Clear all

Dylan "No Direction Home" PBS

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@robbie)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Just a heads up for you Dylan Fans that haven't seen this documentary by Scorcese 2005 Part one of two airs tonight on PBS at 8:00 PM. Hopes it's good,enjoy
Robbie

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

9PM EST re-airs at 2:30AM EST

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I saw it 4 hours ago....9pm, BST....on BBC2....part 2 is tomorrow, same time....some fabulous old clips there, not just Bob, but Joan Baez, Howling Wolf, Hank Williams Snr, Pete Seeger....amongst others....

Fabulous documentary!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

Yeah it was pretty well done. Lots of footage where Dylan is apparently talking to someone who isn't there....... :wink:

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I loved the press footage!

"How many artists do ou think are involved in the revolution?" (Or something like that... :? )

Bob: "Oh, about 136."

"What do you mean? About 136 or exactly 136?"

"About 136." "Either that or 142.." :lol:

Don't think I got it word for for word, but it was hillarious!

Great documentary too... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@samhall)

Good show I thought. I'm not a big Dylan fan, but I am a big fan of The Band. I tried to watch Dylan's acoustic playing closely and I never saw a barre chord. Lots of capo use, but open chord shapes. Maybe there is hope for all of us who find barre chords a challenge.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Well spotted - I noticed that too. Joan Baez played a mean barre though.

What I loved about the footage of Dylan pre accident, was his mastery of playing bass / strum patterns repetitively - he really seemed totally in control of the guitar. Plenty of use of subtle little chords shapes and dropped D tuning, and I loved his use of the bass strings, really fantastic to watch.

I loved the whole thing, thought it was fantastic.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Auntie Beeb (The BBC) is being particularly kind to us Brits at the moment...following on from the Scorsese documentary, last night we got "Don't Look Back"...Pennebaker's excellent documentary of the '65 British tour...followed by "Dylan's Legends"... a look at the lives of three people who Dylan wrote songs about....Rubin Carter, Woody Guthrie and Lenny Bruce.....

Hmmm....wonder what's on tonight?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Had a look at the TV magazine...

BBC4, 11.45 to 12.40, "Highway 61 Revisited".....that's tonight (thursday)...

and tomorrow, Friday, we've got "Talking Bob Dylan Blues: A Tribute Concert"...a celebration of the poetic musician's songs...well that's what it says in the TV guide....8.30 to 10.30pm....

So thanks, Auntie Beeb...almost makes up for 20 years of Eastenders....

:D :D :D

Vic

ReplyQuote