Clear all

Toronto is in the books.

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Well, the Toronto seminar has come and gone. All in all, a wonderful experience. I think everyone had a great time and learned a few things to take along home with them.

There were 7 guitar noise members in attendance plus David and Paul. Spent Friday evening gathered in David Hodge's hotel room meeting each other and chatting a little about what we wanted to get out of the session. David gave us a run down of what to expect during Saturday.

Saturday was a marathon. We started by meeting for breakfast at a down town greesy spoon - after figuring out that most of us had gone to the wrong place first! From noon until 9:00 pm we held David's clinic, ate pizza and jammed a little at Down Town Jam in the heart of Toronto. Great venue for the event.

I'll try and summarize the day, lessons learned etc. in a bit more detail once I've managed to look over my (virtual) notes.

Great time, thanks to David for putting the clinic on and thanks to all those that participated.

Posted : 31/05/2004 12:18 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's cool everyone gets to get together, socialize, learn, and jam. I look forward to your update to this post.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 02/06/2004 7:41 pm
(@srv-fan68)
Eminent Member

Corbind,

At the seminar, Dave passed out a chord and note help sheet put together by you. I wanted to thank you for that and I'm wondering if it is available online somewhere?

Thanks,
-Steve

Posted : 03/06/2004 11:34 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey SRV, you've made my day! Maybe even week! :D

I walk down the long aisle, up the stairs, and over to the podium. A gorgeous hostess hands me the golden award. Loud applause and standing ovation from the crowd. “I'd like to thank all of those who've given me enough information to put together what I call ‘the Master Sheet.' It first started when I picked up my cousin's ratty guitar….Starting two years ago Guitar Noise began feeding my brain. Those building blocks fed my brain enough to finally be able to make it happen.” :P

Just kiddin', but I do feel honored in knowing people out there appreciate and use what I created. :oops: That “master sheet” took me over 80 hours to create. Everything was built in an Excel spreadsheet. Not the ideal thing to use for graphics, but I'm a number cruncher and we all use Excel.

The fretboard was a pain to make. I made each circle and had to move then to the appropriate spots, color them, bold them, on and on. The rest of the stuff didn't take up nearly as much time. One thing I love about that sheet is it has

* A fretboard with notes on each string frets 1-12 in color code
* A table of keys showing what notes work (highlighting the I-IV-V)
* A small table showing the formula for constructing chords
* A list of what notes are in what chords
* Something not so useful, but the names of the intervals (like 4 frets is a major 3rd)

Since I like to be organized it was a natural extension to put that thing together. I go down to my local Office Depot and get the Avery “snap in” clear sheet protectors and put the master sheet in them. I have one at work, on my music stand, on in my band song book, one in my briefcase, and a couple at my buddy's place for quick reference.

I have to say I appreciate Dr. Dave gave me credit for putting it together. That's so cool! Also, I must say there is something else that goes on the backside of that sheet protector. It's Greybeard's chord construction chart. He has such a cool site with things I hope everyone gets to see. But that chord construction (he has many, but I summarized the most common on mine) has made me be able to think on my feet.

Tuesday night at practice the other guitar player showed me a few chords and said he didn't know what they were. I thought about the fretboard and chord intervals and was able to tell him. All that from those two sheets in the plastic protector!

Okay, my sheet is not fabulous, but it helps me. And now I know at least Steve thinks it's cool! Actually, I bring extras of the sheet with me when I jam with others. When I have to refer to the sheet often I'll be asked, “What's that.” I'll show it to them and they ask how can they get one and I hand them a color copy of it. It's a good resource.

Now that you ask if it's online, I think back to a year ago when I was thinking of putting it out there somehow. I don't have a server but I know there have to be some free web servers out there (with the billion pop-up—yuk). I'll see if I can get it up somewhere for download. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Although I have not counted, I'd bet I have 40+ sheets of different things. With your email, I have motivation to get those sheets out there so many others can get some benefits from them. 8)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 03/06/2004 6:54 pm
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Hey Corbind

I wasn't at the Toronto Seminar but I've been to a couple of GN Seminars at David's house. If this is the same color chart with the fretboard and the chord types, great job! I'd also like to see this online. I asked David about it but I never followed up on it. I didn't know it was your handiwork.
Thanks,

Ed

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

Posted : 03/06/2004 7:39 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hmmm, I'm wondering if you are someone I know. I met someone at David's about 15 months ago named Ed who drove in from Indiana. Is that possibly you? My real name is Dennis Corbin, hence “corbind.”

Again, I'm beaming with pride to hear people like my stuff and get use out of it. If I go to my guitar lesson tonight and do nothing right I won't even flinch. I've already gotten plenty of joy today. In the past hour I've gone into my closet with all my binders of music stuff and took a look at what I have printed out. I have many Excel spreadsheets with multiple pages in them. To make things easier when I get them online, I'll break each sheet out separately so people can view and download them individually.

I know zero about putting stuff out on the web so I'll have to beg for some help from members who understand stuff like that. I think I make another new post regarding help on that.

Posted : 03/06/2004 7:57 pm
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Dennis

Not sure if we've met. I was at David's place in Mass. for a intro to strumming seminar and later an intro to blues seminar (relatively recently). I'm from NY also :D (not Indiana)
As far as posting your stuff on the web, I'm sure Guitar Noise could post them somewhere here for download.
Thanks again,

Ed

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

Posted : 03/06/2004 9:47 pm
(@jaxtraw)

I'd be happy to host the page if it's needed.

Matthew

Posted : 06/06/2004 3:46 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Dennis,

Why don't you send it to me and we'll make an article out of the whole thing.

Nick

Posted : 06/06/2004 12:32 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That would be great. There is a ummm, small, uh, problems. I built the 5 charts in Excel. In order to resize each object to the proper size I had to copy them into PowerPoint. Once they are in PP and cut/pasted back into Excel they are essentially editable pictures. That's fantastic, but it makes what would be say a 100k file now become 22.2mb. Yea, that's MB! Just now I tried to use WinZip for the first time zipping files. I got that 22.2mb file down to 5.2mb zipped. That's great compression, but that's still a file larger than most email boxes can send or deliver. I'd imagine the logical thing to do would be to burn it to cd and mail it to you. Then you could presumably upload it to your computer and put it wherever you think appropriate.

Posted : 06/06/2004 5:17 pm
(@srv-fan68)
Eminent Member

You can send me the file, uncompressed if you want, and I'll see what I can do to optimize it and get it down to a smaller size. My work e-mail can receive messages with no limit in size. I'll PM you the address.

Posted : 07/06/2004 12:03 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I just trimmed the file last night down to like 150k so it's plenty thin now. I just emailed it to you. :-) Nick's got a copy, too.

Posted : 07/06/2004 6:32 pm
(@dudley-doright)

Is there another seminar coming up in TO? How much did it cost to attend the seminar?

Posted : 11/02/2006 1:48 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member

please, please, please tell me there is a gn seminar in the near future in nashville. tn
hell, i'll even go for the distant future lol, i have a 3 bedroom house, we can pack a bunch
of gn"ers here lol, after all i do live in music city. :D

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 11/02/2006 3:59 am