Clear all

All-star quality mistakes

47 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone who has tried to record, even in the comfort of their own home, understands how difficult it can be to play a fairly mistake-free piece start to finish. You don't even have to record yourself playing to know this. So, with that said..

Does anyone know of some examples of famous guitarists just plain messing up? With the technology today guitar work can be sliced together, dubbed-over with the correct work, and shoddy guitar work taken out altogether, but are there any guitarists out there who are real enough to let the occasional slip-up onto the finished product? And with that said, are there any examples of painfully obvious slip-ups?

Live is another story, and I'm often surprised to not see screw-ups more often. Live screw-ups are welcome too, because I wouldn't mind seeing/hearing some of that (for example: something on YouTube or a song that made it to a live compilation album.) I'm no sadist, but I would like to see some mistake-laden guitar. Stevie Ray Vaughan flubbed a walking bass-line once on tape, he must have. George Harrison flubbed up a chord to the point it was unrecognizable. Segovia had a brainfart and stopped mid-Asturias because he forgot what came next. You know it happened.

All I want to hear is some samples of humanity. Don't upload any MP3s or anything, that isn't legal. But if you've got an idea of a song that would fit the bill, just point out the title/album.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I know what you mean. It's nice to see what's underneath the polish once in a while, just for reassurance that the polish is there :wink:

I've always thought the timing of one of the fast runs in Metallica's One was awful. I couldn't do any better obviously, but hey.

There's a bass note in the intro to Megadeth's Ecstacy that really grates me, but I don't know if you'd count it as a mistake even if it wasn't just me. It could just as easily be down to something like temperament.

Vocally, Damien Rice really honks a note in Cannonball, about a minute in. I can't believe that one was a) overlooked or b) left in there deliberately.

Oh, and uploading a snippet - a few seconds including the mistake - would be perfectly legal under 'fair use'. I shall try to find the time to do so for those examples when I get home.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Clapton messes up during his crossroads DVD performance. Not sure which song, it's in one of his solo's where he hits the wrong note, one semi-tone of, which he then notices and quickly corrects. And ofcourse Jimmy Page, just any live performance would give you an error-fest you've never seen before. :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

In the recorded version of Free's I'll Be Creeping, Paul Kossoff hits the wrong string at some point and ends up playing the same note twice. It was a mistake but it still sounded good (I even replicate the mistake when I play the song)!

I love mistakes in recordings, they make the playing sound more 'real'.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Lou Reed, in an otherwise good live show, played a solo that was so bad it made my jaw drop. He started in the wrong key and stayed there for the duration.
I think the band assumed he'd correct and get back to the song key, but it never happened. :P

Don

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Just goes to show you, even the greats are as human as we are.....they make mistakes just like we do...maybe not as many, but they make em.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Just been listening to some REM, and heard another vocal one that I'd forgotten about - Micheal Stipe laughing a line in The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight at about 2:32 :)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Here's a classic - the intro to the live version of "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

there are several.. talking live just recently John Mayer Trio john mayer messes up a lead part plays real dirty. get the DVD "The Last Waltz" watch clapton, van morrison and several others screw up.

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Crosby, Stills, nash: Almost cut my hear (studio version), the intro has the wrong tempo and is restarted.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That reminds me - Green Day's Good Riddance does similar - Billie Joe hits the wrong strings and restarts twice, swearing under his breath, before he gets it right. I think that particular example was deliberate though, rather than just left in...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

In Nirvana - Polly, there is a bridge with just the bass, you hear Kurt saying "Polly said" then the guitar kicks in and he says it again. I thought it was intentional but apparently he came in at the wrong time but they decided to leave it in.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Eric Claptons-Alberta- The band starts, and he say's "hold on, hold on". I think it's great that they didn't edit it out. Gives the rest of us hope.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

even the greats are as human as we are.....they make mistakes just like we do...

That was painfully obvious in the Lou Reed one I cited. You could sense his panic when he hit the first bum note of the solo. And then I guess his brain just froze because what followed was maybe 30 or 40 seconds of caterwauling.
To his credit, he shook it off right away and the rest of the show went off without a hitch.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I caught a performance of a noted fingerstyle guitarist...in the middle of a song, he made a howling mistake and even growled loudly so the whole audience could his displeasure about it. Not sure which was worse...the mistake or the growl.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4