Clear all

Anyone going to Merle Fest this year?

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My wife and I are thinking about it. Would be cool to meet up with other folks one or both know. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Very good Roy. Nice that you can go together and enjoy. It looks awesome!

http://www.merlefest.org/MerleFestCMS/default.aspx

It's amazing, all that you can do in your own neighborhood. 8)

I'll be staying further up North unless one of the crowd takes me on as a worthwile charity and pays my way? :cry: :lol:

I really do have a place in my own heart for charities, and here's one near you that means a lot to me - I'd volunteer.

http://www.victoryjunction.org/

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It's only a couple hours away I think. I'm looking forway to it. I also discovered that Bill Kirchen is playing here in a couple weeks at some small-time music house. I need to dig into that and get some tix. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_FK6o8RPSQ&feature=PlayList&p=C66716CBBB0A0179&index=41

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Fabulous link Roy! Thanks. I was unaware of that version. I love the parodies of other artists, or imitations on guitar.

That is just so cool, you can't beat that, but you sure lift me up from being down in dumps to a new high. Zero to 100!

And more memories, when I stood up like that 38 years ago with '72 tele strapped on, before a coffee house audience, I was told by the crowd to bring back the acoustic and turn the volume down. I couldn't, I was the only presenter, brought one gee-tar, the stand-up mike and P.A. system and told 'em it would be electric... but I'm not Bob Dylan or Bill Kirchen!

It has always been a favorite song of mine, as well as Bill himself, and the other's riffs.

I found this other "inspired" or take-off a version as a result. I like Fords. :lol:

Looks like we have another hot rod race! http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=1EpWqXdsQtg&feature=related

And more foolin' around with the theme & another Tele afficionado?

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I think was gnease who turned me on the that one. Good stuff.

I just got a call and it looks like we're gonna have a mini-crowd going next week for Kirchen. I'm gonna go buy tickets tomorrow and get more info.

I just remembered my son and his girlfriend in the back seat of my Town Car a couple years ago. She blurts out "I love this car. Ir reminds me of my Grandfather's". :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I'd love to be one of your crowd. Good for you!

Nice to have memories too, uhh even if overly-age appropriate?

Sorry I can't join you, but here is my favorite, small town, local band-next-door. 8)

It's on that popular theme of cars and oldies, and it's either Hot Rod Heaven, or Strat Sensational.

Hehe, I'm just one of thousands of fans and legions of followers. They play Minnesota and as far as Vancouver too. Enjoy the video! Time well spent, and it's free. :lol:

http://www.thesensationalhotrods.com/The%20Sensational%20Hot%20Rods/Home.html

Also one of the band's race cars, their "late model" Stock Car in addition to their classic version, like a Model A or Deuce:

And entertaining in Thunder Bay, these boys always have their act together and are like a big-band show, and sold out.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Great band name.

That looks like a D.I.R.T. Series car. I'll check the site out later. Intermission time here. Just watched a a movie with some great regular old Hot Rods. (Death Proof by Quentin Tarrantino) I think it's Planet Terror next. My son is picking out the movies tonight. I'm betting my wife will have bad dreams. I've seen Planet Terror before. Not really worth mentioning on a guitar site except that I think the music director(s) for his movies always pick some off the wall stuff that is so perfect for the scenes.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

They look like a fun band. Before my time, but boy oh boy did my mother-in-law and her husband party to this stuff right up to the end. They'd have liked these guys. :D

Roy

ReplyQuote