Clear all

So.... it's been a while

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@boogie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Hi all, not sure how many of you remember me, but Boogie's back. What a year or so it's been. Work and life got... well... busy. A year ago January, our company had its first ever layoff (and then we did a few more). I was not affected... well at least not directly. A significant number of old friends lost their jobs. Open positions were closed, so we had to make do with that we had and I ended up picking up my additional 'fair share'.

So I made a few decisions about where I wanted and needed to spend my time.

I was becoming very passionate about my long distance bicycling and decided to set a new goal: I was going to ride the Seattle to Portland Bicycle Classic (200+ miles) in one day (rather than the two days I had previously ridden) so I focused on training at the gym and on the road. Oh... I did it! We had a large group (11 of us) riding together and we could only ride as fast as the slowest rider. It took longer than I wanted (over 12 hours of actual saddle time and about 15.5 - 16 hours of total time; too many long rests), but I was proud of my accomplishment. This year, I'm am forming a small ride group (5) and we shooting for no more than 10 hours of ride time (hopefully no more than 11-ish hours end-to-end). Oh... and I'm doing about 7 other organized bicycle ride events this year which are long and/or have lots of elevation climb. Not bad for a 50 year old, huh?

With all that going on, I got more focused on using my 'other' free time for guitar practice and spent less time online. Basically gave up TV (not that I watched much anyway), various forums, etc.... I switched music schools at the first of this year and joined a 10 week 60s ensemble class. A lot of solo and group acts performed for 100+ people at a local jazz/blues club on March 9. What a blast! I was little nervous and rough at the start, but loosened up around the 3rd song (or so I remember). I am waiting for the performance DVD and then I will post. We did some fun songs!

What else? My wife and I watched our oldest leave the nest and start college. She's not far away (90 minutes), but still there was lots of planning, school visits, moving her out, etc.... I taught our second oldest how to drive (2 down and 1 to go).

Anyway... Vic Lewis and Dan Talbot found me on Facebook and friended me. I realized how much I missed the community aspect of GuitarNose, so I'll be popping in from time to time. I'm going to peruse the boards and see what's up.

Posted : 23/03/2010 2:09 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice to see you back!

Your name came up on those "friend suggestions" on FB - knew the name, couldn't quite place it. Saw we had one mutual friend - Dan - so I asked him who you were. I was pretty sure you were from GN, and Dan confirmed it - hey, we even played on his "Summertime Blues" jam together!

Good to hear things are going well. That biking sounds like hard work, though! (shudders, and slinks off.....)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/03/2010 3:34 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I was big into that cycling stuff through the '90s. Now I'm just big! Takes a lot of time and effort to keep it up, and even before I got knocked out of it by a motorcycle accident that nearly tore my right arm off in 2000 (a freak single vehicle accident), I was getting terrified of cell phoning drivers. God bless you and watch over you! Good to see you back on GN!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 23/03/2010 9:09 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Welcome back Boogie! Nice to see you on the boards again. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 23/03/2010 10:04 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Welcome back, Boogie. 8)
There's a really old PM waiting for you re. getting the Riff thread going again.
We did and it died a second death. :lol: So ignore that...
Post those vids when you get the DVD, looking forward to it.
Glad to hear you're doing well. :)

Don

Posted : 23/03/2010 6:08 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Welcome back, Boogie!

Jim

Posted : 26/03/2010 3:48 pm