Clear all

Very Busy Week

23 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I had a very busy week this last week. My band had shows scheduled for Friday and Saturday nights. Unfortunately, our drummer Kevin fell off a truck and fractured a bone in his hand. He will not be able to play for at least 6 weeks.

We pride ourselves on never missing a gig. So we contacted a young drummer we know named Paul Blackman. He is a great drummer, and very popular with the young people in our town. He agreed. Problem is he doesn't know our songs.

So Wednesday night Paul, Leroy and myself headed down to a local open mic. We were lucky, no one really showed up, so we had a chance to jam for several hours. I took my new 1958 Premier Twin-8 amp down. I was itching to try out the little 5 Watter. I took one of my mics and stands and ran it into the PA. I also hooked up my Fab Tone distortion, chorus and phase. It was awesome. I cranked the amp all the way which gave a nice warm overdrive, slightly distorted. When I stepped on the Fab Tone it was unreal. Sounded like a Mesa/Boogie or Marshall stack. Who says you need 100 Watts to gig?

Paul was very tired and didn't really feel like practicing our set list. So we more or less jammed out. Lots of fun. Later a good friend named Al came in and I let him use my rig. He is a great guitar player. So I just set back for about an hour and enjoyed a beer and some great music.

Thursday night we had a good practice. We were able to get through most of our set list. A friend videotaped the practice, I hope to get it on our website soon. Paul is a very natural drummer and picks things up quick, so knew we would be alright for the gigs. We practiced until Midnight.

Our gig Friday was at a very popular small club called Ditto's. It is in Litchfield, Connecticut which is a very wealthy town. You see some real beautiful girls there. They are also a very popular restaurant with awesome Pizza. In addition to our pay, they always give the band 2 free Pizza's and all the beer we want to drink. We take it easy on the beer, gotta play you know.

We are very popular there and always get a nice crowd. Tonight was no exception. Paul was great on the drums. It was a good show.

Saturday our gig was at a newly opened club called D & J's. We wanted to make a good impression. It is a beautiful place. Leroy and I arrived about 8 PM to set up. By 8:45 we were ready to go. But where was Paul? About 9 o'clock we called him and found out he was in Bridgeport, 60 miles away. The owner had already asked when we would be starting, so it was a little stressful. Paul said he would be there soon (yeah, right). Finally, at 10 o'clock the place was full of people, but Paul was not there. The owner was not too happy and neither were we. So much for good first impressions. I told the owner the Leroy and I would start and that Paul would soon be there. I guaranteed him that once Paul got there everything would be alright.

So Leroy and I did about 4 or 5 easy listening Rock songs. The crowd was very appreciative and gave us a big hand. The owner was a lot happier now.

Finally Paul gets there. We help him set up quickly and start playing. Wow, we were on! Paul is one of those great drummers that just knows how to kick it out. I think we played the best gig I've ever been a part of.
We had all the patrons up and dancing. We jammed until a quarter of 2.
The owner was very happy and told us we did a great job. I knew once Paul got there everything else would be forgotten.

So the owner told me he would like to book us for quite a few future gigs.

It was a busy week. We were all tired. Going to bed at 2 AM four days in a row and having to work the next day is tough. But that's Rock N Roll.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 08/06/2004 3:48 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Cool story Wes. Sounds like you guys had a good week in spite of it all. :D

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 08/06/2004 4:11 pm
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Hope Kevin gets well soon. Sounds like you had lotsa fun. Good for you.

aka Izabella

Posted : 08/06/2004 6:10 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks Twisted Fingers and Izabella

I always see Gigs and Jams but no one seems to write much here, so I figured I would write a gig report. Maybe others will write about jams with friends or at the open mic etc..... This could become very interesting.

I know I could tell a lot of funny stories about gigs (at least I think they're funny).

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 08/06/2004 8:03 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Thanks Twisted Fingers and Izabella

I always see Gigs and Jams but no one seems to write much here, so I figured I would write a gig report. Maybe others will write about jams with friends or at the open mic etc..... This could become very interesting.

I know I could tell a lot of funny stories about gigs (at least I think they're funny).

Wes

Heh. I've been traipsing around with a local band since march. I do road crew/lights and basically whatever else they need a hand with. I've learned a lot about what it takes to put on a good live show. (Plus, I get to jam/learn from the guitarist) :)

I've got some funny stories, and a couple the censor won't let me post. ;)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

Posted : 09/06/2004 10:53 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hey Wes!

Be sure to let us know if you're ever south of the Merritt...

There has been a minor Blues explosion around here, with several new bars offering the blues (or blues specific nights at established bars).

-Laz

Posted : 09/06/2004 4:25 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Twisty- Come on, tell us some of your gig stories. It's funny what can go wrong at gigs.

Laz- I am not much of a strict blues player, but let me know what's going on down there and maybe I'll come down. It's not that far.

Posted : 09/06/2004 4:57 pm
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

How about a gig from hell story? I'll try and get one posted tomorrow. :)

Posted : 09/06/2004 5:07 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wes,

Cool story, I can imagine how stressful it was when the drummer wasn't there.

When I was working at a club called The Sting that happened a few times, where someone showed up late...the club was brutal..the band wouldn't get to play if they weren't ready....it was pretty funny watching the band members all strart arguing over it...I wouldn't doubt if a few people got dumped from the bands because of it.

It's so weird, when I worked at the club I wasn't playing the quitar at the time and I remember how most local bands were treated like unwanted step children..it was a big club that had mostly national acts so locals didn't get much billing but most of these guys were so into it yet the club could give a damn about them or their music. I do have to admit though that even though everyone has the right to make music I don't have to listen to it and there were many nights at the club were there would be like twenty people to see some local band in a club that held about 2,000.
I felt like shooting myself by the end of the end....invariably these were mostly hardcore bands so I'd have to sit through several hours ol loud, lousy music..

Anyway I digress sounds like it all worked out. I think I'll be coming back to CT for good so I'll have to look you up when I do. Probably not until late fall.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 11/06/2004 7:29 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Chris

That would be great. If you live within driving distance, maybe we could get something going. We just found a new drummer who lives in New Britain who might sub until Kevin is better. We are gonna drive down there next Saturday for a practice, we got a gig in 3 weeks.

Let me know when you get here.

Wes

Posted : 12/06/2004 12:31 am
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Great post Wes. I know well to often what you went through when someone doesn't show up or they partied just a little much before going on. That's why many bands give me a call, not just cause we're friends, they know I'll be there and ready to rock an roll. Never hurts to have a backup musician.

Just a few weeks ago same story except the bands lead guitar player was missing. Their first time at this place, the band was from out of town. Time running out 10 minutes to show time. My friend (Bret) who is the singer/guitar player turns and asked if I would start the show. Lets go! I had only played the second and third sets the night before and didn't want to over play their lead player.

I said lets not play anything you guys do. That really through them. The bass player says, Well what we going play. Bret grinned and turns to him and says, you haven't herd nothing we'll play and let Joe just do his thing. my thing I did do. the drummer and bass player over there in ah, smiling and laughing. After the forth song their guitar player was ready to take over. I slipped off stage when they started and disappeared into the crowd.

When they took their first break their guitar player came up to me smiling and said (edited four letter words). I had to play my butt off the whole set because of your fancy flash playing. he did too, I set the pace the guitars for the rest of night...lol The audience loved every second of it. Heck that small town even the local newspaper published a little article about the almost riot in town. And thats what makes playing worth while and so much Fun.

Joe

Posted : 14/06/2004 7:30 am
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Having problems figuring out which one to tell. That one night so many things went wrong. I could probably get several individual stories from just one gig.

Things like:

• The PA and Monitors don't know the words so they'll HUM along.
    Glowing electrical sockets and melting extension cords.
    Lights, Camera, Darkness. How to shut off all the lights in your local bar in less than 30 seconds.
    1 2 3 4 Trainwreck.
    Why tuning your guitar before starting the song is important.
    Wireless Mircrophones. Feed back? Or, No, there really are ear piercing, dog whistle noises in that song.
    Top Ten Reasons Lead singers shouldn't mosh.
    First aid for lead singers that fail to read the above list.
    Wireless microphones and singers that punch themselves in the teeth with them.
    How to sing without spraying blood everywhere.
    More First Aid for lead singers.
    Fun and Games with the crowd. Better known as Where's The Lead Singer?
    How to give your drummer heat exhaustion in three easy sets.
  • It truly was the night from hell. Kinda funny now looking back at it. :)

Posted : 14/06/2004 11:41 am
    (@wes-inman)
    Illustrious Member
    Topic starter

Twisty

You have GOT to go into more detail. Is that all one single night?
    Please tell us about that night.

Wes

Posted : 14/06/2004 5:26 pm
    (@twistedfingers)
    Honorable Member

Twisty

You have GOT to go into more detail. Is that all one single night?
    Please tell us about that night.

Wes

Yeah that was all one night. I'm working on it. Trying to make it coherent. All the way to Wireless Microphones. Feedback? Or,.... was just the first set. This is going to be a huge post. :)

Posted : 14/06/2004 5:28 pm
    (@vic-lewis-vl)
    Illustrious Member

LMAO, Twisty, if that was all on the same night I'd have loved to have been in the audience........

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 14/06/2004 5:32 pm
    Page 1 / 2