The Store is open!!!

60 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
19.5 K Views
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I know this may sound stupid but, what about the big companies like Fender, Gibson, & Ibanez etc.etc... After all we do give THEM FREE advertisements. I'm not saying i won't do my share but for the amount of members we have and the thousands that i am sure to come it doesn't sound that stupid. What do you all think of this?

P.S.  Oh yea, I do know that if the big companies were to contribute they might what to control things here but a line would have to be drawen. After all they shouldn't complain to much they are already getting a ton of FREE advertising!

Posted : 12/03/2004 2:05 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Hell yeah - the number of times I mentioned and recomended certain brands *which I now refuse to do untill they start paying up*  after all as consumers if they didn't have us they would be nowhere!

Posted : 12/03/2004 3:42 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Thank You Pet! That's what I'M SCREAMING where would you be without US!

Posted : 12/03/2004 3:48 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I know that GN does reviews for certain products *still refuse to add to free advertising* why not ask the fat cats to make a donation for all the publicity they get?  I mean when something has been reviewed it goes in the news letter and on the site, and how many GN users use the links and go to the site of reviewed item, and offen buy the product!
That is a hell of alot of exposure!! Now I also know that GN sometimes gets stuff to give away and discounts on things, even so they still get at least three ways of advertising and world wide coverage - that has got to be worth a decent sized donation surely?

Pet

Posted : 12/03/2004 4:46 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Just to add to that, why not say for every GN user who buys a product as result of review the company in question donates $2 to GN?

Its a free site to users, why should it be free for businesses to get their products seen by the 15 million people who vist this site on a regular basis?

Food for thought

Posted : 12/03/2004 4:53 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Well we have the consumer reports issue then.  If a manufacturer pays us for a review, what kind of review would they expect to see?

They aren't going to pay the big bucks for a review that says "this sucks".

Posted : 12/03/2004 12:29 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I wasn't saying take back handers for good reviews - lol

Just for the fact the publicity is so wide, imagine how much it would cost for them to cover that amount themselfs?

And since it's not you / the reviewer receiving the money - would that still be considered a little uh hum?

These were only ideas, just like my Disco Nick download, the pay per view lessons, the survivor special and the DHodge and Nick in hot pants fun run.

Posted : 12/03/2004 12:38 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

you are sick, sick, sick

Posted : 12/03/2004 12:41 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Well if it "sucks" than they should thank us for telling them so. And then they can go back and modify it so it will help the customer after all WE are the ones that will be useing the product. And customer feed back weather good or bad is in the end good for THEM.

Posted : 12/03/2004 12:41 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yes I am  - SO?

Right on tracker, it's a bit blind if companies only wan't to hear the good things, and they would be deluding themselfs if they thought everyone would like their stuff - bad or not all feedback is good.

Posted : 12/03/2004 12:45 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I'd pay good money to see a Nick and Dhodge in hotpants Fun Run.  ;)

Well if it "sucks" than they should thank us for telling them so. And then they can go back and modify it so it will help the customer after all WE are the ones that will be useing the product. And customer feed back weather good or bad is in the end good for THEM.

That is how it would be in a perfect world.

Here's the way it works. Let's say I'm a  large guitar making company. I'm in business to make money. I do that by convincing people my xyz guitar is better than everyone else's.  I pay large sums of money to very creative people to help me convince folks of this.

Now, like with magazines, I know the money they make off of subscriptions, newsstand sales etc. will barely cover their production costs. So they rely heavily on advertising for the biggest share of their profit(after all they are in business to make money too)

As, my guitar business has a dedicated advertising budget, I call up said magazines, and tell them I'm going to spend this much and run these ads this year. I would also like you to review some of my products.

Two reasons, one a product review is simple, free advertising. Two, I know the editor in the review department is going to be very careful about what he prints about my company or products, simply because his boss, doesn't want that large advertising budget to go to his competitor. So, if the editor wants to keep his job he'll keep his boss happy.

They'll keep me happy in hopes that I'll spend more money on advertising with them next time around. All I have to do on top of advertising is "gift" them a couple guitars, amps, gadgets, concert tickets, and other perks, occassionally as well, and I'll pretty much get what I want.(what's a few hundred bucks worth of gifts compared to the thousands I'll make in sales)   An "impartial" reviewer touting my products as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Okay, I'm off to sign several artists to well paying contracts to use my equipment and my equipment only. Even if they personally prefer something else.  ;D 8)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 12/03/2004 1:42 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

*sells soul to twisty's xyz* Hey I have to eat!

Posted : 12/03/2004 2:25 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I don't care how much they spend on creative people because if it sucks, I am not going to buy it. And you will never convince me to buy it. I know everyone's different but, if the over all concence it that it doesn't work for you and many others. Then suck up your pride and modify it so it does work for the consumers. I'm sure it doesn't happen ALL the time so it's not like their going to spend millions to come up with a better idea.

Posted : 12/03/2004 2:59 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

We are getting off topic here.  Let's just leave it at it would call into question our integrity if we got paid to do reviews.

It's so much easier to think of this site as an online magazine.  Sure you could just stand at the newsstand and read all the magazines, but don't you buy the ones you like?  How much do you spend on that magazine?  $5 US?  Do you do that once a month?

What is the difference?  Why can't we do that here?

Posted : 12/03/2004 3:36 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

We are getting off topic here.  Let's just leave it at it would call into question our integrity if we got paid to do reviews.

It's so much easier to think of this site as an online magazine.  Sure you could just stand at the newsstand and read all the magazines, but don't you buy the ones you like?  How much do you spend on that magazine?  $5 US?  Do you do that once a month?

What is the difference?  Why can't we do that here?

Good point Nick. No worries, I'll be buying several things from the store and the affiliates listed over the next several weeks and months.  ;D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 12/03/2004 3:38 pm
Page 3 / 4