Clear all

Chris Thile - BBC best musician of 2007

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hey I was just wondering what some of you thought of Chris Thile. In my opinion he is the future of music and I hope that the acoustic movement keeps happening and more popular musicians will aspire to write quality music like he does.

If you've never heard him check this out

"Song For a Young Queen" There is an incredible guitar solo towards the end so Id watch the whole thing if I were you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYyjw6cudHo&mode=related&search=

Some Bach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu-62qWjaHw

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

very beautiful music indeed. I don't see this as the future of music though, it sounds too much like classical, or folk music for it to hit big on the music scene I think.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

That is the mandolin player from nickel creek, hes already won some ridiculous number of grammys and sold over 10 million CDS. That is his new band though.

I think contemporary classical music/newgrass is the best way to describe it. But a lot of average joe's actually like listening to this guy.

A song off his newest CD "How to grow a Woman From the Ground" was just nominated for 2007 best instrumental grammy actually.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

I'm a fan. I have really enjoyed the Nickel Creel "Why Should the Fire Die" CD.
The Bach piece is reminicent, at least to me, of the Bela Fleck Perpetual Motion CD.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ya I have Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer "Music For Two" also, it is pretty cool stuff.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

Ya I have Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer "Music For Two" also, it is pretty cool stuff.

That one is on my wish list.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

If you really want to hear a great CD that showcases Chris Thile's Compositional skills check out "Not all Who Wander Are Lost" It is 12 instrumentals with a backup band consisting of Jerry Douglas, Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck (and his sax player), Stuart Duncan, David Grier, Byron House, and Sean and Sara Watkins. It is really great stuff, and other than the one duet with Bela Fleck which was a collaboration, the whole thing is written by Chris Thile.

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

BBC just named Chris Thile the best musician of 2007, the only american on the awards as well!

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If you really want to hear a great CD that showcases Chris Thile's Compositional skills check out "Not all Who Wander Are Lost"

I was just listening to clips of that album, after watching the "Song for a Young Queen" vid a few dozen times. Gets better every time! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

did Nickel creek have the video where they were stomping around in water?

If that was him then, yes the boy can play...but I don't if it ever be mainstream to anyone outside the country genre.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

did Nickel creek have the video where they were stomping around in water?

If that was him then, yes the boy can play...but I don't if it ever be mainstream to anyone outside the country genre.

Well obviouisly you've never heard his 45 minute 4 movement symphonic masterpiece for 5 piece bluegrass band and voice "The Blind Leaving the Blind." His music and his fanbase are mostly outside of bluegrass, and certainly outside of country.

Here is a sweet classical video with the greatest double bass player alive! The ending of this is pretty incredible, shows off the classical perfection they've acheived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6JBFnhPIAU

-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote