Age check!

34 Posts
28 Users
0 Likes
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok... perfect time for an age check!!

What was your favorite song as a freshman in high school?

My years are getting muddled in my brain, but my favorite stuff as a frosh was Hot For Teacher and Get Up. I was a Freshman right in the middle of the David/Sammy transition.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

When I started Secondary Modern School.

Yeah I could possibly have passed my "11 plus" and made the grade for Grammar School. But hey! that year they decided to try out a new form of grading exam and not use the "11 plus" that we had all been cramming for in Junior School.

I might have passed and made the grade, but we will never know.

"Help" and "Ticket To Ride" were riding high in the charts together with "Ferry Cross The Mersey" and it had to be The Beatles and Gerry & The Pacemakers and of course it was 1965.

"HELP" just about summed up that first week of terror at "Secondary Modern" Even worse it wasn't co-educational then and all the girls were sent into "ANOTHER BUILDING" at the school. We didn't see them really for another year. When, surprise surprise the school became a "Comprehensive School" (Everyone was supposed to have an equal chance)and we were all mixed together again and we found that the girls had turned into completely different creatures that scared the life out of us pubescent 12 and 13 year olds. Even funnier our teachers didn't know how to handle girls either as the ultimate deterent of "the slipper or cane" could no longer be used for disipline.

All in all it was a change for the better and I did pretty well there. Strangely though, the Grammar School retained its singular status and it had always been co-educational!

Memories eh!!

All the best
Chris

Quick edit::

I didn't start this thread it was the Dali Lima, I was trying to follow Vic Lewis's post. but he had got caught in the "great GN time warp" last night and was sent to the 11th Oct and my post ended up at the top of page one.
Sorry Dali Lima but it wern't my fault, brilliant thread though!

Chris

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

look away by chicago was #1 but i liked, 18 and life by Skid Row

Tim

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I could never pick a favourite song, but my favourite album through highschool was, and still is Riot Act, by Pearl Jam. But I'm only six months out of high school, so I don't really count.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The two albums I really wore out that year were Billy Joel's Glass Houses and Pete Townsend's Empty Glass. We didn't have a rock station in NH at the time, so any good rock music was foreign to me and we all had to get turned on to things by hear-say. For example, AC/DC's Back in Black was released that year, but we never heard it on the radio.

The next year saw a rock station come to the area, so we were saved. Sadly, I grew up on AM-Gold instead of the kick-butt 70's rock that was out there.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Wow, there really is some strange stuff going on around here, suddenly my post got moved to the second reply.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

All I can remember about music at all from my frosh year would be that Carol King's tapestry album won a slew of grammys.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@teegee420)
Trusted Member

Queensryche and Metallica were my favorites in high school.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, that was a long time ago, but I think it might have been "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" released near the end of my freshman year. I'd also include "Get Back" which was released in the spring prior to my first year of high school.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I didn't really listen to music at the time. Come to think of it, I actually started to listen to music only a five years ago or so.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I'm obviously waaaay too old, because I can't remember my freshman year from my sophomore year, from my jun........

High school is just one big blur.........

But I think I started going to concerts around my sophomore year, and Ted Nugent was one of the first I went to (Queen was the first, I do remember that). So I'll say Stranglehold was one of my favorites. Joe Walsh and Rocky Mountain Way was right up there, too.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Would I be correct in assuming a freshman year would be your first year in High School?
We have different terminology here in Australia....(and we have to wear uniforms too)

If so mine would be Eagle Rock by Daddy Cool released in 1971 (my God).
It went on to become the best selling Australian single of the year, achieving gold status in eleven weeks, and remaining at #1 on the national charts for a (then) record ten weeks.

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, my freshman year in High School (9th grade) was 1969, the year Guitar Player magazine voted the greatest year in Rock music several years ago. It was an unbelieveable time, the anti-war movement was in full swing. There was Woodstock (the only one) and Altamont.

I believe the biggest group at that time was Creedence Clearwater Revival. I really liked Fortunate Son and Sweet Hitchhiker, but all of their songs were great. There was Hendrix, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Santana.... man, I could go on for a long time naming the bands then.

Here is a list of some of the big hits from 1969 from Wikipedia.

"Aquarius/Let the Sunshine in" - Fifth Dimension
"Aquele Abraco" - Gilberto Gil
"Baby Make It Soon" - The Marmalade
"Badge" - Cream
"The Ballad of John and Yoko" - The Beatles
"Blackberry Way" - The Move
"But You Know I Love You" - Kenny Rogers and The First Edition
"The Boxer" - Simon and Garfunkel
"In The Ghetto" - Elvis Presley
"Call Me Number One" - The Tremeloes
"Cissy Strut" - The Meters
"Cloud Nine" - The Temptations
"Crimson and Clover" - Tommy James & the Shondells
"Curly" - The Move
"Don't Give In To Him" - Gary Puckett & The Union Gap
"Everyday People" - Sly & the Family Stone
"Get Back" - The Beatles
"Get Ready" - Rare Earth
"Get Together" - The Youngbloods
"Gimmie, Gimmie Good Lovin'" - Crazy Elephant
"Give Peace a Chance" - John Lennon
"Good Times Bad Times" - Led Zeppelin
"Hello Susie" - Amen Corner
"Hello World" - The Tremeloes
"Higher And Higher" - Jackie Wilson
"Honky Tonk Women" - Rolling Stones
"I Can Hear Music" - The Beach Boys
"I Can't Get Next to You" - The Temptations
"I Don't Know Why" - Stevie Wonder
"If Paradise Is Half As Nice" - Amen Corner
"I Heard It Through The Grapevine" - Marvin Gaye
"In the Ghetto" - Elvis Presley
"In the Year 2525" - Zager and Evans
"The Israelites" - Desmond Dekker and the Aces
"It Miek" - Desmond Dekker and the Aces
"L'An 2005" - Dalida
"Lay Lady Lay" - Bob Dylan
"Le Clan des Siciliens" - Dalida (soundtrak)
"The Liquidator" - Harry J.'s All Stars
"Listen to the Band" - The Monkees
"Living In The Past" - Jethro Tull
"Love Child" - Diana Ross & the Supremes
"My Cherie Amour" - Stevie Wonder
"Pinball Wizard" - The Who
"Proud Mary" - Creedence Clearwater Revival
"Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" - B.J. Thomas
"Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town" - Kenny Rogers and The First Edition
"Run Away Child, Running Wild" - The Temptations
"Someday We'll Be Together" - Diana Ross & the Supremes
"Something/Come Together" - The Beatles
"Sophisticated Cissy" - The Meters
"Space Cowboy" - Steve Miller Band
"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" - Crosby, Stills & Nash
"Suspicious Minds" - Elvis Presley
"Sugar, Sugar" - The Archies
"This Girl Is A Woman Now" - Gary Puckett & The Union Gap
"Touch Me" - The Doors
"Wait A Million Years" - The Grass Roots
"Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin
"Winter World of Love" - Engelbert Humperdinck

And that is only the major hits. There was so much music then.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs.....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

High Voltage was big at my school at the time, so TNT was big, Van Halen's first album, well actually I was listening to 8 tracks back then...hehe

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3