Notifications
Clear all

Da Vinci Code

46 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

True, Arjen, but hey - you've got to have a bad guy!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@evolution)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

"Clancy's books are superbly written, the attention to detail is astonishing..."

Although his 'American super-hero VS communistic-muslim-bio-terrorist-with-beard plots can get a bit overdone. ;)

I agree with you on Clancy. He always use the same basis for the couple of books I've read of his. The only one I like was the first one which was the Hunt for Red October. After all the books became oddly fimiliar to me. The main character always seemed same to be a very good American citizen who had served his country well in the military.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i find conan doyle's sherlock holmes incomparable.i wish to visit london someday solely because of the sherlockian museum at 221 b , baker street.....

vic , you must have seen it , haven't u (or infact anyone living in uk :wink:)

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I'm really excited about the movie coming out. I read the book about a year and a half ago, and thought it was great. Not the kind of book I usually read, but I liked it either way.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

For what it's worth, I went to the same high school as Dan Brown (several years apart), and it's fun to see the names of various teachers put into his novels; the similarities are intentional.

I have to agree with gnease and others that Brown's style is not overly advanced. Most of the books have some decent research and reasonable extrapolations, but there is usually one point (or more) where he has to use something really implausible to get around the plot traps.

For me, Clavell and Michener set the standard for historically-based adventures, long winded as they might be.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Agree with you re Michener, Laz - I love the way he mixes reality and fiction - long winded, but worth it....

Never seen the Sherlock Holmes Museum, but I'm sure it's worth a visit...last time I was in London was July 17th, ten days after the bombings....we were absolutely exhausted, having been travelling for what seemed like a week, including a 12 hour unscheduled stopover in Minneapolis Airport...last leg of journey, got on the coach, as it pulled into Oxford St, we were ordered off the coach by a policeman....bomb scare....I have NO plans to visit London in the near future (unless, of course, Liverpool FC or St Helens RLFC happen to be playing in a cup final at Wembley....or Lancashire in a cup final at Lord's....)

One of these days, I'm going to have to pay a visit to the library and re-read Sherlock Holmes - it's been a few years!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

Yeah, Tom hanks! Can't miss with Tom Hanks.

(coughs) Polar Express!

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i liked Polar Express...fun movie.

Neil Gaiman is amazing. American Gods is one perhaps my favorite book ever. IMO it's just great.

I do enjoy Dan Brown's books and i look forward to the movie and new books by him. But i think his books are just entertainment without much substance. It's like movies, you have to have a willing suspension of disbelief in order to ignore any outlandish claims and plot holes. It's one of those books you read just to enjoy it and not really think about it again.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

i liked Polar Express...fun movie.

Neil Gaiman is amazing. American Gods is one perhaps my favorite book ever. IMO it's just great.

I do enjoy Dan Brown's books and i look forward to the movie and new books by him. But i think his books are just entertainment without much substance. It's like movies, you have to have a willing suspension of disbelief in order to ignore any outlandish claims and plot holes. It's one of those books you read just to enjoy it and not really think about it again.

Imagine American Gods as a movie ... but then again, might just ruin it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

For incredible historical fiction try George McDonald Fraser and the Flashman series.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Didn't Gaiman and Pratchett write that story about devils and angels where every car plays a song by Queen? Ah, found it: "Good Omens" Nice satire.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

For a really funny music-related read, try "Soul Music" by Terry Pratchett.....

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Prefer my Pratchett mixed with Gaiman ... the overall "product" gains a little more subtlety.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

Here's the thing about dan brown...

Angels and Demons- Awesome
The DaVinci Code- Awesome
All his other work- Sucks

I guess he found his niche.

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Here's the thing about dan brown...

Angels and Demons- Awesome
The DaVinci Code- Awesome
All his other work- Sucks

I guess he found his niche.

I'm still waiting for him to have a story line that lasts at least a week...

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4