Clear all

Best movies about music

41 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
10.5 K Views
(@olive)
Estimable Member

Grateful Dawg--documentary about Jerry Garcia and David Grisman playing bluegrass. Really good stuff.

"My ex-boyfriend can't tell me I've sold out, because he's in a cult, and he's not allowed to talk to me." --Dar Williams

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Latcho Drom
Flamenco!
The Wall.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Haven't seen "School of Rock" yet, but it seems pretty popular...

(Smacks self hard here!!!!) How could I forget the Blues Brothers!!! Also I seem to be one of the few people who enjoyed BB2000 - that jam session at the end is incredible!!!!

Teleplayer....Is "Sympathy for the Devil" the film which shows sort of random scenes of anarchy intercut with several different versions of the Stones playing "Sympathy" in the Studio?

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I edited out all the avante garde poetry reading and other foolishness and have a copy of just the Stones in the Studio

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Ray... That movie was awesome, and Foxx totally deserved that Oscar.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

While I agree Ray was an excellent movie, I think the only reason it and Jamie Foxx got the oscars were because of Ray's death. I think Hotel Rwanda should have gotten it and Don Cheadle for best actor but I digress

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I was thinking about musical movies last night and remembered "Zechariah the Electric Western". I only saw it once in the early 70s and remember it to be really cool. Then again I was on acid at the time, it might not have been as good as I remember.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Hotel Rwanda was awesome, just saw it a few days ago. However, the only real oscar Ray one was for best oscar...And when I saw that movie, I heard a few people ask "Is that an actor, or is that really ray charles"

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@windowwasher88)

I love Rock Star, and The Doors. Has anyone here seen Barenaked in America? It follows Barenaked Ladies on their US Stunt tour- so funny.

first post- please don't show up at my home with torches and pitchforks.

"I look straight in the mirror and watch it come clearer. I look like a painter behin all the grease. But painting's creating, and I'm just erasing. A crystal clear canvas is my masterpiece." - When I Fall, Barenaked Ladies

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Also I seem to be one of the few people who enjoyed BB2000 - that jam session at the end is incredible!!!!

Vic

You are not alone! I liked it better than the first movie just *because* of that last jam session!

It's like...everyone was there in one place! I usually flip to other stations while the main part of the movie's going and try to get back just for that jam. Incredible. All that musicianship, but what's more, all that stage presence!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

A Mighty Wind is a fun movie. Saw that the other day. Not really laugh-till-you-puke kind of thing like Spinal Tap (at least for me), but it has a bunch of 'moments.'

Although not particularly about music was an ancient 60s flick called...uh, what was it called?

Blow Up.

About this guy with a camera and he sees something in this one particular photo he took. Great cultish type movie.

BUT, I'm not sure (hopefully someone can correct me), but there's this one scene where the main guy's running from the bad guys and he's going in and out of doorways and whatnot and happens to scurry through a discotheque, right past the band onstage and...isn't that Jeff Beck playing guitar? Like a cameo?

Anyhow, that's a flashback if ever there was one.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Oh! What's Love Got To Do With It is pretty down and dirty/gritty.

And I really loved Eddie and the Cruisers when it came out. We had Dark Side on our setlist back then.

The Glenn Miller Story is also great in my opinion. Whenever I happen to catch it, I stop and watch. I love the Buzz Bomb scene.

And, on the subject of music tragedies, La Bamba is another one I watch when it's on.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

The Wedding Singer always cracks me up. The scene where he sings the 'love song' he wrote for his ex, is...outstanding I think.

Did anyone mention The Commitments? Now *that's* a good movie to sit down and watch.

Gimme Shelter I think someone mentioned.

The Kids Are Alright is one of my favorites, all time favorites. That one clip where an interviewer is asking Moonie if he'll just cut the crapolla and 'tell the truth.'

And Moon says, "You...you can't *afford* me..."

Classic.

And then there's That Thing You Do!, which is a good watch if you ever get the chance. Makes me wonder if Hanks was ever a drummer in some long forgotten band?

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Although not particularly about music was an ancient 60s flick called...uh, what was it called?

Blow Up.

About this guy with a camera and he sees something in this one particular photo he took. Great cultish type movie.

BUT, I'm not sure (hopefully someone can correct me), but there's this one scene where the main guy's running from the bad guys and he's going in and out of doorways and whatnot and happens to scurry through a discotheque, right past the band onstage and...isn't that Jeff Beck playing guitar? Like a cameo?

Anyhow, that's a flashback if ever there was one.
You are right Jeff was in Blow UP released in 1966 he was also in all of the following in acting roles:
2003 Red, White & Blues Actor
2001 Rock Icons: Guitar Gods Actor
1992 The Return of Spinal Tap Actor
1991 The A.R.M.S. Concert: Complete Actor
1991 The Pope Must Diet Actor
1989 Lenny Live and Unleashed Actor
1988 Twins Actor
1987 Wall Street Actor
1983 The Arms Concert, Part 1 Actor
1983 The Arms Concert, Part 2 Actor
1982 The Secret Policeman's Other Ball Actor
1966 Blow-Up Actor
VH1: My Generation - Guitar Legends Actor

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Some of my favourites:

1. Hail Hail Rock & Roll

Chuck Berry gives Keith Richards a master class

2. Hell Freezes Over

The Eagles reunion starts with a great acoustic version of Hotel California.

3. Hard Days Night

Need I say more!

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3