Clear all

A Few Test Drives

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

During a recent quest for a hollow body electric, I happened to play a few other things while there. A few worth mentioning are the Epi LP Prophecy GX, The Epi Ultra II and the PRS Single Cut semi-hollow that GC had for $515.

The Ultra II might have been the most interesting. Dual humbuckers (yawn) with some nano-maf at the base of the neck with seprate controls. It gives an "accoustic like" flavor to your tone or can stand alone on it's own and pass as playable guitar for a pure accoustic song. Pretty interesting.

The PRS semi was a real treat to play. It's amazing. Even the cheapies they make are stunning. This thing howled, perfectly set up and was actually quite hot. It's a wonder why more people don't own them. $515? Hard to beat.

The Prophecy GX was my favorite. of the things I was really looking at. I picked it up not wanting to like it. No way I'm getting another $800 LP. Dang, this puppy was hot. Really crisp and aggressive tones straight out on the clean channels. Neck and Bridge. It's got these Dirty Fingers pick-ups on them (probably a marketing ploy?), but man, this thing rocks. I can't imagine what they'd sound like with some dirt thrown in.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin