Baseball playoffs

Notifications
Clear all

Baseball playoffs

29 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

mikespe, I don't hate the Yankees but then again I don't respect them for anything either..all they do is buy a new team of superstars every year..I guess I can respect them for spending alot of money that other teams just don't have. It's alittle bit of an unfair advantage.

Don't blame the Yankees for that...Blame the league for not instilling a salary cap. The Yankees are just using the resources they have like any other team. It's just that their resources are more plentifull than the other teams.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

mikespe,

Your 100% correct they are just going by the rules, but that's why people hate them so much...regardless of whether or not those are the rules, the reality is they have an unfair advantage over probably 90 % of the teams in terms of dollars available so when they win a pennant it always seems like they just bought it instead of earned it.

But it's like Tommy Lasorda says in his commercials, Come it's October time to hate the Yankees!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

I don't blame the Yankees for anything and there should be a cap.

The way it is now, with both the Red Sox and Yankees paying a tax to the rest of the teams because they spend over a certain level, it has greatly affected the quality of players available in the free agent market. That's because teams are taking that money and using it to resign players that they could not afford to before (as they should be).

This has particularly affected pitching contracts when we now see players worth maybe 5 or 6 million getting more like 10 or 12 million just because there is nothing out there.

If pitching and defense win championships, then the Yankees will not win it this year. They have an outstanding offense but surely not the best defense or pitching of the teams remaining. They may not even win this series.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

a cap, and also revenue sharing, excuse me if they have already implemented this as i have not watched a major league game since the players strike of 94 when they canceled the world series.
yea, it's all about money, i hate what it has done to a sport i played with great love as a kid.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

TL,

I hear you but I'm not sure the money thing in and of itself is the cause. I have no problem with a baseball player making millions of dollars to play a game anymore than I fault Brittney Spears for making money doing whatever she does...if you can make it go for it.

In terms of a pro sport such as baseball where some teams have much deeper pockets than the rest of the league obviously they'll have the advantage of luring the best players, but it kind of takes the fun out of the playoffs to me.

every year you wait to hear who's available as free agents and as soon as the marquee players get mentioned the next sentence always includes something along the lines of "The Yankees have shown interest in signing so and so for xxx millions."

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i agree the money itself is not the cause, but the inability of the small market teams to hold onto players they develop. it makes it a heartbreak every time someone shows to be of "star" calibre.
for instance Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran etc.
you know that Steinbrenner or other deep pockets are going to lure them away.

They need to create parity in the league like the NFL has, and revenue sharing and salary caps are the only way that will ever happen.
until then it will usually always be a large market city in the playoffs with all the star players etc.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I don't begrudge the Yankees for spending their money on an allstar team. If Steinbrenner wants to spend his money, why do I care? In fact, most of the owners of big-league teams have more money than Steinbrenner has... Steinbrenner is just a freak and focuses all of his available resources on the Yankees.

The main difference is that Steinbrenner and a host of other teams re-invest their baseball proceeds in their team, while other owners take the proceeds as profits. Why don't the rest of the owners spend more money? Why? What is the incentive to them? They make money on their business, why invest more money? If KC's payroll went up by 30 million a year, would they make 30 million MORE in proceeds to offset the investment? What's more, would they make 40 million MORE to garner a 10 million return on their 30 million investment? Also, why bother when they can pocket the money the Red Sox and Yankees give them in the luxury tax?

No, I hate the Yankees because they have won so much in their history that they EXPECT to win and any year in which they don't win the World Series is seen as a failure. I hate the fact that any high-profile free agent is never going to sign with Tampa Bay or KC even if they offer the same amount of money. I hate the fact that old players who want a shot to win the World Series again (or for the first time) go to NY because they know they have a better chance there. I hate the fact that everyone in America has forgiven Jason Giambi simply because he told the truth (because he had to) about steroids and that his pumped up biceps cost the Red Sox Game 7 in 2003. I also hate that Yankee fans give him a pass, and even feel sorry for him about everything he had to go through, even though he broke the law just like Barry Bonds. I can't stand that players will compromise who they are as individuals just to play (and get the paycheck) from the Yankees. I hate the fact that west coast and middle-america based playoff games start at 1pm and 4pm and Yankee games are scheduled for prime time - even though it makes more sense to everyone in the world to start east coast games at 1pm - just because it is the Yankees.

I also can't stand that other teams give the Yankees players they don't want so they can unload salaries. Bobby Abreau and Cory Lidle for a marginal minor league player?? Are you serious?

Don't get me wrong - the Red Sox have their own issues. We are a screwed up, crazy team right now. And the Red Sox have plenty of resources to win themselves.

I also hate the fact that Mariano Rivera only throws one type of pitch and nobody has figured out how to hit it.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Lets go Tigers!!!!

8-0 Tigers right now in the top of the 7th!

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey ... goodbye A-Rod!!! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

It would be so nice for the Yankee players to get some time off and go see the Foliage this year. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yankee's are out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a beer on me!

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So the mighty Yankees hath fallen. I'm very pleasantly surprised. The Tigers had the best pitching in baseball this season, but I didn't think they'd be able to handle a stacked Yankee lineup full of future Hall of Famers, but they did it. Congrats to the Tigers, they looked fantastic. What a turnaround with that team.

I'm pretty disappointed with the Twins. I think they were a better team than the A's, but they just played so tight, and were playing behind the whole series. They practically gave it away. I'm now pulling for the A's, but I can't say I'd be upset to see the Tigers go to the WS.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I must say that I'm a bit shocked, but happy! Now I can watch the playoffs with pure baseball enthusiasm instead of dreading that the Yanks will win another one. (Yes, that mindset is what I consider the REAL Curse of the Bambino).

Mikespe, we can now continue our online friendship.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

What is this "baseball" that you speak of? Is it that "game" that's played in the summer when there's no football? :D

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I'm so tired of the "Yankoffs" And I am so glad that they got beat by the tigers in the first round. yea, 2 years ina roll the yanks have lost in the first round, maybe next year they won't even make it to the playoffs.

I knew the Cardinals would beat the Padreas but i think the cards vs. Mets is going to be a very exciting series. as the Mets have been fairly strong all year.

In the american league, non of the teams I like made it so i would say i would like to see the A's take Detroit. I think an A's vs. Cardinals would be a great world series.

Somebody said the Cards limped into the playoffs. Every team has a slump. I think they are out of it. Also the Cardinals are considered the best NL team. have been since the season started. they have also went to the final round 4 in the past 5 years and the world series once. Not the Mets.

I'm sorry but I just can't stand NY teams so I will be rooting for the Cardinals in the NL and A's in the AL.

Baseball is so cool! 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2