Clear all

Awesome cover of Highway Star

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Found this great cover of Highway Star by Deep Purple on You Tube. Don't know this group but they are pretty great (vocals could be a little better). Anyway, I've always considered the solo in this song to be one of the greatest ever (just my opinion), these guys play it note for note. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ZxlxTvjI8

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

(@rocker)
Noble Member

great vid wes, ya know when ritchie blackmores on, you cant count him out of the list of the best, he was always one of my idols 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Awesome cover of a great song! My first 8-track tape (yeah, I know I'm old) was Deep Purple Machine Head. I wore that tape out.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My first 8 track was Led Zeppelin II 8) but I had Machine Head on a cassette ..... :P

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

First record was "Meet The Beatles"!

Yeah, First eight track was "Machine Head", I still have it and the matchbook cover for underneath it! :lol:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

That's a pretty great cover. I love Deep Purple.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

Machine Head is definetly one of the best albums from that period. I love the later stuff he did in Rainbow with Ronnie Dio.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, Wes.

Highway Star is my favorite DP tune. I love everything about it -- vocals, organ, guitar, drumming, arrangement ...

DP still seems to be very popular in Asia. Last year, I was in Korea on biz, and did Karaoke for the first time there. This quiet little Korean engineer who speaks broken English (but 10,000 times better than my Korean!) belts out a perfect rendition of ... you guessed it: Highway Star!!! Perfect castrati rock vocals and "everything" -- it really was awesome. Me, I could barely croak out Evil Ways (Baaaaybeeee!)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

My intro to Deep Purple was "Kentucky Woman". But what really hooked me was "Child in Time"

BTW, I just got tickets for them at the House of Blues in Orlando, FL 07-13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's this legend. Back in 1972, Pink Floyd played in Columbia, SC on the same night that Deep Purple played in Charleston, SC. The bands decided to play a pratical joke on South Carolina. The story goes that Deep Purple opened with a Pink Floyd song (One of These Days) and Pink Floyd opened with a Deep Purple song (Child in Time). The question is, which concert would you have rather attended?

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

This is the "Made in Japan" version, no? :wink:

Seriously, great song Wes!
And also I find this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keisuke_Kuwata

ReplyQuote