Clear all

"Where ya been" someone asked.....

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I was quite flattered that I got a PM from a nice GN member asking something like “where ya been.” Wow, some people do like me or at least know who I am (or who I was since I'm not posting like I used to. So why's that? Well, two reasons. I now work out in Chicago so it's a 50-mile round trip a day. That kills 2 hours of my time. So I don't get home from work until the earliest 7:30pm. On non-practice days, it's more like 8 or 8:30pm.

Tuesday nights: I practice with the band (No Trace) and that's a 64-mile round trip on top of my driving to/from work. I get there at 7:30pm, set up, practice is at 8pm, practice until 9:30, pack up, and get home about 11pm.

Thursday nights: I practice with my best friend from all the way back from grade school/high school. We've been playing together for a couple of years not. So we practice from say 8pm-1030pm. Get home 11pm.

Friday nights: I stay late at work to type up and print out songs then go back over to John's place where me, John, and Tom (another friend and bass player) play from 9pm to about 12:30am

Saturday nights: I bring my equipment over to Jim's (he's the bassist for our band) and we practice about 8pm to 11pm and talk about stuff for about an hour after that. I'm home about midnight.

So, all in all, that takes up time 4 nights a week. Saturday day and Sundays I generally veg out by watching Discover channel or A & E. Cool stuff they show. Monday nights I try to play through some band songs so I'm prepared for practice the next day. I pack my gear the night before and take it to work with me so I can save driving an extra 25 miles by going back home to get my stuff then up to practice.

I have about 40 books up on my desk that I used to look through here and there, but these days, it seems guitar is the main deal. I'm thinking about putting those book in the garage. Anyway, I've been pretty busy. Maybe I'll just start getting 6 hours of sleep a night. That'll give me plenty of time to cruise around GN!!!

:shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 16/05/2005 10:51 pm
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

Hiya, Good to hear from you. I've also noticed there are a lot of folks I don't see here as much as I used to, but I suspect that may be part of the life-cycle turnover of a forum like this. If I had your schedule I wouldn't have time for posting either. Take care and drop in when you can. :wink: 8)

Posted : 17/05/2005 3:51 am
(@lawdude)
Eminent Member

Yeah yeah yeah . . . excuses excuses! :wink:

It's good to see Corbind again. For those of you who don't know who he is, he happens to be the creator of a great thread in the Beginner's forum titled "What You've Learned About Guitar," which showcases fantastic tips about playing.

As for cutting back on your sleep, in the words of a Barenaked Ladies song, "Who needs sleep? Well you're never gonna get it; Who needs sleep? Tell me what's that for; Who needs sleep? Be happy with what you're getting; There's a guy who's been awake
since the Second World War"

Ever notice that the world "listen" contains the same letters as "silent"?

Posted : 17/05/2005 9:42 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Glad to see your still doing well.

How's that HotRod holding up for you? Still happy with it :D

I understand what you mean about lack of time. I've been hooking up with my cousin on the weekends and trying to put some original stuff together. It's not easy but, it will all pay off in the end.

As always, Have fun and most importantly drive safe!

Posted : 17/05/2005 11:13 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The amp's been doing some nice things for me. At last week's band practice, I actually (gulp), used the "red" channel on the amp. For those who don't know, that's the overdriven channel driven hard. It worked and sounded great for the last song of the night! :-)

Still, at one point, I would like to get an additional amp for dirty sounds like a Marshall or whatnot to get a meaner snarl when needed... One of the reasons I bought the HRD is that I thought the guys in the band would toss me out if I played dirty. Come to find out, I can and I only get barked at by one of the guitarists if I get too loud.....

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 18/05/2005 1:00 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Dennis,

I was thinking the same thing myself lately. Hadn't seen you around much, I figured you were ready to sign that record deal and make it big.

Good to see your still jammin, I bet that commute sux though. I had the same thing going on here in Charlotte when I first moved down so I moved closer to work.

I'm sure there's still a few good band stories you can share.

Take care,

chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 23/05/2005 8:00 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Yea, I actually feel bad I've not been around much for months. I actually read the forums for about 2 hours yesterday and it felt good.

I should have a pretty good story coming up. The band took a month off (bass player couldn't make it) so it was weird. I still practiced with him Saturday nights without the rest of the guys.

Anyway, the elder guitarist in the band is getting married in 2-3 weeks (I have to look at my calendar). The wedding/reception will be at his house and we're gonna play a few sets so I'm positive I'll have some odd experiences. I mean, all receptions have some hysterical moments so I trust this one will be no different…

:shock:

Posted : 23/05/2005 11:26 pm