Clear all

Seven Ages Of Rock. (UK TV Content)

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The BBC is showing a series starting at 21:10 this Saturday entitled the Seven Ages of Rock. Looks like interesting viewing. This week they focus on Jimi Hendrix.

If I'm still sober after the FA Cup Final I'll certainly be tuning in.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 17/05/2007 6:07 am
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Ahh...yes. I heard about this show. Sounds like it will be very, very interesting. Let us know how it is. ;)

Posted : 17/05/2007 1:41 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Wonder if BBC America will be carrying it

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 17/05/2007 2:03 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Auntie Beeb's been pretty kind to us the last couple of years or so, I've noticed......this looks like one for the video recorder.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 17/05/2007 2:11 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

AAAARRRGGHHH!!! Missed it. Fell asleep after the football (surprised I didn't fall asleep during the football :twisted: ) and didn't wake up till gone 10 o'clock.

Was it any good?

8)

Posted : 21/05/2007 3:47 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I taped it but I haven't watched it yet.....by the way, you missed it TWICE - it was on last night (Sunday) at 11pm on BBC1....

This is (was) the first part of a 7-part series....the rest are as follows....

White Light, White Heat.....how David Bowie and bands such as Pink Floyd and The Velvet Underground mixed music and art....

Blank Generation....the sound of Anarchy emerges from London and NY, giving birth to the Sex Pistols, Patti Smith and The Ramones.

Never Say Die....a look at heavy metal, the longest surviving genre in rock, featuring Deep Purple, Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne.

We Are The Champions....with the rise of MTV, stadium rockers like Springsteen and events such as Live Aid, rock began to influence international culture and politics.

Left Of The Dial....the American alternative rock scene launched the careers of bands like REM and Nirvana, so loved by Generation X

What The World Is Waiting For....the rise of the British Indie Scene, featuring Noel Gallagher of Oasis.

Looks a good, well-rounded series to me....although I'd have liked to have seen a programme about 50's R'n'R, and the Bluesmen who influenced the likes of Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Elvis etc....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 21/05/2007 5:18 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hey, where are the QUEEN ????

Posted : 21/05/2007 6:54 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Hey, where are the QUEEN ????

In Buckingham Palace, probably watching "7 Ages of Rock" with Prince Philip.....

Vic

Posted : 21/05/2007 8:14 pm
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

.....by the way, you missed it TWICE - it was on last night (Sunday) at 11pm on BBC1....

Yeah, so I discovered. Just my luck. :cry:

I'll make a concerted effort to watch the rest of the series. I didn't bother getting a new video machine after my last one packed up. We don't use one much anyway. It's times like this that I miss it.

8)

Posted : 22/05/2007 5:51 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Vic - rock didn't begin with Hendrix, it'd been around for a good 10 years before he came on the scene. Where's that era disappeared? What about Bill Haley, Big Bopper, Gene Vincent, Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, etc., etc.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 22/05/2007 10:57 am
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^Agreed. I was stunned to find out it'd start in 1962ish (Bob Dylan). Chuck Berry, as John Lennon said, if there was another name for rock and roll, it'd be "Chuck Berry."

What they should have done was...

Week 1- Birth of Rock (Chuck Berry)
2- Blues Rock (Hendrix)
3- Art Rock (Pink Floyd)
4- Punk (Sex Pistols)
5- Heavy Metal (Sabbath)
6- Alt Rock (Nirvana)
7- Indie (Oasis?)

What they should have done is remove Stadium Rock, and put something more important there. Oh well, seems like it'll be great overall.

Posted : 22/05/2007 11:05 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Maybe something like....

Week 1 - Early Days.....Elvis, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly etc with a nod to the old bluesmen.
Week 2 - British Influence....Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, Kinks etc.
Week 3 - Psychedelia....Hendrix, Floyd, San Francisco & California scene (The Woodstock Generation...)
Week 4 - Heavy Metal...Led Zep, Sabbath, Purple then a look at the shredders...EVH, Satriani etc...
Week 5 - Progressive Rock - Yes, ELP, King Crimson etc
Week 6 - Punk Rock.....Pistols, Clash, Ramones, Stooges etc
Week 7 - Grunge and Indie rock....Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Oasis etc

One thing missing from there is the entire glam-rock scene of the early 70's....but I don't know how you'd fit that in, or how big an influence it'd be, although bands like T Rex and Slade were huge in the UK....Noel Gallagher, for one, cites Slade as a major influence....and Bowie was one of the leaders of that particular trend.....

Vic

Posted : 22/05/2007 12:45 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Jeez, STILL no Queen in your list, Vic. (and I am talking about the Queen, which brought Bohemian Rhapsody to the world)

Posted : 22/05/2007 2:11 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Jeez, STILL no Queen in your list, Vic. (and I am talking about the Queen, which brought Bohemian Rapsodhy to the world)

To be honest, Rahul, I don't know where you'd fit Queen in....when they first came into the public view, they were very much associated with the glam-rock scene, and, although they were an excellent band, they didn't exactly start any new musical trends, did they?

Vic

Posted : 22/05/2007 2:18 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

That series sounds a lot like a series called "History of Rock & Roll" (or something close to that). It was a 10 part series shown on VH1, which is part of the MTV family of stations. They basically did the same thing - tracing rock & roll from its origins in the blues, country, etc. from the late 1940s to present (it was done in the mid 90s). Not a bad series, catch it if you see it listed.

Posted : 22/05/2007 2:37 pm
Page 1 / 2