Clear all

Back to the Tele.....

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Last few weeks, I've re-discovered the old Squier Tele. Man, I do love that guitar - but today I got my REAL Tele back.

I'd lost volume on the top E string - it was like the rest of the guitar was playing at the same volume, say #5 and the top E string at #2.....it was getting completely lost. All those little touches, like adding sus4ths to a D chord, were getting lost.

Soooo - it was still under guarantee, so I took it back to the shop - Dawson's. Got it back today. Not only have they sorted out the loss of volume on the top E, but they've also thoroughly cleaned the guitar, and - get this - where it was showing signs of wear on the frets, especially down near the nut where there were actual indentations - they've smoothed all those out. I didn't ask them to do that - all I wanted was that top E to be the same volume as the rest of the strings. But they've really done a nice job on it, and all for nothing - seems customer after-care actually means something at Dawson's. And do you know, they EVEN PUT BRAND NEW STRINGS ON!

Got it home, plugged it in and played a few riffs - oh my, it's like I've suddenly had the blinkers removed. It's like I've just moved up a level - everything sounded GOOD! And the feel - well, mere words are insufficient, it's like somebody at the Fender factory got inside my head and thought, "Hey - let's make the PERFECT guitar for Vic Lewis!"

Man, I feel like a born-again guitarist - it's like everything I've ever played before now was just practise, and all of a sudden I CAN ACTUALLY PLAY! Like I said, I've enjoyed getting back in touch with the Squier - but from now on, that is going to be strictly reserved for open G tuning. And you know what? The guitar tech in the shop saw I was so happy with my "new" Tele, she said she could do the same for my old Squier - including rewiring it. The price she quoted for that is about the same for a couple of new sets of strings, so I'm already up on the deal.......

OK, I'll shut up now, and I'll go plug the Tele in......I just wanted to share one of those great guitar moments with you all!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks Vic, I love these posts. I remember another of your posts, when you got your Tele. It did I considered seriously a Fender and some months later I got my little Layla.

While I was reading I feel like playing a Tele...

:wink:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it's strange - lead, rhythm, fills, licks - they just haven't felt the same these last few weeks. Now, all of a sudden, guitar playing sounds GOOD again.....

You know, it doesn't matter what guitar you love, as long as you make music with it, it'll always be there for you - this Tele is just the most beautiful guitar I've ever played. I know, of course, that statement's so subjective, but at the moment,I really don't care - I'm just so happy to be back with "my baby" again, all other guitars are irrelevant...

So, you Strat/LP/Epi/Rickenbacker owners - don't have a go at me, I'm just happy with the tele - anyone likes another guitar, fair enough.....but I know which guitar I'll be playing for the next 70 years or so!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I think you should post NEW pictures of your "NEW" Tele :wink:

I'm curious, I've never seen your guitare before!

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Alright Vic!

Glad you got your Tele back and that it sounds better than ever. You know, I don't mention it much, but I still play my Fender Tele almost everyday, played it this morning. They are great guitars with their own unique tone. Nothing sounds like a real Fender Tele. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Alright Vic!

Glad you got your Tele back and that it sounds better than ever. You know, I don't mention it much, but I still play my Fender Tele almost everyday, played it this morning. They are great guitars with their own unique tone. Nothing sounds like a real Fender Tele. :twisted:

G&L does-- but then the pedigree includes a whole lotta Fender.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

vic and tele
sittin in a tree
k. i. s. s. i. n. g.
first comes love
then come the awesome riffs !!!!!!!!!!!
way to go man.
what incredible detailed service.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Happy days are here again! 8) Nice to hear that some places still beleive in good customer service too. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's cool man! Nothing like a local shop giving good service. I wish mine wuz still open. Glad you got your Tele back.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

That's awsome news!!! Glad to hear that it reinvigorated you. Its always a good feeling when you get great service like that too. Its what keeps you going back to the merchant. See what a new set of strings and a cleaned up guitar can do for you? Wouldn't it be great if that worked for everything? "Hey, I just got a haircut and I feel great!" or "I just washed my car and its getting better gas mileage".

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Not to beat a dead horse but didn't you recently post how you took your Squier out recently and how good it sounded?

Maybe cheap quitars are just that...cheap guitars!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Not to beat a dead horse but didn't you recently post how you took your Squier out recently and how good it sounded?

Maybe cheap quitars are just that...cheap guitars!

Yeah the Squier's had a fair bit of playing lately - and yes, it did sound good. It'll probably sound better with new strings on and set up for slide again!

Vic

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

As long as they sound good that's all that matters!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

The planets must be aligned to cause cosmic rays because lately I've had my eye(s) on a Tele for a while. Not a Squier Tele (it's cosmic rays, not divine intervention) but a Fender one, with the twing-twang and those weird pick ups switches. If not cosmic rays, then maybe it's Vic's strong case for them or Moonrider telling me what the 'magic' of them is which sadly I forget. I had been saving for vacation but circumstances haven't allowed me to travel so I may just trade the Squier Strat in for a Fender Tele. I wanted to stay away from famous shapes because I wanted to avoid being trapped playing songs of guitarists who made them famous (see my Jaguar for Nirvana riffs). The Tele is a famous shape but I don't really know any famous Tele players. Well I do know of Jimmy Page and Keith Richards but am not worried about being stuck playing their songs. I've been looking at the Fender Standard Tele, the J5 Tele and the American Deluxe Tele.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

.....I don't really know any famous Tele players.....

Here's a PARTIAL list......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecaster_players

It really is the most versatile guitar there is - is there another guitar on which you can play C&W and Heavy Metal? And everything inbetween?

For me, though, the key item is the maple fretboard - looking back, I'm sure the reason I chose the Squier Tele back in 2005 over the Fenders I tried was the maple fretboard. It's the only explanation that makes sense!

Well actually there IS another explanation - I could have been very drunk (not unlikely, as I'd just inherited a large-ish sum of money)......

But I'm sure I'd have noticed the difference when I sobered up.

Tele + Maple Fretboard = Guitar Heaven.

As always, just MY opinion.......

Vic

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2