Clear all

8 year old shredder

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This kid is amazing! Not sure if it was posted on here already but just check him out. My ears aren't really developed yet though so it might sound good only to me but yea...he's still good (or at least fast), gotta admit it! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok3EjsCmIu0&mode=related&search=

EDIT: I read a post farther down the page and I have a feeling these kind of posts aren't very appreciated around here, to say the least. So, if you're one of those who are annoyed by such posts, just nevermind...

(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

I wouldn't trust the video enough to say that he's amazing. The video is to blurred and far away to conclusivly say that he's actually playing.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I wouldn't trust the video enough to say that he's amazing. The video is to blurred and far away to conclusivly say that he's actually playing.
Didn;t watch as far as 2:18 then? :roll: :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That video has been posted here before. I think it's real. Similar to the video someone posted with the 10 yr old playing an SRV cover.

You can debate how great his playing is but in an case it's pretty good for an 8 yr old.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I think it is real. And I've become polite enough to keep it at that. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yea, it seemed real to me too. Unfortunately... :x :wink:

Sorry it's been posted before!

ReplyQuote
(@ivankaramazov)
Estimable Member

EDIT: I read a post farther down the page and I have a feeling these kind of posts aren't very appreciated around here, to say the least. So, if you're one of those who are annoyed by such posts, just nevermind...

I don't think it's your post that isn't appreciated, more likely a collective community distaste for shredding. The clip hurt my ears so badly I couldn't get through more than 30 seconds of it.

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I don't think it's your post that isn't appreciated, more likely a collective community distaste for shredding. The clip hurt my ears so badly I couldn't get through more than 30 seconds of it.

Each to their own, I guess. I'm not such a shredding fan myself but the kid is good, whether I like what he's playing or not.

But nah, I was referring to posts about 'kid prodigies' being not very appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

not exactly worth listening to.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I don't think it's that the threads about the kid prodigies aren't appreciated, it's more that there is a general discussion (not to mention concern) about two things - first off, are we tossing around the term "prodigy" around so much so that the term loses its meaning. If you're into music, none of this is new. Suzuki method has kids a lot younger than this doing astounding things on the violin (and other instruments) and it's been going on for ages. The proliferation of videos on the internet makes you wonder if anyone isn't a prodigy...

But much more to the point, who produced and arranged the video? Is this kid, or whomever it might happen to be happy? Talent is a small part of life. Being able to harness it and play is great. But it doesn't mean a thing if the human being doing the performing doesn't have his or her heart in it for whatever reason. Adults have a hard enough time figuring out what they want to be when they grow up... :wink:

There are studies out there that show most (meaning more than eighty percent) of kids who play an instrument drop it at some point in their lives and never pick it up again. That, one would think, is a much more important topic to discuss than whether or not someone on a video is good or not.

My two cents, anyway...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Arjen wrote: I think it is real. And I've become polite enough to keep it at that.

:lol:

We've been there, done that, pretty recently, haven't we, Arjen?

But we had fun, no?

:lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

OK ..my 2 cents :twisted: . The kid can play pretty darn good for his years :!: In fact I would go as far as saying he has some talent!! I don't really understand what folks here have against shredders..I sure can't do it! Yea, its not what I listen to...But lots of folks do like it. Besides he looks like he is having a good time, even smiling :D so.....we have a young kid playing the hell out of his guitar, having a good time, and the crowd is totally in to it. Hmmmm..Its a good thing :D

OK I'm done with my rant :lol: :lol: :lol: Love ya all :D --the dog

Edit: David has a real good point also BTW "There are studies out there that show most (meaning more than eighty percent) of kids who play an instrument drop it at some point in their lives and never pick it up again. That, one would think, is a much more important topic to discuss than whether or not someone on a video is good or not."
This is SO true..But I saw in that video a kid who looked like He was having a good time and enjoyed what he was doing..I bet he is still playing 30 years from now :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

dhodge (David, right?) does make a good point. And yea, I guess the term 'prodigy' can be tossed around too much and therefore lose meaning. However, I guess there are a lot of talented kids out there so why can't there be many child prodigies? The term may become more common and if it does, well, so be it.
And surely it's unfair if the kid isn't having fun or enjoying what he/she is doing. But as smokindog pointed out, this particular kid does seem to be having a good time. He really seems into it and he does look very pleased at the end (but who wouldn't be, with the cheers he got?) On the other hand, I guess we can't know for sure.

It IS a terrible shame though, about all those kids who stop playing their instruments. I guess the parents are to blame for that, though. :?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I guess there are a lot of talented kids out there so why can't there be many child prodigies? The term may become more common and if it does, well, so be it.

There *could* be many prodigies, but there aren't. Being a prodigy involves so much more then just playing some random licks very fast after each other. There was no harmonic or rhythmic background so what we heared was just some fast notes, without apparant goal, direction or intent, besides the intent to play really fast. For some weird reason so many guitarists assume that the faster you play the less important composition becomes which is as far from the truth as can be. This performance was simply to impress people, it wasn't about playing interesting music. Now he might indeed be enjoying himself so whatever floats his boat is cool with me, but you can't say this a prodigy, even if only because the clip only gave a very one-dimensional glimpse of what he might or might not be able to do. You need way more info to make such a call. And, this is key, that is no problem at all. Big fat chances are that none of us over at GN are, or were, 'prodigies'. Doesn't make GN any less precious to me.
It IS a terrible shame though, about all those kids who stop playing their instruments. I guess the parents are to blame for that, though.

Why is that? Suppose I just don't like any of the instruments I play, and decide to drop it and just read a book, watch a movie or build a waterwell in Africa, whats the problem about that? Playing an instrument is just one thing you can do in your live, wouldn't it be more of a shame if all I'd ever do was sit in the basement and play guitar? :D

Margaret: we sure did :D Let me know if I turn into a grumpy old man again. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

There *could* be many prodigies, but there aren't. Being a prodigy involves so much more then just playing some random licks very fast after each other. There was no harmonic or rhythmic background so what we heared was just some fast notes, without apparant goal, direction or intent, besides the intent to play really fast. For some weird reason so many guitarists assume that the faster you play the less important composition becomes which is as far from the truth as can be. This performance was simply to impress people, it wasn't about playing interesting music. Now he might indeed be enjoying himself so whatever floats his boat is cool with me, but you can't say this a prodigy, even if only because the clip only gave a very one-dimensional glimpse of what he might or might not be able to do. You need way more info to make such a call. And, this is key, that is no problem at all. Big fat chances are that none of us over at GN are, or were, 'prodigies'. Doesn't make GN any less precious to me.

I agree with Arjen on this. I don't really dislike shredding, wish I could do it myself. :D
But I do have a problem with the misconception that speed equals talent. Very few shredders really impress me with meaningful, beautiful music. The vast majority of it is just showing off. Nothing wrong with showing off a little, part of being a musician is being a showman (or showperson).

What I mean is this: When you see a video of some super shredder like Yngwie Malmsteen, everybody starts talking about him being one of the greatest guitar players. Why?? I have some Yngwie albums and his ability and technique are amazing, but his music is just mediocre IMHO.

Very few of these super shredders sell lots of albums. It is just super-noodling. After hearing two songs like this you are finished, it all sounds the same after that.

The most popular musicians who sell lots of albums generally play pretty simple music. The Beatles played very simple music but it was great and is still popular today. John Fogerty and Creedence Clearwater Revival is another example. Pretty simple, but fantastic songs that people love.

So why don't people think of John Fogerty as a great guitarist? He knows how to play simple lines that are beautiful. But he plays slow.

That is what bugs me. Playing fast does not mean you are a good musician.

People should put more emphasis on the music. It is about music, not playing a million notes.

And I agree with David about people quitting. My next door neighbor took up guitar when he was about 15 years old. Within one year he could play ANY Van Halen solo note-for-note. I actually think he was better than Eddie. It just came so easy for him. But after about 5 years he gave it up and has never played again, been over 20 years now. I think he was bored with guitar, it presented no challange to him.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2