Drum Set Help!!!!!

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone.

Me and my dad have been recording latley, and we've been using this small "first act" drum set. :roll:
Its horrible. Anyway, we decided we have to upgrade and get a real set to record with. So we went down to our local music store and saw this full set up on the stage. It was a Mapex QR Series Set, but it was complete. Mapex throne, Crash Cymbal, Hi-hat cymbals, all hardware, and really high quality 5- year mapex foot pedals for the bass drum/hi hat. It was beautiful. Brand new, and complete with EVERYTHING we needed. After taking a look in a catalog of mapex's sets, we just decided to go through with there layaway plan. They wanted 750$ after tax out the door for the entire kit. Its 550$ online, but online it doesnt come with throne, cymbals, ect. So we put 50$ down on the set to "hold it".

Recently however, since that set is on hold we've been looking around at others just being curious. Our new Musicians Friend March Catalog came today, and on the main cover is a Pearl Forum 5 Peice Drum set, with cymbals, throne, sticks, and a set-up DVD. Pearl is a much better name then mapex to me and my dad. :mrgreen: After taking a look at the price, we were shocked! Only 659$???? Why so low for a pearl?? It says it comes complete and ready to go, in many different color options, it looks NICE! It even includes a FREE tom! So technically its a 6 peice drum set from pearl for almost 100$ less then the mapex! Any ideas why this pearl is so cheap?? What do you guys reccomend buying more the mapex or the pearl set? The pearl seems to be brand new, and doesnt have any reviews, so does the mapex. Neither set has any reviews that I can find really. So I know this is a guitar forum, but I know some of you gu-ru's have some sets out there!

Help us out, and give us a little insight upon which set is a good honest purchase over the other one.

Mapex QR Series, with cymbals, throne, sticks, and hardware included for 750$??
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mapex-QR-Standard-Custom-Wrap-Drum-Set?sku=490289

or

Pearl Forum 5-Peice with Free Tom included, crash cymbal, throne, sticks, dvd
http://www.music123.com/Pearl-Forum-5-Piece-Drum-Set-With-Free-10--Tom-490841-i1372026.Music123

Any opinions??

Let me know what you all think, we've gotta get that mapex off layaway if the pearl is the better choice.

Thanks

-Josh

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OUCH! I just realized the "no off topics" sticky in the opinions forum!!! Its news to me that its meant to STAY a guitar forum. I do apologize for not reading before posting. :oops:

If you want to delete this post you can, but if you can keep it up til I can get an answer that would be nice thanks!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, so how long do you think it would take to get some more???

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I can always order it from another store. ZZ sounds, or w/e, thats not my question Im having trouble debating between the pearl and the mapex, and why the pearl is so cheap for everything it comes with!

I still need help deciding!!!

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

May I offer some advice?

Mapex QR series or VR are their base level kits. I don't have any experience with them personally but I've found that at any price range you will have a better quality kit with a Mapex. I've owned 2 so far, still have one and wish I'd kept the other.

Mapex quality including hardware is second to none in similar categories. Plus Mapex will give you a lifetime warranty on the shells. No one else will do that. They also 8 coat laquer every drum they make whether it's the 500 dollar kit or the $4000 kit. If you aren't on a strict budget, the best kit for the money is the MBirch. (My first Mapex kit)

The hardware that is supplied also is gig quality, regardless of if you gig or not. I also would not buy a set of cymbals or a throne that was packaged. You can do as well or better buying separate and have nicer equipment.

Buy the Mapex drums and get that situation out of the way. If you want cymbals that you can hit, and have a decent sound, find a set of Wuhan "S" series cymbals in a pack. You can get hats, crash, ride and sometimes a free splash. And if you plan to sit for any length of time behind the kit, invest the dough and purchase a tractor style RocnSoc throne. You will use it everywhere. Even when playing guitar.

If you want any more specific information or need more questions answered, please feel free to let me know. But trust me, the Mapex kit is the best deal and will sound the best of all the kits in that price range.

Lastly, they have the best customer service of any drum manufacturer around.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote