12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNq94ZaZ0Yk

As a newbie who couldn't do this to save his life, I think it's fantastic. Others at another site put it down as mediocre, even going as far as to say Anyone impressed with this clip cannot possibly play guitar well, if at all. This guy is what kids these days call a "shredder". LOL, even the guitar type he has is known for it. And even further, he chose an amp setting to reflect that style. His riffs are not even correct in dozens of places (as in, wrong notes. Misplayed, but not accidentally), and this type of player would likely sound like a newbie if he had to play an acoustic.

Well I was impressed but then again, I "cannot possibly play guitar well, if at all". :|

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OK I'll comment. Am I impressed probably not but the biggest guestion I would have to this guy is why. What is the point of posting something like that? I only watched the first minute and a half and I didn't see any shredding going on. He was playing most of the riffs fast but that isn't what I would consider shredding.

I guess the thing I would be impressed about is that he remembered all 100.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK I'll comment. Am I impressed probably not but the biggest guestion I would have to this guy is why. What is the point of posting something like that? I ...

I guess the thing I would be impressed about is that he remembered all 100.

That I agree with you.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would have been impressed a couple years ago but alot of the riffs I saw I now can play so the WOW factor is gone. But I have nothing against the guy's playing.

Frank you'll be able to do that at some point also.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

It doesn't matter what you post on YouTube, some Negative Nancy will say "you're doing it wrong." Odds are, they only know how to read tab and don't even know what they are playing.

By the way, I freakin' love your sig and avatar. One of the best cartoons of all time, along w/ "Rabbit of Seville"!

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Like cnev, I bailed after the first minute & a half or so. I guess it was impressive that he memorized 100 riffs like that.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Frank you'll be able to do that at some point also.

Aw, you're too kind! :D

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

It doesn't matter what you post on YouTube, some Negative Nancy will say "you're doing it wrong." Odds are, they only know how to read tab and don't even know what they are playing.

True.
By the way, I freakin' love your sig and avatar. One of the best cartoons of all time, along w/ "Rabbit of Seville"!

That cartoon is hilarious... "Now let's put our patties in da waaater!" *snap*

And What's Opera, Doc?

"Oh Bwoonheewda, you're so wuvvwy"

"Yes, I know it. I can't help it."

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i'm trying to see how he got the tone to switch on certain riffs. maybe pedals? i realize some of them were differnt techniques, but it's hard to believe that he got that much of a tone switch just from playing.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

wondering the same, Jason. but he seems to be concentrating on the playing too much to switch patches/effects himself. I'm thinking Starship Enterprise miracle sliding doors: he had an off-camera human doing it for him. or maybe everything is post recording VST'ed or Amp Farmed.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

at first i thought it was just a technique thing, but it sounds like he has a chorus and some other effects going on certain songs.

ReplyQuote