Clear all

Dream Shopping

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've been thinking of opening a savings account and throwing whatever I can out of every paycheck into it to create sort of a guitar fund. Then when I'm ready, get something nice. What I was thinking of investing it in was one of these:

http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=16&P_ID=16570&PT_ID=27

It's about $700.00 + taxes so it may take a few months, if not more. Just wondering if anyone had any comments on this particular model, the PRS SE line, or PRS in general. Try before you buy is a given but want to know if it would be worth the investment.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Well, that's a cool idea. A Guitar Fund.

Hope it is not taxable. Infact, we ought to receive Guitar Fund Subsidy from the Govt. to finance our purchases.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

PRS is a fine make. I like your idea of a savings account.
I have always wanted to do that. I had an account once, but it never stood a chance. there was always some household emergency and the funds were tapped. like having to buy a new furnace one year, a new water heater the next.
it is impossible.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Just wondering if anyone had any comments on this particular model, the PRS SE line, or PRS in general.

I believe this one has a different neck profile than most (or all) of the others in the SE line. Usually they are "wide fat" as PRS calls them; this one is "wide thin." If it's the same as what they use on some of their standard (non-SE) line, it should be very comfortable - not as thin as an Ibanez "wizard" style, but definitely thinner than their regular neck.

Nice to see 24 frets in the 25" scale. I think this is the only SE model with 24.

Too bad about the bats. :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I've never played one, but after checking out the specs on it a few things concern me.

Mainly, its designed by Paul Allender, who is the guitarist of Cradle of Filth. I'm not saying hes not a talented guitarist or anything, just that CoF have a very intense sound. I imagine the tone from pickups designed for him would be kinda one sided. Now this could be a invalid point, because like I said, I've never played it, but I heard enough CoF in my life to understand the kind of tone the guitar that this guitar would probably be designed to make. So my concern would be it's versatility.

Also, a small point. For that price, I would expect the guitar to come with a nice hardshell case, but the specs says its comes with a gig bag. That seems a bit off to me.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, that's a cool idea. A Guitar Fund.

Hope it is not taxable. Infact, we ought to receive Guitar Fund Subsidy from the Govt. to finance our purchases.

Funny you mention that. We have been trying to get some of the taxes on instruments waived. Mostly it's because parents who have kids who want to take lessons find it expensive. However, if they help us out that way, I could see low end acoustics and possibly entry level electrics being the ones eligible. Doubt this PRS would be, unless lots of kids start taking lessons with them.
Mainly, its designed by Paul Allender, who is the guitarist of Cradle of Filth. I'm not saying hes not a talented guitarist or anything, just that CoF have a very intense sound. I imagine the tone from pickups designed for him would be kinda one sided. Now this could be a invalid point, because like I said, I've never played it, but I heard enough CoF in my life to understand the kind of tone the guitar that this guitar would probably be designed to make. So my concern would be it's versatility.

It's something I'm wondering as well. I have a review of it in a Magazine which says with a touch of gain it has a "P90 essence." Never having used P90's, I have no idea what that means. It also mentions that it can get to "speaker-destroying gain levels" which I'm assuming is more on the lines of Cradle of Filth. Not sure as I'm not a fan of them. If I were, I wouldn't buy this guitar because I'd look at it and only be able to play Cradle of Filth on it. Versatility is an issue for me, I'd like some that could handle anything (blues excluded) both in style and sound.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote