Any Die Hard Aerosmith fans out there?

19 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

If so I have a question for you. On the album Get your Wings I've read that the solos to several of the songs were not done by Perry and Whitford as they weren't good enough to play them so they had studio musicians Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner play the guitar parts. They were not given credit on the album as they were "ghost" musicians which from what I read is fairly common. Train kept a rollin is one of the solos that they didn't play on the album.

I've found reference to that on some album reviews but nothing I would consider official.

Has anyone ever heard this? Would you know where I could find the information. I've already Googled it etc.

Steve Hunter who was one of the guitar players does have a reference to it on his website but it doesn't say that he actually played the solos.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Sorry I'm so late in posting. Had to stand in line waiting. :wink:

I can't verify nor deny the claim myself.

I hadn't heard any of this information so I'm no help. I just figured someone should say something. Hey, no one said it had to be intelligent. :roll:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I hadn't heard any of this information so I'm no help. I just figured someone should say something. Hey, no one said it had to be intelligent. :roll:

:lol:

No clue either, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least. I believe it's done frequently in just that way.

There may be many reasons a studio version sounds flawless, sometimes in contrast to a live performance which can dazzle with visual pizzaz to compensate.

There--one more less-than-brilliant post..... :twisted:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

there is nobody that can convince me, that joe perry can't play guitar, i have a hard time buying into that , joe is an awsome guitar player
i don't believe it, but, man, i would have to have solid proof and still would have hard time believing that 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Nez,

Thanks that's what I needed. I have a bet going with my guitar teacher about this.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

True or not, it's plausible. Good live acts have not aways been good in the studio (and v. versa). If the studio work is not going well, the producer will bring in 'pros' to help out, as studio time is money. As for Joe Perry's playing: Consider that this was 30 years ago ... plently of time since then for Joe to learn to play guitar really well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Even the guys that played the guitar parts aren't sure why Perry didn't play(I think they don't want to say he wasn't technical enough) but I read the producer wanted some technical leads and both Perry and Whitford were just not that skilled as guitar players at the time to play the leads..obviuosly they figured it out later on

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

ok, you guys have convinced me, but it still leaves a bad taste, joe perry, the riff master, its a sad day :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

ok, you guys have convinced me, but it still leaves a bad taste, joe perry, the riff master, its a sad day :cry:

Hey, that's the way the musical wheel turns ...

I'm sure a more 'mature' Joe Perry has stepped in and done exactly the same for some newer band with a less-than-hot guitar-slinger.

Newflash Kiss: ALive! wasn't recorded live! :o

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

well, if anyone's read the band's autobiography, recording their early albums, ESPECIALLY the first one, was very hard for them. They struggled with their abilities and almost overwhelming nervousness. Often, Steven Tyler would tape over the lights in the studio that signalled "recording" just to help get over their fears.

It is sad to hear they didnt play some of their parts, but i guess it make sense somewhat...Joe Perry can play Train Kept A Rollin' behind his head these days (ive seen him do it at a show twice).

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Actually in a way it makes me feel better about my guitar playing in some weird way. I've always loved Aerosmith and Joe Perry's playin and knowing that even he wasn't that great when he started out kinda makes me feel alittle better. Just goes to show you that perserverance pays off.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, if you read up on Aerosmith you'll find that Joe Perry was very insecure about his playing. Felt that he had little natural talent, and had to work very hard at it. Rather inspirational, I think.

I rather enjoyed the article in a guitar magazine a year or two ago where Joe Perry and Jimmy Page were interviewed together. Joe Perry was so awed by being in the presence of his guitar hero, they could hardly get him to talk.

I saw 'em play a few years ago in Nashville. Joe was awed that he'd just been given a pair of boots that had belonged to Webb Pierce, and also that he'd gotten to meet Phil Everly earlier in the day.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

gnease,

are you trying to kill me? KISS ALIVE was not recorded live? please tell
me its not so :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

gnease,

are you trying to kill me? KISS ALIVE was not recorded live? please tell
me its not so :shock:

It's controversial. But there many reports of significant studio reworking of the album because the actual live recordings were terrible. There is a VH1 Behind the Music or something similar on this. The documentary included a lot of currently famous "performers" describing how they had been inspired by KISS: ALIVE, and how disappointed and betrayed they felt to learn it wasn't. The band is very cagey about the whole thing.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Lots of "live albums" have been heavily reworked and overdubbed in the studio.

I like to hear 'em with a few rough spots in them. Sounds like it's real. Nobody plays a perfect show.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2