Clear all

Snickers Commercial

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jmaikos)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Has anyone seen the Snickers commercial, "The Song of Satisfaction" where a guy is playing a guitar? You can view the clip at youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HBlBSrXU4

I've watched that commercial a few times and it seems to me that he is playing the guitar backwards (i.e. playing a right handed guitar left handed). The pick guard is at the top rather than at the bottom.

It's entirely possible that he's not really playing the guitar, but is it also possible to play a guitar backwards (or upside down, depending on how you view it)? I think that Hendrix was a lefty and played a righty guitar. I believe he restrung the guitar to make it lefty, though.

Any thoughts?

Posted : 11/10/2006 2:36 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

If the guy in the youtube vid is actually playing there is a good chance he's restrung the guitar for left handed playing - a la Jimi.

It is possible to play left handed without restringing. Albert King springs to mind.

Lifes difficult enough without making things any harder. :lol: :lol:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 11/10/2006 3:08 am
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

It's a little fuzzy, but it looks as though the thick strings are towards the bottom, and when he fingers the chord it looks like an open G, but upside-down. I think it's a righty strung guitar and he's playing it like Albert.

Posted : 11/10/2006 4:26 am
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Doyle Bramhall II plays lefthanded, but uses a righty guitar with no changes to the strings. Plays a pretty mean guitar, too.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 11/10/2006 11:29 am
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

I work with a guy that plays a right handed guitar upside down. He had to learn that way because he learnt on a friends guitar. He can now play that way AND on a left handed guitar. I didn't know he could play at all until I brought my guitar to work. It was on a table and he picked it up upside down and I thought to myself, man he doesn't even know how to hold it. Then he just starts playing like that, and about 3 times better than I can play at that. :oops: Anyway, sorry for the rambling, just thought it was interesting.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

Posted : 13/10/2006 2:50 am
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well, redneckrocker, it seems to me, you should get to know that fella a little better. Even if he plays differently from you, you might could learn a few things from him.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 13/10/2006 12:33 pm
(@rhbdz17)

Has anyone seen the Snickers commercial, "The Song of Satisfaction" where a guy is playing a guitar? You can view the clip at youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HBlBSrXU4

I've watched that commercial a few times and it seems to me that he is playing the guitar backwards (i.e. playing a right handed guitar left handed). The pick guard is at the top rather than at the bottom.

It's entirely possible that he's not really playing the guitar, but is it also possible to play a guitar backwards (or upside down, depending on how you view it)? I think that Hendrix was a lefty and played a righty guitar. I believe he restrung the guitar to make it lefty, though.

Any thoughts?

He's an actor named Jack Mulcahey. I knew him in NY. He was actually in band and plays guitar.

Posted : 13/01/2007 2:31 pm
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

I work with a guy that plays a right handed guitar upside down. He had to learn that way because he learnt on a friends guitar. He can now play that way AND on a left handed guitar. I didn't know he could play at all until I brought my guitar to work. It was on a table and he picked it up upside down and I thought to myself, man he doesn't even know how to hold it. Then he just starts playing like that, and about 3 times better than I can play at that. :oops: Anyway, sorry for the rambling, just thought it was interesting.

Ha ha, very cool though. :) For some reason, those commercials get on my nerve. :roll:

Posted : 13/01/2007 4:46 pm