Best rock band / Best guitarist

25 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

There's a web site: http://votenumber1.com/

That asks which is the best rock band ever and the best guitarist. They had over 1 million votes worldwide

So here's the band you can vote for:
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
Queen
Aerosmith
Van Halen
ACDC
Rolling Stones
Kiss
Bon Jovi
Beatles

Already eliminated:
The Police
The Who
U2
Black Sabbath
Journey

Votes for the best guitarist begins today. Here's the names:
Carlos Santana
Eddy Van Halen
Jimmy Page
Brian May
Joe Perry
Steve Lukather
Neil Schon
Angus Young
Jimi Hendrix
Kirk Hammett
Alex Lifeson
Richie Sambora
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Tony Iommi

What are YOUR choice? :wink:

Personal comment: Where's David Gilmour? :shock:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Interesting. The Who and U2 are eliminated, but a couple of the ones still listed are still alive. Oh well, personal preference.

Gilmour will never get brought up in any greatest guitarist conversation because he wasn't a lightening fast kind of guy. He's probably in his own category, much like Richards is in his own category for rhythm guitarists. Gilmour is one of my favorites though. I've made a Keith Richards open-G guitar. My next project is a Gilmour guitar. (strat with EMG loaded pick-guard)

One common exclusion from any of these discussions who I really enjoy is Mark Knopfler.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

these lists are always ridicules in that they leave out notable bands, artists, genres, etc but still claim to be a complete list of those somehow deserved of this "honor"
as usual i scoff at the mere idea of such a "vote" and will ignore this one as well.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

AC/DC is also eliminated.

+1 on Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour.
These lists are "as is".

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i went to the forums tied to the site just for amusement and it seemed obvious somebody wants to validate bon jovi/sambora as a "best" whatever.
i agree that they/he are big talents with a lot of success, but imo they don't even belong in the list of those already eliminated.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i went to the forums tied to the site just for amusement and it seemed obvious somebody wants to validate bon jovi/sambora as a "best" whatever.
i agree that they/he are big talents with a lot of success, but imo they don't even belong in the list of those already eliminated.

I heard that the creator of the site was a big fan of Bon Jovi

I am too, but I don't think they're the best...

There's also some people posting on the Bon Jovi website to get more vote, and I think that explains the popularity of Bon Jovi in this poll. The band is 5th now (Queen, Led Zep, Metallica and Aerosmith are in front)

For the best guitarist, there's a TOP 3 right now: Brian May, Steve Lukather and Richie Sambora

I'm a bit surprised by the popularity of Sambora, but he's definatly a great guitarist, probably not the best, but he's my favorite, for many reasons

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I'm a bit surprised by the popularity of Sambora, but he's definatly a great guitarist, probably not the best, but he's my favorite, for many reasons

How exactly would you define 'best'? If you look at music as a way for a musician to 'touch' the audience, one way or the other, then wouldn't your favourite simply be the best, for you? These other guitarist you assume are better (faster, more complex parts?), what does that 'better' mean if it moves you less? This has been debated a lot here, and I still think about it a lot but it just seems that all the things you can 'measure' or compare are ultimately irrelevant. The only important thing is if it moves you in a way, and that is so subjective that there can never be a 'best guitarist'.

Just rambling I guess, but would be nice to see how you think. :)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

[quote="Ignar HillstrømHow exactly would you define 'best'? If you look at music as a way for a musician to 'touch' the audience, one way or the other, then wouldn't your favourite simply be the best, for you?

Yep, couldn't agree more. Ultimately it becomes a question of who gets the most votes, and that will be a product of who knows about the poll.

A few years back, Wholenote dot com ran a greatest guitarist ever poll, and Segovia came out on top. Whether he's better than Mr X is open to debate and always will be.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

How exactly would you define 'best'?

I agree. I know some guys enjoy debating this, and I dont think there is a thing wrong with that, but for me I don't comprehend a way to answer the question. Best athlete? Best sports team? Those things are probably more measurable but an artist and art is kind of based on what moves you and what touches you. If someone can only play a few chords but can do so beautifully then are they better or worse than a shredder that can play so fast you cant see their fingers moving :) I mean, that is my feelings on it but I dont think that those that enjoy comtemplating the "best", by whatever measure you chose, should stop doing it.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How exactly would you define 'best'? If you look at music as a way for a musician to 'touch' the audience, one way or the other, then wouldn't your favourite simply be the best, for you? These other guitarist you assume are better (faster, more complex parts?), what does that 'better' mean if it moves you less? This has been debated a lot here, and I still think about it a lot but it just seems that all the things you can 'measure' or compare are ultimately irrelevant. The only important thing is if it moves you in a way, and that is so subjective that there can never be a 'best guitarist'.

Just rambling I guess, but would be nice to see how you think. :)

I'm agree that "best" is hard to define. And I can't tell you who's the best guitarist for me.

I loves some more than other. Some love Lukather and told me that he was the best... I saw some video on You tube and he's great, but he didn't catch me.

And to answer your question, I don,t think that "faster" means "better". What I like to hear from a guitarist is not 100 notes played in 15 seconds... What I want to hear is something creative and something that comes from their soul. When the guitar is singing / screaming / crying ..

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

my fave won't be your fave, and i'm all right with that.

(but Bon Jovi?! Bon Jovi from New Jersey? as a best for anyone but a 40-y-o "teenage" girl? that requires a reality check: "I am a cowboy. On a steel horse I ride. ..." O-kay! :wink:)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

my fave won't be your fave, and i'm all right with that.

(but Bon Jovi?! Bon Jovi from New Jersey? as a best for anyone but a 40-y-o "teenage" girl? that requires a reality check: "I am a cowboy. On a steel horse I ride. ..." O-kay! :wink:)

Hey, that songs is my favorite from Bon Jovi :wink:

I like the band, but, I think I like Sambora more than the band itself... :roll:

I saw them live and my eyes were always on Richie Sambora. :wink:

I thought it was my own

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Honestly, Steve Lukather?? Are you serious?

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Honestly, Steve Lukather?? Are you serious?

For grins: Lukather, Beck and Santana

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

No Frank Zappa?
No Steve Howe?
No Jeff Beck?
No Ace Freheley?
No John Petrucci?
No Randy Rhodes?
No Allan Holdsworth?
No Duane Allman?
No John Mclaughlin?
No Phil Keaggy?

I'm not saying any of the above should win, but all of the above should get votes in this sort of exercise, as each of them has made significant contributions to the rock guitar genre.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2