Notifications
Clear all

8 year old shredder

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Arjen wrote: Suppose I just don't like any of the instruments I play, and decide to drop it and just read a book, watch a movie or build a waterwell in Africa, whats the problem about that? Playing an instrument is just one thing you can do in your live, wouldn't it be more of a shame if all I'd ever do was sit in the basement and play guitar?

Well said, Arjen.

There is undoubtedly a huge percentage of people who try out golf, backpacking, sculpture, dance, etc, and decide it isn't for them and move on, as well.

Yes, we love music and hope to nurture that appreciation in the younger generation, but only a certain number will have the lasting interest in it that we have.

Besides, if everyone who started an instrument stuck with it, most of the world would be musicians, and then "we" wouldn't feel so special, would we? :lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I gotta agree with the Dog on this one, seems like he likes playing, I don't see him dropping it.

He was probably pushed by someone to play that kind of music, or maybe his immaturity results in him wanting to play to impress people. Maybe he just likes it, I don't know. It doesn't really seem like he's too into it though, not much emotion I mean...Then again, the music sort of lacks emotion, so it makes sense I suppose.

Hopefully in 10 years a youtube video will come out and he'll have developed as a musician and a person, and will truly be great!

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

wouldn't it be more of a shame if all I'd ever do was sit in the basement and play guitar?

Oh crap. :? Wait, wait - I go on the internet. :o

Haha.

I should mention that I took up the keyboard, piano and drums in my 0-10 years and I dropped each of them.

However, it wasn't in vain. It took a while to find out the guitar was my instrument (I picked it up when I was 16) but I assume the timing and co-ordination I acquired from my drumming and all the musical interest and time spent listening and playing music must have added up to help me, seeing as I've had a good sense of rhythm/timing for as long as I can remember( eg. 10 onwards).

That doesn't mean that now I don't regret not keeping them on. Because I do :(

All in all if I ever had kids then I'd definitely try them out on some instruments (and be prepared to pay for it...)

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There *could* be many prodigies, but there aren't. Being a prodigy involves so much more then just playing some random licks very fast after each other. There was no harmonic or rhythmic background so what we heared was just some fast notes, without apparant goal, direction or intent, besides the intent to play really fast. For some weird reason so many guitarists assume that the faster you play the less important composition becomes which is as far from the truth as can be. This performance was simply to impress people, it wasn't about playing interesting music. Now he might indeed be enjoying himself so whatever floats his boat is cool with me, but you can't say this a prodigy, even if only because the clip only gave a very one-dimensional glimpse of what he might or might not be able to do. You need way more info to make such a call. And, this is key, that is no problem at all. Big fat chances are that none of us over at GN are, or were, 'prodigies'. Doesn't make GN any less precious to me.

Yea, I guess playing fast isn't enough to call someone a prodigy. I mean, it is talent but with sufficient practice, anyone could play fast (hell, even I might be able to someday ;)). And maybe that kid has been practicing that same piece ever since he started. However, I didn't consider him a prodigy anyway, when I posted the first post. But then, in a later post, I went on to say that posts about 'kid prodigies' weren't very appreciated (so, yea, you got me there :p), I can't deny it. I think the proper term would have been 'talented kids'?

Why is that? Suppose I just don't like any of the instruments I play, and decide to drop it and just read a book, watch a movie or build a waterwell in Africa, whats the problem about that? Playing an instrument is just one thing you can do in your live, wouldn't it be more of a shame if all I'd ever do was sit in the basement and play guitar? :D

Well, yea, actually, that could be a shame too. :D If the person has been playing since they were a kid, has gotten very good at the instrument and then, just drops it because they've been overworked to the point of losing the will to play, then, yes, it's a definite shame. There could have been other ways to learn the instrument, without overpracticing, overworking. It's also a shame if you're just a beginner and you give up playing because you're discouraged. So many situations could be 'a shame'. But that's truly just a point of view. I mean, you could look at it on the other side: if they stop playing because they don't like it anymore, then, that's for the better, right?
It just depends on which way you look at it. :)

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Arjen wrote: Suppose I just don't like any of the instruments I play, and decide to drop it and just read a book, watch a movie or build a waterwell in Africa, whats the problem about that? Playing an instrument is just one thing you can do in your live, wouldn't it be more of a shame if all I'd ever do was sit in the basement and play guitar?

Well said, Arjen.

There is undoubtedly a huge percentage of people who try out golf, backpacking, sculpture, dance, etc, and decide it isn't for them and move on, as well.

Yes, we love music and hope to nurture that appreciation in the younger generation, but only a certain number will have the lasting interest in it that we have.

Besides, if everyone who started an instrument stuck with it, most of the world would be musicians, and then "we" wouldn't feel so special, would we? :lol:

Margaret

Great point, actually. :D

I guess if music isn't for them, then, so be it. It's not a shame. However, if they stop playing, and then regret it (like Clazon, for example), I guess it IS a shame that they stopped! No?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2