Fender or Gibson?

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Fender or Gibson and why?

Im asking b/c IMO those are the two best guitar companies...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It all depends on one's criteria. But generally considered, IMO these companies are not making the best guitars available. And even if they were, it's a personal sound and playability choice. They produce very different sounding and playing instruments.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Point taken gnease. Which brand of guitar do you find better? Gibsons (depending on the model) usually sound a bit more twangy than Fenders to me. And, their neck pickups always sound...a bit nasal (for lack of a better word). They are also heavier and the shape of a tele or strat just seems to fit me better. I also like 21 fret guitars better than 24 fretters for some dumb reason.

Oh well, I guess its a bit of a lame post. I was just wondering what you guys prefered.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Gibson is generally very expensive , so if price was a criteria , certainly fender.

But then going on sound -

Gibson for Greenday , Guns n roses , B B king etc

Fender for blues , grunge and playing it clean !

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I do love Les Pauls, and own a Epi LP, (can't afford the Giby!), but I'd have to vote for Fender. A company who invented the Telecaster, and Stratocaster, and helped change music as we know it, gets my vote!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Fenders for me all the way ! (i love teles)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I own a Tele, strat and a LP. I will have to say that I'm undecided. It depends on the mood. Both of my amps are Fender, so I've gone down that path at least. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i have to go with gibson. i love lp's

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

Fender - becuase I have one... Although, I've been getting into BB King lately and think I need a "Lucille" of my own...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Strat, SG, Brian Moore and a junker Ovation Ultra GS III

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

LuvGilmour: Lancaster, eh? I used to go to school in Elizabethtown for 4 years before i moved back to philly. my girlfriend still lives in that area...for now. do you actually live in lancaster city?

no to address the post...i always thought i'd be a gibson guy, from gibsons ive played in the store and the fact that i owned a double humbucker guitar and liked the tone. then i found myself with a wonderful fender strat, and ive gotta say the fender single coil goodness has made me forget all about les pauls. now i want a wonderful black tele. mmmm, fenders...

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Agile.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

LuvGilmour: Lancaster, eh? I used to go to school in Elizabethtown for 4 years before i moved back to philly. my girlfriend still lives in that area...for now. do you actually live in lancaster city?

I live about 15 minutes north of the city... I'm about 20 minutes away from Etown...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I can really dig a Gibson ES335 but equally like a good Fender strat. But if I had the money I'd probably go with another brand, Yamaha and G&L make awesome high-end strats, Dean has incredible gibsonesque models like the EVO and Hardtail lines.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Had to go with Gibson because I play a Flying V Faded. That and I haven't tryed any Fenders yet.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2