Clear all

Da Vinci Code

46 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@evolution)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Did anybody read this book? If you haven't go read it now. Anyways their making this into a movie and the first trailer just came out. This movie is on my must see for 2006.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/thedavincicode/

I hope this film does justice to an awesome book. 8)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Awesome book. I think I listened to it about 5 times so far. Looking forward to the movie now.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Awesome book. I think I listened to it about 5 times so far. Looking forward to the movie now.

lol, i'm about 1/2 way thru the cds now.

i heard T. Hanks is going to star in the film,
if interested in this type of thing i highly suggest the book "Holy Blood Holy Grail"

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, Tom hanks! Can't miss with Tom Hanks.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Someone's going to say it -- may as well be me: I hope the screenplay is better than the book. The premises were sort of interesting, but Brown is a bit of a hack. You want good conspiracy theory writing? Check out Umberto Eco.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Someone's going to say it -- may as well be me: I hope the screenplay is better than the book. The premises were sort of interesting, but Brown is a bit of a hack. You want good conspiracy theory writing? Check out Umberto Eco.
Really??? What is it you found lacking in Brown's writing, gnease? I read the DaVinci Code, Digital Fortress, Angels & Demons, and Deception Point. I thought he was quite good. I enjoyed him much more than Tom Clancy.

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Umberto Eco is unbelievable.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Really??? What is it you found lacking in Brown's writing, gnease? I read the DaVinci Code, Digital Fortress, Angels & Demons, and Deception Point. I thought he was quite good. I enjoyed him much more than Tom Clancy.

If you read Eco you'll see the differences immediately.

Brown stretches his premise a bit too far beyond the believable. Eco stops just at the outer edge.

Of course, I'm a bit biased I had a chance to study with Eco :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've read so much better than Brown. His prose and plot development seem very pedestrian. He sits pretty squarely in among likes of Crichton and Grissom. None of them are great authors -- somewhat entertaining, but not anywhere near the best of their genres. If you like Dan Brown's books, try these:

An Instance of the Fingerpost -- Iain Pears
The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum -- Umberto Eco (Foucault's is the ultimate conspiracy book)

Iain Pears also writes a "pulpy" series known as the "Art History Mysteries." Not his best, but quick and entertaining in a Dan Brown way.

Others, not quite in the same vein, but the good stuff:

Perfume -- Patrick Suskind
The Corrections and Strong Motion Jonathan Franzen
Cryptonomicon -- Neal Stephenson

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

Well, I've read better than Brown too, but I did enjoy his books. I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed "Cryptonomicon" and "Snow Crash" by Stephenson. But I would put Brown in a very different class than Crichton.

gnease,... thanks for the pointers, I'm always on the lookout for a good read. For whatever reason, the only thing I've read by Eco was an essay called "The Cliche's are having a ball" ... about the movie "Casablanca", which I thought was well-written. But I'll have to give that "Foucalt's Pendulum" a try.

Thanks

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've liked most of Stephenson's books. A book better be good if one is going to name the main character "Hiro Protagonist." Diamond Age is a bit of fun, as well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I've enjoyed all of Dan Brown's books and will probably buy new ones as they appear...somehow, I can't see Hanks as the hero though....

At the moment, I'm enjoying a series of books by Lee Child....he's written eight so far, I have one yet to read....

Clancy's books are superbly written, the attention to detail is astonishing...ditto Frederick Forsyth, although somehow his later books failed to translate to the screen, The Fourth Protocol was rubbish and as for Icon - a superb novel, but the only similarity between the novel and the screenplay is the title....

Also currently catching up on Tom Holt - file under (very!) humourous fantasy, in the same bracket as Terry Pratchett but darker....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

It is in my dad's huge library of books.....:wink:.Now i only hav to go and read it.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Also currently catching up on Tom Holt - file under (very!) humourous fantasy, in the same bracket as Terry Pratchett but darker....

:D :D :D

Vic

You might like Neil Gaiman -- he's even collaborated with Pratchett. And way back there was this guy by the name of John Myers Myers (not a typo, that's twice). He wrote a book called "Silverlock" that might work for you.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

"Clancy's books are superbly written, the attention to detail is astonishing..."

Although his 'American super-hero VS communistic-muslim-bio-terrorist-with-beard plots can get a bit overdone. ;)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4