Clear all

See what a Moonrider looks like!

26 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

So far the Southsidas have two gigs booked for January. If you've been curious as to what sort of creature a Moonrider is, come see us at these locations:

Southsidas "Wednesday Night Therapy"
January 21, 2009
9pm 'til 12
Emilio's Tapas Bar
1847 W Broad St
Richmond, VA 23220

Southsidas "Saturday Night's All Right!"
January 31, 2009
9pm 'til ?
Bleu Bistro
8982 Quioccasin Rd.,
Richmond, VA 23229

$5.00 cover charge each night - it all goes to the band.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 05/01/2009 5:16 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Great Caesar's Ghost! It's been raining gigs all weekend! Ignore the previous message, here's my current schedule with the Southsidas:

01/16/2009 08:00 PM - The Triple
3306 W. Broad St.
Richmond, Virginia 23230
US
Cost:$5
Description: The Southsidas with Special Guest Houston Scott will rock the Triple.

01/17/2009 09:00 PM - Benny's Tavern
3631 Boulevard
Colonial Heights, Virginia 23834
US
Description: The Southsidas appearing with Special Guest Houston Scott on Harmonica at this well known venue south of Richmond.

01/21/2009 09:00 PM - Emilio's Tapas Bar
1847 W Broad St
Richmond, Virginia 23220
US
Description: Join the Southsidas for a night of RockaFunkaBluesabilly good times!

01/31/2009 08:00 PM - Plaza Bowl
521 E. Southside Plaza
Richmond, Virginia 23224
US
Description: Duckpin Bowling and Rockafunkabluesabilly!

02/07/2009 09:00 PM - The Triple
3306 W. Broad St.
Richmond, Virginia 23224
US
Description: Rockin' out at a classic Richmond hangout

02/14/2009 09:00 PM - Benny's Tavern
3631 Boulevard
US
Description: The Southsidas will appear with Special Guest Houston Scott on Harmonica at this well known venue south of Richmond.

02/28/2009 09:00 PM - Breakers West Broad
9127 West Broad Street,
Richmond, Virginia 23294
US
Description: Come join the Southsidas at this west end hotspot, located in the TJ Maxx shopping center, across from Sam Ash Music and Guitar Center.

03/14/2009 09:00 PM - Benny's Tavern
3631 Boulevard
US
Description: The Southsidas will appear with Special Guest Houston Scott on Harmonica at this well known venue south of Richmond.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Posted : 11/01/2009 11:00 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice to see the gigs coming in. It's just a wee bit too far for me, but I'll be with you in spirit. Rock the joint!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 12/01/2009 12:29 am
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Wow, busy schedule.
Are these regular gigs, or are they all new venues for you guys?

So... the gig reports should start rollin' in next week? :wink:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 12/01/2009 12:32 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Wow, busy schedule.
Are these regular gigs, or are they all new venues for you guys?

So... the gig reports should start rollin' in next week? :wink:

We're just getting started - we had our first gig back in September, but then our drummer decided he wanted to pursue the original music he'd been writing. Since then we've been auditioning drummers (boy was THAT an experience :shock: ). We finally found a suitable one last week. He'll have three whole practices with us when we load in Friday.

The Friday and Saturday gigs are helping out our "special guest" who's band imploded on stage last Friday.

Posted : 12/01/2009 7:37 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Since then we've been auditioning drummers (boy was THAT an experience :shock: )
Hopefully it wasn't too much of a Spinal Tap experience. :lol:

Posted : 13/01/2009 12:40 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Since then we've been auditioning drummers (boy was THAT an experience :shock: )
Hopefully it wasn't too much of a Spinal Tap experience. :lol:

I was astounded at how many drummers there are that actually get offended if you ask them to keep a steady, simple beat for a section of a song. We'd get get comments back like, "I'm a feel drummer, not a human metronome." or "do I look like some trained monkey on a stool?" We do an extreme range of material that ranges from jazz classics to grunge, and at times a "trained monkey human metronome on a stool" is exactly what we need.

Our first drummer spoiled us by not only having some stellar chops, but also being a top notch musician. Our new drummer is stepping in to those shoes admirably.

Posted : 13/01/2009 3:05 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I had a request for a gig reports, so here goes . . .

The Triple

This was a pickup gig in the classic sense of the word. Our bass player had been helping out a local blues band that imploded rather spectacularly on stage the Friday before. That band leader asked if we'd pick up the remaining gigs he had booked and feature him as "special guest". It was short notice, and both our drummer and the other guitar player were scheduled to be out of town. Our original drummer was available for the night, he joined us to fill in on drums, so we rolled into the Triple as a four piece instead of our normal five.

The venue itself is an "upscale" pool hall that has a restaurant/bar in one half and pool tables in the other half. When we got there it was pretty obvious they were geared more to solo singer/songwriters and duos than a full blown band. The "sound man" arrived about 40 minutes before start time, and seemed taken aback that we'd completely set up (including our own PA) and were in the process of finishing up the sound check when he got there. He did act as our ears in the audience to let us know if things got too out of balance. Oh - yeah - our "special guest" rolled in about halfway through the second set :roll:

From a technical standpoint the performance was about a C+. Between song timing was slower than normal,since we had to coach the drummer on all the new songs we'd added, Plus, once our harmonica playing "special guest" finally arrived we needed to accommodate key changes that he needed since he'd only been able to find two of his harmonicas :shock: Once we got the songs started, they rocked, but with the added delays between songs it was hard to keep the energy level up.

The crowd itself was mostly "hip urban professionals." We got a lot of polite applause, but they didn't seem to connect well with our eclectic blend of music. One of our musical goals is to "evoke the incredible musical diversity of a working class community." Our sets are likely to include anything from traditional folk songs to grunge. Mostly they listened politely and seemed to enjoy the music - except for one couple who "got" us, and promptly jumped up and starting dancing their butts off.

Overall it wasn't a horrible gig, but one we were glad to make it through. We have another gig there on the 7th of next month. Hopefully the extra time to advertise will bring a crowd that's more in touch with what we do, but after the 7th, I don't know if we'll want to book there again.

Benny's Tavern was a horse with entirely different stripes. I'll be back later with the skinny on that one.

Posted : 18/01/2009 4:01 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Benny's Tavern

At first glance Benny's appears to be a roadhouse in the classic mode. As you walk in the front door you're greeted with a sign stating, "ABSOLUTELY NO WEAPONS ALLOWED IN THE BUILDING AT ANY TIME." The floors are easy to clean concrete, and the tables and chairs are sturdy, utilitarian, and obviously meant to take a beating. Rough and ready first impressions aside, you quickly realize that everything is also spotless, and the staff is a warm and friendly group of people.

We arrived two hours early and were greeted by Danny, who was running sound for us that night. The venue provides PA and lights for visiting bands, so all we needed to bring was instruments, amps, and personal vocal mikes if we didn't want to use the house mikes. Danny helped us position mikes, and we were done with setup and a thorough sound check in slightly over an hour. Danny was a true professional, and added a great deal to our performance this night. We were getting compliments on our sound just from the sound check!

This was our second of the four "fill-in" gigs we picked up for our "special guest", who had emailed us earlier to let us know he wasn't going to be there. He was going to sit in with a tribute band at the National instead. That worked just fine for us!

Once we started playing, the party was on! Overall an A grade performance. Timing and 'tween song patter was sharp and snappy, Danny kept the sound near perfect on and off stage, and we were just relaxed, happy and having a blast. Unlike the previous night, the crowd absolutely got what we were doing, and enthusiatically joined in with us. We had people dancing, cheering and singing along almost from the first song to last call. We're booked back in there on Valentine's Day, and we're already looking forward to it.

Posted : 18/01/2009 7:30 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Glad the first gig didn't prove too much of a downer. The second one more than made up for it, by the sound of it.
Thanks for the report.

Posted : 19/01/2009 2:25 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good to see you got one really good gig out of the two, hope the next few go as well as the second one!
Our sets are likely to include anything from traditional folk songs to grunge.

So - care to share the set list? All covers, or some originals as well?

Fingers crossed for your next outing!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/01/2009 4:14 am
(@alangreen)

Nice to see the gigs coming in. It's just a wee bit too far for me, but I'll be with you in spirit. Rock the joint!

Vic

Me too - I got the MySpace invitation and really fancied coming along but it is a bit of a hike.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 19/01/2009 11:08 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Glad the first gig didn't prove too much of a downer. The second one more than made up for it, by the sound of it.
Thanks for the report.

Our second stint at the Triple will have a lot more advance publicity, we'll have our regular crew, and we'll know the venue isn't able (or desiring) to offer much support. There's no doubt the performance will be better. There will also be more of our following there to model the appropriate behavior to those poor tragically hip regulars. It's not healthy to be so obsessed with image!

Posted : 19/01/2009 6:32 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Keep us posted. Your perspective and narrative are interesting.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 19/01/2009 7:17 pm
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter

So - care to share the set list? All covers, or some originals as well?

Here's the set lists we're using for this batch of gigs. They're not "hard and fast" though. We have another 50 or so songs we pull from for requests, and we'll also honor "encore" repeat requests in the fourth set if you provide the proper encouragement :twisted:

Set 1
SS RICHMOND BLUES(Intro)- Original
SUZIE Q - CCR
EVIL WAYS - Santana
I'M A MAN - Yardbirds
STORMY - Classics IV
COCAINE - JJ Cale
ANOTHER ROUND - Original
DIXIE CHICKEN - Little Feat
NOT FADE AWAY - Buddy Holly
GOING DOWN THAT ROAD FEELIN BAD - Traditional
RED HOUSE - Muddy Waters
HOOTCHIE COOTCHIE MAN - Howling Wolf

Set 2
SS RICHMOND BLUES(Intro)
BLUE ON BLACK - Kenny Wayne Shepard
BE BOP A LULA - Umpteen Bajillion people
AT LAST - Etta James
YOUR MOMMA DON'T DANCE - Loggins and Messina
FUNK 49 - James Gang
HONKY TONK WOMAN - Stones
DESPERADO - Eagles
YOUR'E SIXTEEN - Ringo
MUSTANG SALLY - Umpteen Bajillion people
WALKIN THE DOG - Umpteen Bajillion people

Set 3
SS RICHMOND BLUES(Intro)
FIRE DOWN BELOW - Bob Seeger
THE WEIGHT - The Band
MONDAY MORNING LAMENT - Original
INTO THE MYSTIC - Van Morrison
ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER - Hendrix
BEST OF MY LOVE - Eagles
MARY JANE'S LAST DANCE - Tom Petty
SWEET CAROLINE - Neil Diamond
MAGNOLIA - JJ Cale
KEY TO THE HIGHWAY - Delaney, Bonnie and Friends
KANSAS CITY - Umpteen Bajillion people

Set 4
SOUTHSIDE RICHMOND BLUES (Full)
WORKING CLASS HERO - Greenday
HEY JOE - Deep Purple
I SHOT THE SHERRIFF - Clapton
6TH AVE HEARTACHE - Wallflowers
BIG BOSS MAN - Umpteen Bajillion people
KNOCK ON HEAVEN'S DOOR - Bob Dylan
STATESBORO BLUES - Allman Bros.
STORMY MONDAY - Umpteen Bajillion people
WOMAN WOMAN - Gary Puckett and the Union Gap

Posted : 19/01/2009 8:09 pm
Page 1 / 2