Did you like the Co...

Notifications
Clear all

Did you like the Coffee House?

31 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

One possible solution if you ever wanted to bring it back would be to use the "groups" feature in phpBB...either when someone shows they can "handle" using such a forum you can assign them to the group with access to that forum. Or you could base it on the number of posts...say 1000...that way you kind of get an idea on the type of person they are and can always restrict them from the forum...

Just a thought..

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

One possible solution if you ever wanted to bring it back would be to use the "groups" feature in phpBB...either when someone shows they can "handle" using such a forum you can assign them to the group with access to that forum. Or you could base it on the number of posts...say 1000...that way you kind of get an idea on the type of person they are and can always restrict them from the forum...

Just a thought..

I thought that was a great idea when nils brought it up...I wonder if people would REALLY use them, though?

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

If it's not an area that the admins want to go in, then that's it, eh?

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You are missing the point.

In order for it to work, I see it as un-moderated by necessity. It's either open or not. We can't draw one line for behavior in one section and one for another and then moderate both.

So the answer is there will be no unmoderated forum here on guitarnoise, and an open forum requires that it has no moderation.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I see what you are saying, but at the same time, I don't. I don't see why it can't be moderated. The only moderation that would really be needed is that no personal attacks were made, name calling, etc, and no foul language, that sort of thing.

If I'm becoming annoying, it's unintentional, tell me to shut up and I will with no problem, it's not a big deal to me.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I think the point is that it has been determined that free-form forum probably requires inordinately more moderation than do the guitar-related fora. Unfortunately, I hear the budget to pay the moderators is fixed ... to a very small number.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

haha..

Well yeah, like I said, many people here already offered to help moderate the coffee house.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

The people that offered were the ones that were partaking and trying to expand. How do you go from there?

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I understand that it dows not match the direction that GN wants. When you look at the whole scheme and big picture and understand their points, it makes sense.

A true open forum? I don't think I would enjoy that. People can sometimes be ........ people. Banter is one thing, but people can get beligerent. I would not want that on my site, if I had one.

Lastly, I thought the Coffee House was great. I really enjoyed it. The good thing, it looks like Opinions & Polls is close.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

I feel my post initial post on Political correctness has staarted all this discussion and the closure of the Coffe House , I would like to this oppitunity to state that ..

1/ It was never meant to discriminate

2/ Religion was never the intent

3/ Politics I would not give any of them the time of day .. start a discussion about poilitics I don't think so...

4/ It was only ever meant to be a bit of banter among those who visited the room .

5/ The adult theme on the post filtered through towards the end .. Not my doing ....

6/ BANTER thats all nothing serious ( ask Vic how much banter we do with each other ) ?????????

I am sincere when I say sorry if my ORIGINAL post offended anyone

but please can we move on ?

it's gone much to the disgust of lots of us but it's gone

Life is far too short to argue if it should be here or not the BOSS has made his decision lets move on people ...

The ol fart
L.K

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i'm fine with things the way they are.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Lotto King,
For the record, the PC thread did not lead to closing the coffee house. You have nothing to apologize for. It was closed for other reasons.

Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It wasn't that at all LK. Your post was right on target for an open forum. It did allow us to see what was going to be bandied about in the Coffee House though. It was the nature of the forum, not the content, that made the choice for us.

I tell you something "good" happened out of it. I'll edit the offending post and lock things now instead of just moving them to Electric Ladyland. I didn't know how that was perceived. Now that I do I'll be a bit more careful.

And let me point out once again that the number of moderators makes no difference. If the forum is open it needs to be able to withstand a heated debate. You can't moderate that out without cheapening the forum.

BTW, Was that a cheap shot, "BOSS"? If so it doesn't help.

We made a decision, many moderators, owner and managing editor.

We try new things fairly frequently, some stay, some will go. That is the nature of Guitarnoise.

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

No Nick the term BOSS was only a term to just get everyone to move on

I am very saddened that the C'House is closed but I just want to move on it's not here nothing I myself can do about , so lets just get back to music , like teaching beginners , replying to songs , encouraging the younger members when things get tough ...I enjoy a little banter with other GN members but nothing is ever taken seriously ...

Please can we just get over it .......

it's GONE .....

PS

I only said sorry because every where I look my original post on P'C gets a mention thats all .. I assumed the topic was out of line with the rules ..

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi all,

I enjoyed the Coffee House. I think that a good Off Topic section can sometimes support a forum rather than diminish it. But I've seen examples of it going both ways – some really excellent ones that help keep the regulars returning, and others that were full of complete trash, and lowered the tone of the place. :shock:

The bottom line is that whoever runs the show gets to choose the program.

I've run my own businesses for nearly 30 years, and I'm a great believer in everybody having the chance to put forward their ideas and opinions. But ultimately if a situation arises where there's more than one option, and no clear consensus, then the final decision goes to whoever runs the show (Me in that case :twisted: ).

So the people who put the work in here are the ones who have the casting vote. Seems fair to me. I liked the CH, but I wasn't the one having to run it, so I shall drink a toast (in coffee of course….) and get back to chat about music… 8)

Cheers Chris

PS. I've just had this great idea for a section called Tea House..... ducks... :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3