Clear all

The Stones are releasing a re-mastered 'Exile

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I hear it has 10 new tracks supposedly recorded around that time frame. Only sold at Target Department Stores in in the US and on iTunes. Has anyone heard this yet? I'm hoping that this isn't some lame stuff that you normally get when they put out stuff that wasn't good enough to begin with? I'll get mine tomorrow if it's any good.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/05/2010 3:23 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Let me know if it is.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 23/05/2010 3:54 am
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I've heard a couple interviews with Mick about the new tracks. I haven't heard any of the tracks yet... but they weren't rejects - they were unfinished. The music was recorded in 1970, but the lyrics were just written in the last year.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 23/05/2010 7:53 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Review in the New York Times this morning:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/arts/music/23stones.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 23/05/2010 9:26 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've heard a couple of the "new" tracks - both Plundered My Soul and Following The River would have fit nicely on the original album, IMO.

I'll definitely be buying the remastered "EOMS," hopefully sooner rather than later.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 23/05/2010 11:13 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for posting that link, rico. Nice read. The columnist's favorite 'Stones albums are "Sticky Fingers" and "Let It Bleed", also from that era. Although I do not agree, I cannot disagree. Anything from Beggar's Banquet through "It's Only Rock n Roll" wins me over. BUT, reading him say that and then being excited about a re-done "Loving Cup" tells me he's at least into that album. "Loving Cup" is not exactly main stream Classic Rock. It's a fun one to play in a single guitar arrangement. Perhaps i'll see if it's in the ESD already.

I was unsure if the writer would do it or not, but he did. He wrote "Rocks Off" in the Times. (the first song on "Exile") Thinking about it, I could make one heck of an media player Playlist" out of the semi-hidden jewels from the Stones catalog. I would surely put "Rocks Off" right up at the top. "Dead Flowers" too, at one time, but not now. That song had tons of support from die-hards long before Townes Van Zandt's cover graced the closing of "The Big Lebowski".

Oh, and be forewarned! The Get Your Ya Yas out live album will be going through a similar treatment come November. It was mentioned in a one page ad at the back of my brand, spanking new GYYYO song/TAB book I got a few weeks back. (great book, btw)

Seems the 'Stones, particularly Mick and Keef, are still living their marriage to each other. It's fascinating to me how each of them can continually contradict the other and still get on. The fact that Keef wanted to keep the mysterious tracks as true to their form as possible is re-assuring. Not that I didn't like later stones efferts - especially 'Bridges - but I want to hear the late 60's and early 70's Rolling Stones. It will be interesting to hear his aged vocals on old tracks.

And finally, Don Was served as producer along with Keef and Mick (The Glimmer Twins). One only has to look at "Bridges to Babylon", "Voo Doo Lounge" and "A Bigger Bang" to see that the combination works well. ('Bridges did use a few other producers for a few of the songs)

Barring major change in plans, we're heading that way mid-day. I'll report back tonight. I'm getting the $20 pack, which has remastered 18, new 10, a pick and a tee-shirt that my wife will inherit by default. (Nobody puts big-boy shirts in their little fun kits....jerks)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 23/05/2010 2:30 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I am a long time Stones fan. Exile is my third least favorite. there are some gems. guess I am needy.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 23/05/2010 8:54 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I am a long time Stones fan. Exile is my third least favorite. there are some gems. guess I am needy.
Third least fav? What are the two least favorites?

I don't have the whole catalog, but I never got 'Undercover on CD after having it on Casette or vinyl when it came out. It took a bit for me to dig Steel Wheels, too.

Roy

Posted : 23/05/2010 9:11 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I got this mid-afternoon and gave it a good spin. Here's my take:

I'll start on the remastering before getting on to the newish stuff. I sampled quite a few of the newly remastered tracks. Starting off with one of my very favorite songs, "Rocks Off". There is more clarity and definition, but exactly how much varies from track to track it seems. I do like the increased clarity, but that's just me. I hear the music better with this, expecially the lows.

OK, for the newish music. 10 tracks. 5 labled as "[Alternative Takes]", as if we've heard them all on something else. I didn't recognize 2 of the 5, and the song ("Good Time Women") that eventually morphed into "Tumbling Dice" was different enough to enjoy as not being a overplayed classic that it became.

All of it would fit nicely into the original 'Exile album. Well, except for track #10, and instrumental probably more suited to Bill Kirchen than any of the Stones. It's only 1:47 anyhow. A neat little piece.

The 'Times writer was enamoured over the "Loving Cup" version. I still like the original. This version is probably more polished, however, and I bet more people will like it better than not. It's also a full minute longer than the original, mostly due to the slower pace. It does open it up to finer guitar work. Might even be some slide in it. Tough to tell. It probably fits the 'Exile better than the original version.

Keef singing "Soul Survivor" on track #8 automatically adds a different twist to it. A bit of ad lib going on too from the sounds of it.

As for the rest, I don't think that if they had made it to the original album that we'd be talking about these songs as classic, Rolling Stones Standards. However, what makes this and other Stones albums of that period great are very strong supporting songs. These could have easily been part of that period.

I think my favorite track is the slow ballad, "Following The River". That may change 20 times in the next 20 years. :lol:

I'm satisfied. Oh, the best part? You are not forced to re-purchase the 'Exile album. You can buy the 10 tracks for $10. Seems fair enough to me.

Roy

Posted : 24/05/2010 12:25 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Since I never had Exile I will check it out. They had some samples on npr last week, sounded good to me. 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 24/05/2010 2:25 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And the #1 album in the UK this week is.......

Exile On Main Street, by the Rolling Stones. Taa-daa!

I need to get the CD. Been listening to it today on cassette! Hints have been dropped re early birthday presents.....

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 25/05/2010 12:24 am