Clear all

Work Jam session

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Me and a few guys at work have been talking about getting together to jam for a few months. There was me and another guitar player and 2 guys that play bass. One of the bassist left to take another job a few weeks ago. The remaining 3 of us were talking Friday and finally decided to get together Saturday. That fell through due to some forgotten commitments, but we moved it to Sunday. I packed up my acoustic, a Squier '51 and my Blues Jr. and headed to work. Me and the other guitarist set up in one of our conference rooms and started playing. The bassist ended up not being able to make it. We played for about 3 hours and had a blast. Songs...

"Man Who Sold the World" (Nirvana's Unplugged version)
"Whiskey in the Jar" - we never played it all the way through, just worked on parts
"Boys are Back in Town" - just worked on parts
"Like a Stone" (Cornell's acoustic version)
"Pretty Noose" - this was a blast to play and fun to tune down so low

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 10/06/2008 5:01 pm
(@97reb)
Noble Member

That is great. There are a ton of people at my job that play, but.......... I am salaried and 97% of them are hourly. If I "hung" out with them or jammed or anything non-business related and I could get fired for fraternization. :(

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 10/06/2008 10:48 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

is there much of a difference when the cops come or when the boss yells to turn it down?
sounds like good place to 'conference'.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 11/06/2008 10:49 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I thought about doing something similar at work. there are a bunch of people that play and we actually have an auditorium with a stage.

We could probably do it here but I really don't like to be at the workplace anymore than I have to...plus you can't drink a cold one at work.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 11/06/2008 11:46 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Cool. jw.
I worked at a design studio where the owner's brother would come in off hours to practice the bagpipes.
I'd be working away all alone in the studio late at night, hear someone come in and assume it was a salesperson or cleaner. A few minutes later, an other worldly 'yowl' would commence (inflation of bagpipes). Scared the be jeebers out of me every time!
:)

Don

Posted : 11/06/2008 3:41 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter

97reb, that sucks. That kind of cuts down on team building.

There were only a few people here since it was a Sunday, so no boss or cops yelling :D We could probably get away with drinking a cold one on the weekend, but I probably wouldn't risk it.

Bagpipes? Wow, that has to violate some OSHA (workplace safety law for non-U.S.) rules. Someone here at work has a teenager that has brought his guitar in a few times on Friday afternoon (we only work 4 hours on Fridays), so when I would be here late, I'd hear butchered versions of "Back in Black" and "Iron Man." At first, I thought someone had recorded me butchering those songs and were playing it back at my work. :)

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 11/06/2008 7:15 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Hey thats cool! Me and 3 of the ED docs at work used to get together and jam. We even had a couple X-Ray techs on vocals and drums. The docs have since moved on as wel as our radiological vocalist, but it was fun. Keep at it and who knows, something might come out of it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 12/06/2008 12:05 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

the band that I fill in on occasion is an all medico band. the hospital group is called Otitus Media (inner ear infection).
several EMTs, a social worker, and a doc or two.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 12/06/2008 12:24 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

There used to be a local cover band that went by the name "Accounting Crows". They were a bunch of tax guys that all worked at one of the big financial firms.

They only played limited gigs around April 15th, but they were pretty good. Don't know if they actually practiced at work.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 12/06/2008 12:27 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

We have a huge atrium in our building. Occasionally, I'll bring in the acoustic and play during lunch. Only problem is, many people come up to me and say..."hey, do you know how to play (insert 1 of 20 billion songs I don't know how to play)?" Which really does not bother me...it's just that there are some times that you actually want to be alone when you're playing. Now that I think of it, I want to be left alone most of the time I'm playing.

I think I'll sit outside now that the weather is better. :)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 12/06/2008 2:34 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Our local doc's group is called "DNR"!

And there is a Wall Street band called "The Subscribers". They are the real deal and can be hired to play benefits. Lots of fun.

For everyone else, just bring a guitar to work and you'll find out quickly who else plays.

Posted : 12/06/2008 3:55 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Me and 3 of the ED docs at work
Don't those docs know there are treatments for ED these days?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 12/06/2008 4:52 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, they wanted to call the group Limp Bizkit but that was taken :lol: ED ... never thought of that .. we might want to go back to calling it the ER. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 12/06/2008 5:17 pm