Notifications
Clear all

All-star quality mistakes

47 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@nineinchrails)
Eminent Member

Eric Claptons-Alberta- The band starts, and he say's "hold on, hold on". I think it's great that they didn't edit it out. Gives the rest of us hope.

Once I saw this on video I realized why. Eric had left the glass slide on his fret-hand pinky and forgot about it. He went to fret the first chord of Alberta and gave that look like "somethin ain't right here" :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I believe that Clapton forgot his count and went into his solo all wrong. What resulted was one of his classic and much lauded solos.
Now, if only I could remember which song................................ :? :? :oops:

Crossroads, probably. He's stated that he hates his second solo on that song because he's ends up playing on the wrong beat or something.

George Harrison hits a real clunker Great reaction from him when he does it.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I saw a guitar lesson from Dimebag Darrell where he was showing how to play various Pantera songs. He messed up more than a few times and cursed. He says he writes songs by taking a shot of beer and letting it rip so he more or less learns the songs on the spot when he replays them.

Gives me hope because that's how I learn songs and write riffs. Without the beer though.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Eric Clapton, "Crossroads", to this day he can't figure out why this is considered a classic. He says that he can't even stand listening to it to this day, he claims to get the beat wrong. His words, "it's f$%*&#g wrong!"

God, I wished I sucked like that!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Peter Gabriel's 'Amnesty' performance in Chile (around 92) was horrendous...he was completely stiff and out of the mood, and he brought Sinead O C'onnor to sing 'Don't Give Up' with him . She was reading the lyrics from a paper and singing in an obvious wrong tempo I couldn't believe this was happening... I forgot this embarrasing moment until now.

and speaking of recordings I love the beginning of 'Baker Street Muse' in Jethro Tull's 'Minstrel in the Gallery' where Ian Anderson begins a wrong acoustic guitar line..stops it while saying 'shitshitshit'(Note:censorship here changed the word by the way ;))...and starts again..lovely!

finally one of the facts that made Captain Beefheart sound so unique is because in 'Trout Mask Replica' he recorded his vocals without using headphones while he was listening the echo of the rest of the band...that made him sing in a fraction of seconds later than the rest of instruments.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

The Beatles song Let It Be. After the guitar comes in there is an unintentional open string played.

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wt4OavFedwg

I thought this was a nice find. It shows that mister vai himself can't play perfectly perfect all the time.
Quite a few mistakes, but it only shows that he's human, just like the rest of us.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxd5BkNSOg

Eric Clapton with Paul McCartney and Phil Collins on the drums - While My Guitar Gently Weeps, played for the royal family in England... Listen to the first 10 seconds, maybe it was intentional, but it sounds like Paul screwed up with the piano intro.

This is apparently from a concert to celebrate "The Queen's Golden Jubilee" whatever that is? At Buckingham Palace.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison has a few. During "The Long Black Veil", Johnny sings, "I'd been in the arms of my best friend's wife", and then he laughs and says, "did I hear somebody applaude?"

Also, during, "Dark As The Dungeon", someone in the audience laughs and Johnny laughs and says, "No laughing during the song please, It's being recorded, I know, hell! Don't you know it's being recorded?"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Couldn't find the video on line but at some concert Billy Joel was doing "You may be Right", and at the line "turn out the lights, don't try to save me" the venue is supposed to turn off all the lights, they didn't and Billy looked up like "what the heck!". Line comes around another time, he sings it and they turn out the lights and Billy shouts "THANK YOU!"

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You'll not find any duff performances from good ol' Bing Crosby. Whenever he realised he'd done something wrong, he'd begin swearing. They'd stop the recording, destroy the version with swearing on it and start again. He made certain that none would ever get out.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

This is apparently from a concert to celebrate "The Queen's Golden Jubilee" whatever that is? At Buckingham Palace.

50th anniversary of the Queen's coronation.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

John Frusciante mucks up seeingly a lot live. He did a bit when I saw the Chilis in 2006, and the Live at Slane Castle DVD has a mistake within the first few minutes of the intro-jam.

Fru's Finest

To his credit, he did say at the end that he just learned the song that day...but that's no excuse!! :lol:
Also, there's somebody booing him 55 seconds into it, which should never happen. :x

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

snow patrol - chasing cars (live) off one of the new compilation albums has the singer starting in the wrong spot, shutting up again halfway through the line and coming back in a few seconds later

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Bruce Springsteen on the Storytellers show, uses the wrong guitar for one song (think he wanted one with a capo?) and also forgets his Harmonica a couple of times.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4