Clear all

The Jam Sessions are back on

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The uproar that was our house for 6 months has calmed and almost organized and put away. My bass playing friend has had his own set of things slow just a bit. Soooo, we resume our 2-3 times a month jam sessions. He's much more experienced that I, so we play what I'm capable of playing. That list is ever increasing. Right now, though, we'll pick up where we left off, chosing about some songs each session from a list of about 2 dozen or so.

Most of the stuff on the list are real common songs from the likes of Petty, CCR, Stones, etc. His band has learned Dead Flowers. I can't wait to play that with him. We'll also be downstairs until I finish the small music room. No biggie. It's more comfortable, and I've got that Jet City combo amp down there that does a decent job when I manage to get the right mix. I'm gonna head down after my son wakes up to get it dialed in. It's a single channel amp and I have not put a pedal on her yet. Soon. I still don't know what all this thing can do at volumes I can handle. It's not been played a whole lot in the last few months due to being in the back end of several gathering areas during out downstairs remodel.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 11/11/2010 12:28 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Roy that's kewl back in the saddle again. Should be alot more fun than playing by yourself.

I'm like TR and am back to square one myself. Everything blew up and it's only myself and the bass player left. He may have found another guitar player and is trying to russle up a drummer but we haven't played much in the last month and I'm getting a bit antsy to do something.

Good luck with the jamming.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 11/11/2010 1:21 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Excellent news :-)

I'm sure you'll really enjoy the sessions :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Posted : 11/11/2010 6:25 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yep! Good news Roy!

I envy you... my last jam session was... was...

Well, my first jam session will be...

Posted : 11/11/2010 11:53 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

What a good time. He came in stating that they (the band he's in) have been practicing Dead Flowers some, and then he was telling me about a song he saw a band do at some open mic called "river or something in the title" and that it was by Neil Young and did I know that one. Heck yeah.

So to recap, he came in wanting to start off by playing two of my favorite songs to play. I was stoked. I'm not sure one could walk into my house and pick two songs to start with that I'd be happier with.

Then I suggested YCAGWYW from the Stones and he picked it up fairly quickly. That brought him to Elvis's Promised land somehow which we played that pretty much right after the Stones' song (and after a brief flipping of pages in my chord sheet book). We did a few from last winter's folder then closed with CSNY's "Ohio".

I was equipped with my Jet City 20w 1 channel combo and it did just fine. I found a spot in it that would play decent electric tones with the guitar volume dialed at about 2 or 3, using the middle position on the three way toggle, I just laid open the bottom p/u for as much grit as I needed for any song and dialed her back when it was time to clean up.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/11/2010 1:09 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey Roy thats great! Sounds like you had fun. Our little project needs to get going again. We have been the last 2 weeks in Florida and our drummer had more surgery on his hand. Seems they are cleaning out an infection or something. We are still motivated and will continue. While in Florida, we did a weekend in St. Augustine. We sampled a lot of the local entertainment. Some sounded better than we do but there were some that sounded worse, and I'm talking with me and ThunderFingers singing! Of course there were the staples of solo acts with their guitars that sing like birds. I think people with a voice that can play do the solo act for all the benifits it yields. One band we watched had a girl singing and they did Alanis Morrisette, (and Alanis is from less than an hour from where I live, ironic don't you think :P ) Cheryl Crowe, Blondie, Meridith Brooks and lots more really good rock with female vox. The band was tight, nothing flashy but they sound great and the singer had a nice voice. (Other things about her were nice to but I'll not further discuss that here) They didn't play too loud and the crowd loved them. A band at another place was jamming on some MatchBox 20. Ummm .. not so good. Out of key vocals and the music was a little weak. We saw a real cool jazz band at a Mexican resturant / bar and they were good but very loud. Go figure? Tiny amps, a saxiphone, guitar and upright bass. No music I recognized but they were good. Of course John Winters had his solo thing going (he was actually sitting behind us at the mexican resturant) and he plays and sings as good as ever. He is a sixtyish guy with more talent than he knows what to do with. There was a girl singing and playing guitar at Scarlet O'Hara's and she had a wonderful voice too.

Sorry Roy, didn't mean to hijack the thread, point is St. Augustine has an awsome scene. It really makes me want to get back jamming and working towards the goal. Point being, keep up the good work yourself!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 12/11/2010 1:18 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I got a note from him. He said it was one of our best sessions so far. Nice. 8)

And, he's trying to encourage me to attend an open mic that friend of his holds somehwere across town, and to not leave my guitar at home. Yikes! Sounds like a December outing with his schedule for the rest of the month, and it goes without saying that it's head-dependent. I can handle about an hour with ear plugs jammed in and no fever, etc. 2 hours a few weeks back at another friends gig, but It was too long and paid the price. I'll keep posted what could be my first live "performance".

It's funny how something thats seemed like it was happening way too slow is now happening way too fast.

TR, I must have missed that bit about your drummer and hand surgery. More likely is that I did read it and summarily forgot it. :roll: Oh well. (That test happens on 11/22 for 5 hours.) Anyhow, best of luck about your drummer and I hope he's able to get back on the skins soon. And as always, I'm glad you had a good time in Fla and I hope one day you'll time a Rocky Mount lunch or something into the travel plans. :)

Roy

Posted : 13/11/2010 1:57 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I thought about giving you a holler Roy! The trip is just so darn tiring. I'm gonna go so far as to promise next time you will hear from me. Yeah, our drummer has had a breakup with his girl, detox, moved back home with his mom, hand surgery (on his reattached hand) and a break from drumming. I think it is time for a new fresh start. You should give that open mic a try. I'm itching to play in front of people right now. One thing I didn't mention about the St. Augustine scene was all the street musicians. I could have done that. :lol: Most of them saddly appear to be just trying to raise money for a bottle or a rock or whatever they do. Hey, I know! I'll pick you up on my next trip through and you and me can be street musicians in St. Augustine. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 13/11/2010 3:34 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Next time, Holler! :D

Yeah man, we could do some busking. You sing a song, then I sing a song. One will tip to keep you going on, and some will tip for me to stop. We win both ways. :mrgreen:

Roy

Posted : 13/11/2010 8:26 pm