Clear all

Anyone buy "Just Because?"

27 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I was wondering how often this really happens. I was ordering a book from my local mom and pop guitar shop, and was looking at this Stagg travel guitar. Has an awesome neck, plays and sounds great, comparable to a Baby Taylor Travel type guitar, and was about $195 and included a heavily padded gig bag. I walked out of the store wanting it, and though....what the heck, maybe I'll get it.

I didn't get it, but when I go back to pick up the book, it may happen if I've got the cash on hand.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there and see who and how often it happens?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Why else would you buy one?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

No, when I'm shopping for guitars I do my research first and narrow it down to what I want, go play each of them and make a final decision. But, then, I've never been a "spur of the moment" kind of shopper!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Never....

each one of my gazillion guitars was a carefully researched and tested purchase

:lol:

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I had kind of figured that it was common LOL.

But I've always been a spur of the moment buyer then find out that it's not what I needed. The hollow body isn't as versatile as I would like, so I may be trading it in. With only one pickup it sounds really really muddy.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I also do the research first. In fact I think I am always researching... I want to be ready! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I am also a researcher before I make the purchase. Since I don't trust most salesmen, I usually ignore them, especially when they are telling me - "dude, this guitar is the best"!

But yeah, I am not an impulse buyer at all & will definantly check out reviews/prices, etc. online before buying. OTOH, you mentioned that you played it & like the sound/feel, so I guess that really isn't considered an impulse buy. As always, I would try to talk the salesmen down a bit on the price... :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well in general I'm more of a spontaneous buyer with guitar stuff not so much but I did buy a guitar because of the way it looked.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've only ever bought one guitar on impulse, and it's the best purchase I've ever made! I was actually looking for a Squier Tele with P90's and went to my local guitar shop to buy one....price was £169. But before I even set foot in the shop my eyes were drawn to this beautiful white MIM Tele on the wall - I never even asked about the Squier. "I want that white Telecaster on the wall!" were my opening words to the salesman....."how much is it?" £330....fortunately I was in posession of the required funds!

Most of the time though, If I'm going to fork out for a new guitar, I'll research it first....compare prices, check availability, etc etc. Then I'd probably ask (in Opinions and Polls) "What do you think of this guitar?"

But then again, who's to say it won't happen again someday?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Im sure I could easily impulse buy lots of guitars if I had the spare cash to do so. I wonder if I could get funding for a Psych MPhil to research this....

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

As far as new guitar gear is concerned.... I never buy on impulse.
I research guitars and amps to death, and have played tons of guitars thru tons of amps at music stores.

When I was young, I saved up $500.00 and went to GC to buy a new Gibbo Les Paul (my 'then' dream guitar).
The sales guy literally laughed at me when I told him I had 500 bucks and wanted a LP!
(They were twice that at the time).
So I settled for a MIA Strat.
How did I choose it?
Had to have a maple fretboard (cos of Clapton's Brownie Strat on the Domino's album cover),
and I got it in white, cos I only like pastel colors on Strats. (Still prefer white guitars over all).
Still have it, some 21 years later.
I've never been completely satisfied with it; and my dissatisfaction seems to grow more and more as time goes by.
So, I learned my lesson from that.

I also have a 71 Strat.... and so far, NO new guitars have ever measured up to that one, so
I've never bought any new electrics (though, one is in the making).

When it comes to vintage gear, well, that's a different story.
I can be pretty impulsive as long as the price is right.

I just picked up an early 60's 30 watt tube amp for $250.00.
I bought a '66 Gibbo SG with original case for $200.00.
And a '91(?) Ovation Custom Balladeer with Hardshell case for $200.00.
My early 60's Harmony Stratatone and H303a 5 watt tube amp were both free.

Though, my mind doesn't work towards profit when it comes to these things.... and
as such, I walked away from buying a pretty cherry and original 60's Dan Electro for $10.00 (yes, TEN dollars),
and a '56 Gibbo Goldtop w/original hardshell case for $500.00 :(

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That researching stuff is just slow impulse buying.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That researching stuff is just slow impulse buying.

Yeah, but it makes me feel better about making the purchase! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It is tempting . . . when itching . . . to scratch.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Why else would you buy one?

Ha! Good one, Doc!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2