The Time Has Come

24 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, been taking lessons from the same guitar teacher for a little over a year. Along the way he hasnt pressured me but offered a few times to let me play in one of these quarterly recitals. Well, tonight he was impressed with my progress on Doug Sparlings arragement of The Eagle's Whistle and afterwards he signed me up to play in the Aug 19th recital.

I know its no huge deal but its big to me. First time ever playing guitar in front of people and first time in almost 15 years perfoming at all.

I am so excited.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 26/05/2006 1:43 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Good luck Geoo! :D

Hope you have a blast! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 26/05/2006 2:11 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It is a big deal.

Everybody remembers their first gig. Just like you know what. :D

Congrats. Now practice up so you'll be sharp. But don't worry yourself to death. Remember, it's all about having fun. So prepare your mind now to relax. Get a good night's sleep before the show, drink lots of water. Then you will feel your best. Don't eat too much the day of the show.

Sorry for the lecture. But most people get a case of the nerves, so just giving you a little advice ahead of time.

HAVE FUN, and make sure to give us a report.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 26/05/2006 2:22 am
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

Geoo,

Hey, that's great and exciting news. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do a great job!

--
doug

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

Posted : 26/05/2006 4:35 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good luck, Geoo!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 26/05/2006 5:30 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Break a leg! (Hals- und Beinbruch!)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 26/05/2006 12:23 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Come on Wes I don't remember my first you know what!

Geoo - I'm sure you'll do fine, you'll have plenty of time to practice before then. I'm sure you'll do fine.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 26/05/2006 1:00 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Come on Wes I don't remember my first you know what!

Oh man do I remember mine. She was so SWEET and choclately. Ate it so slowly, must have taken me half an hour to finish. Oh wait. We ARE all talking about Mr Goodbars (candy) arent we? :oops:

Thanks for the support and for the advice too Wes. Any more pointers are welcomed. I probably will be a little nervous by the date of the recital but right now I am not at all. I can already play it pretty decent, I just need to pretty it up a bit.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 26/05/2006 1:06 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

geoo,

way to go my man, wes is absolutley right, you will never forget it, gigging has a way
of consuming you, its the biggest rush and after a good performance, the feeling you have inside is incredible, my first gig, i was so nervous, i mean man i was geeking, and wes, gave me some great advice and i before i went on with my band i remembered thinking " remember
the advice wes gave you " relax, breath and have fun" and also exactly what he told you,
now i think i would rather play live than you know what, did i say that ? lol, no but its close,
break a leg 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 26/05/2006 11:03 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

now i think i would rather play live than you know what, did i say that ? lol, no but its close,
break a leg

LOL, that would make for a great poll question.

My first gig lasted a lot longer than my first you know what. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 27/05/2006 8:19 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

My first gig lasted a lot longer than my first you know what.

:lol:

Good luck Jim!

Posted : 27/05/2006 9:22 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Man, has the two or three months already gone by? The recital is THIS weekend and I am so not ready. Last week my instructor told me he not only wanted me to play "The Eagle's Whistle" but now he also wants me to play "Scarborough Faire". I am so not ready and I should have been practicing these all this time. "The Eagles Whistle" I am decent at. But its not perfect. The other one I am pretty good except for a D chord that I keep screwing up and another chord that i get maybe half the time. First time playing guitar for real people.

Wonder if I can break my fretting hand before Sat? :twisted:

I'll keep you posted

Geoo

Posted : 15/08/2006 12:14 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Man, has the two or three months already gone by? The recital is THIS weekend and I am so not ready. Last week my instructor told me he not only wanted me to play "The Eagle's Whistle" but now he also wants me to play "Scarborough Faire". I am so not ready and I should have been practicing these all this time. "The Eagles Whistle" I am decent at. But its not perfect. The other one I am pretty good except for a D chord that I keep screwing up and another chord that i get maybe half the time. First time playing guitar for real people.

Wonder if I can break my fretting hand before Sat? :twisted:

I'll keep you posted

Geoo

I'd bet money you are farther along than even you think! I felt that way when I first started playing for my church. The only thing you could hear was the shaking of my knees. Well that went away with the very first strum! You'll do great! :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 15/08/2006 12:31 pm
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Relax Geoo, you'll do fine. Remember, you do know the tunes, and if you screw up, you can always start again; it's happened to me. Enjoy the music and that will come through to anyone listening.

Good luck!

Posted : 15/08/2006 5:04 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Good Luck Geoo,

We will be expecting a full report.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 15/08/2006 5:46 pm