Clear all

Could use the help of some fresh ears here

19 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

As some of you know I've been quite busy for the past year or so writing and recording songs for my very first own album. And while I'm obviously still a beginner, by any definition of the word, at writing, performing and recording music I do take it quite seriously. Some early versions of the songs were posted on GN already but pretty much all of them have been changed, edited, re-recorded and re-mixed, so the soundclick samples are by no means any indication of how it actually sounds.

Now the problem is that after re-working each song for hours on end I'm starting to notice my ears are getting tired in a way, and I find it getting increasingly harder to properly hear whats wrong and whats correct in each mix. Which is why I'm looking for some people who are actually interested in the final album and have the time to help me out by listening to the songs and giving feedback.

So what kind of album is it? As lame as it sounds, it is 'a mix of various styles'. From solo piano pieces to 100% electronical music the diversity if pretty darn big, and actually a key part of the album. Everyone will find plenty to dislike but with some luck everyone will find atleast one song they'll like as well. To state the obvious, the more specific your own taste is the less you'll like this album.

What's going to happen once it's all done? When I'm happy with how it all sounds it will be availlable for download to everyone. It's about as non-commercial as it could technically get so don't bother asking what's in it for you if you would help me finish it all up: there's no glory, fame, money or slaves to be won for anyone, just a tiny album to be made.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. And if you think you would like to give some of your time to help me out then drop me a PM. Note there is no strict time schedule or anything involved. Although some parts are entirely done, other parts of the album need some more work and it could be up to two months before the first version of the entire album is done. In the meantime there will be enough individual tracks ready to be heared until the entire album is done and each track can be heared in it's context.

If you've gotten till here, thanks! It's all just a little project of mine but I do take it seriously and I want to make it is good as I possibly can, at this time. Any help would be much appreciated!

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Arjen i can certainly understand what you are going through.I hope your efforts give you the best of results.

Good Luck :)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Arjen - this is why you have a person like a producer. Someone to say "That's great!" and stop you from doing one more take.

That said, getting many different people to listen is a good idea, and I'd be glad to participate.

Umm, is it in English?

Laz

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I'd love to help as well Arjen, after all the help you've given me with my recordings.

How do I go about hearing these tracks/providing the feedback/ etc?

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Rahul: Thanks. I'm sure I'll get the best possible results, I'm just not sure how good that will actually be. ;)

Laz: Having an experienced producer would be very handy but it would probably also be way too expensive. Most songs are instrumental but 99% of all lyrics is English, and the final 1% doesn't require you to understand what is being said to get the message across. I hope.

Thanks for helping out, I'll drop a PM as soon as I'm confident it won't damage your ears too much. ;)

Taso: Cool, glad to have you along. I'll probably be uploading it all and sending you guys the link. I'll work out the details of how we should do this and let you all know.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

I'd be glad to help as well Arjen, although I'll warn you upfront it takes ages for me to download things. If you don't mind my being slow and taking it one song at a time, I'd be glad to chip in my two cents.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks David, much appreciated. I'm not fighting any deadlines or anything and every bit of help you can give is definitely welcome. :)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'd be glad to help as well Arjen, although I'll warn you upfront it takes ages for me to download things. If you don't mind my being slow and taking it one song at a time, I'd be glad to chip in my two cents.

Peace

When he makes it available, I can burn you a CDROM and mail it to you ... if such "blatant piracy" is okay by Arjen. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

Provide the samples and you have my fresh ears... Love to help...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I look forward to listening!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And me too now.Yes , we all want to hear you out and lend our ears !

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

just a thought why not just post samples here for everyone to to hear ?

Or would be inviting someone to rip you off I don't know just a suggestion ?

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hilch: I had actually hoped I could find atleast one person kind enough to help me, hadn't thought a whole bunch of people would have the time and interest. I might actually just dump it all here with a big fat warning thats still work under construction. Not scared at all about being ripped off, this album has zero financial value as far as I can see. And even if someone would try it, who cares? I own the rights to the originals and they will be online for as long as there is internet. Good luck making money out of stealing a free song made by a beginner musician. :D

Greg: I know you were kidding, but to say something about that: I will register the final album in Holland for completeness sake but I couldn't really care less what people then do with it. I've got the cover and backside designed and if people feel it is worth the 40 cents to buy an empty cd and burn themselves an album then great. If all works out it comes with a digital songbook containing the sheet music to all instruments on all tracks and if people want to check out what's exactly going on or feel like 'borrowing' a theme or riff: be my guest.

Everyone: thanks for the help offered so far! I'll be away from the net, as usual, during the week but will come back next weekend, hopefully with the first few entirely finished tracks. Have a nice week!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Hey Arjen. You sent me a song one day, "Daddy's Girl" I think. Anyway, I really enjoyed it, thought it was wonderful. I'm not sure what your other songs are like, but it they are similar at all to that one, then I think congratulations are in order. Keep up the good work.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks man, it's a song from the band I'm in and I'll make sure to tell them what you said! It's pretty hard to compare these tracks to the songs from the band but I'll hope people'll like them nevertheless. We'll see. :)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2