(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Yes.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

:shock:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

could be --

or maybe you just lack imagination?

or both?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

well, depends really....

If you aren't letting her audition because she's a woman, yes.

If you aren't because you prefer a male singer for the sound, then not sexist, but as greg suggests perhaps lacking the imagination or the willingness to stretch your artistic boundaries.

You could be discriminating solely based on age you know. As a geezer I completely understand. :D

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Let the girl sing!

I was in a cover band once and we let a female audition for us, even though we mostly played Scorpions & UFO songs. She rocked & got the gig. Put a unique twist on those songs. Of coarse she wanted us to do some Pat Benatar & Heart as well, which we gladly added. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Didn't Kris Kristofferson write that?

ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!! We got a winner. From wiki ""Me and Bobby McGee" is a song written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster"
I thought everyone knew that....yow. I'm old.

cnev. you must audition the girl. it would be a huge asset to a band to have a female singer. they can front a band. I have heard and seen many that work out just great.
my friends last band had a guy and girl that could sing. they split duites and the song list grew and became interesting.
and on the 'sexist' side of things, a girl in a band gets more attention than just a bunch of guys on stage.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I think it's 100 % in favor of having her tryout so that's what it looks like will do.

Alman - that's a bit of what I think I was afraid of happening. We want to keep the songs in the same style.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

well i hope that the try out goes okay. let us all know what happens.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well we are auditioning a guy this Thursday and the girl on Friday so we'll see what happens. I think I'll know what I'm looking for pretty quickly and it's not all about the singing all though that's a big part. It's just as important that there is some kind of a vibe *for alck of a better word) with the band as a whole.

I'd much rather have a person that we are all comfortable with and vice versa and be a little less on the vocals than someone that sings better but doesn't really click with the band (although I think that would be evident really quick)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

A bit of an update. We have not auditioned the girl yet, that's supposed to happen this Friday but we had two male singers come by last week and man this whole thing is mind boggling.

The first guy comes over to sing (now he already knows the songs we are playing) and as we play a CD of the songs he proceeds to tell us how he can't sing this song he can't sing that song...blah, blah...after about 15 minutes of that we had enough he basically was too scared to even try so he never sang. Now the other singer is his friend so he just kept saying joe can sing that, Joe can sing that.

So our Friday practice comes and Joe (the real singer) shows up. Now he too was given a copy of the songs before hand with a CD and the lyrics to practice before he got there. He had some of the same comments but eventually did sing most of the songs we got through that night, but the problem was he was not good...well he's better than what we have now but we all really suck so it's not saying much. His voice was flat most of the time. There were some songs he didn't know well so his inflections were off. Now we are not a great band or anything but his singing was worse than our playing and if anything I'd like to have a singer is at least as good or better than the rest of the band. If we were to keep him he adds no real value to the band and all he'd be doing is taking up space until we found someone else to replace him and I do not want to go through that drama. The drummer who brought him was bummed out that the rest of us didn't like him and had a talk with him and all of a sudden his throat was hurting that day and can he have another chance etc. In the interest of being fair I said sure (although there's no way he's going to become a singer in a few days) but I agreed that if got 3-4 songs down he could come by and sing those and we'd see, but I'm not expecting much.

Now we have the girl coming by Friday to audition and another guy who our bass player met at a blues jam over the weekend who says he can sing too.

So we'll see what happens.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey man, good luck with all that. I imagine it would be much more pressure to audition people for a band than it would be to conduct job interviews. :|

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Roy,

Well it's all pretty new to me so we are just kind of winging it. At some level it feels weird telling someone they weren't good enough or whatever, especially when I think about my musical skills, but I do have an quasi idea about what I am looking for and I know I can tell if I find the right singer. The problem is will we find the right singer anytime soon. I don't want to just grab the first person that can sing halfway decent because we can't find anyone else and I'm not looking for some great singer who's going to want to bolt at the first better opportunity they get.

This is pretty much just a hobby to have some fun, wouldn't expect we'd ever play more than a coupel times/month if that. I'd actually like to play some house party's I think that would be fun.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm changing my answer to "No"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nick,

I appreciate the reversal of your original vote although I never really considered myself sexiest. This is all pretty new to me and like I mentioned to Roy it's a bit of a struggle for me to have to tell someone that they didn't make it..heck I wouldn't be in many bands myself if I didn't start one myself so it's hard to have to make these kinds of decisions.

But as a band we do sound pretty good and I just don't wan't to settle for the first warm body that shows up.

We've had 3 guys try out already and none were anywhere near good enough so I'm actually looking forward to the girl coming by because she's probably going to be better than what we've heard already.

This whole thing kind of reminds me of the 1st few shows of American Idol every season where they put people on there that can't sing at all and you wonder why they even attempted to go on the show. That's what it's been like with the guys I can't even beleive they thought they could sing.

I really have gained some new respect for people that have been doing this for a long time. It's a lot of work and a lot of drama all the time and we haven't even played out yet and gone through all those growing pains.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I never really did either.

It is difficult to find any band member, but vocalists in particular seem to be a pita to find. You get a lot of people who think it's easy, or I can sing along to a song on the radio and they just don't know. It's more than just singing, it's selling it, preparing it, getting the nuances of your instrument right, dynamics, breath control, feelings etc.

Finding that person is tough enough, so I'm glad you are broadening the scope of your search. You never know when you will find the person that fits just right.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4