Clear all

Cort G200

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Can't believe I typed out a post, then hit the preview, kids screaming they were hungry, and I closed out firefox before I posted the lengthy post! LOL.

Well, a shortened version then with 2 questions....

Wifey showed me my Christmas present last night (get your thoughts out of there, it had nothing to do with that...:D) She bought me an electric guitar. I had the feeling she had bought me the old Target Starcaster, but she spent a lot of time hunting down the music stores in town. She told the guy I wanted something that starts with an "S", LOL. I know I've mentioned Squier and Strat to her, she just couldn't remember what it was. She told him about the Target guitar and the guy pulled something down stating it was 500 times better than that Target junk.

So, it turns out it is a Cort G200. Basswood body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard (I think), 3 single coils, 5 way switch and only two knobs for tone and volume. The box says "Jay Turser" on it, but I am now thinking that was just the box he grabbed to pack it up. She got a cord, said he gave her a big bag full of various size and weight of picks, strap, and a soft bag for $200. No amp yet (that's the 2nd question later).

Wifey is looking for confirmation that she got a half decent guitar for the price. It's dang pretty with the sunburst color, which after she said I was 37, the guy told her "all the older guys like this color", LOL. I only looked at it briefly last night as she is worried about what she got because she was told all sales were final and it can't be returned (that sounds strange to me.)

Looking for some opinions from you experts here that I am familiar with. I did look up reviews and at Ultimate-Guitar.com the reviews looked pretty good for an inexpensive guitar (overall rating of 8.3.) But I don't always trust ratings because a lot of times it is just kids posting stuff up (ratings for the Starcaster at Target on the site are excellent as well, proving the point of not trusting reviews.)

Second question...

She didn't have the cash left at that time for an amp, so she told me it is up to me to get an amp. I know nothing about amps. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money or get something too big. It's just for me to noodle around on in the house by myself. I guess maybe I am looking for a "practice" size amp. She said she was going to get one and said it was "yeah big" while expressing the size with her hands, LOL. It was $100 and she just didn't have the cash at the time. So, I looked around on the GuitarCenter site and selected a few to post for opinions here. Remember, I have no knowledge of amps.

Fender Frontman 15G: $70 - This is just the first one I clicked on with a rating of 4 stars or better.
Behringer V-Tone GM108 15W: 60 - Looked at this on with a 5 star rating on the GC site.
Line 6 Spider IV 15 15W: $100 - I just clicked this on seeing it on the main page of the amp section on the GC site.

The first two I checked out is because spending less than $100 right now would be a bonus. Then I clicked on the $100 one on the main page. I'm wondering first, what kind of wattage I would need for just playing around the house. I'm not looking to shatter the windows or anything, I was thinking 15W is just fine with my lack of knowledge (I'm more use to and knowledgable in 1000W sound systems in cars rather than electric guitar amps.) That said, I definitely want something with headphone output so only I could hear it when the kids/wifey is sleeping (I'm up on the weekends sometimes until 3 or 4 am.) I also see many other $99 amps listed, so I'm wondering if any of them would be a much better deal.

Looking for some valued opinions of you folks here. Appreciate the thoughts and thanks in advanced.

BTW, the music I am interested in is the more slow bluesy stuff, but that doesn't mean I don't like rock. I would be least interested in a ton of distortion, but some mild distortion (think Clapton). My favorite and what I want to play would be like David Gilmour's slow stuff with a lot of bending, vibrato, and sustaining.

(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Could you post some pictures of the guitar ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats on the new guitar. I have never heard anything negative about Cort guitars. I have heard they do make other brands for other companies so they have a lot of experience in making quality guitars if that is true.

Enjoy your new present!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote