Clear all

Emotional Decision - Update

19 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so I bought the Classic Players 60s Strat. Beautiful guitar, loved it until I got it home and tuned it only to discover that the neck is underbowed. Wes suggested a truss rod adjustment, but the screw for the adjustment is at the heel of the neck instead of being just under the nut at the top of the neck. The issue here is the while the screw is somewhat visible at the edge of the pickguard, it can't be accessed cleanly. Everything that I have read (maybe I read too much) about this situation says that the best way to make this adjustment is to remove the neck. Now, this is definitely out of my reach technically so it looks like a trip to a good guitar tech. I called the sales guy at GC and he said to bring it in and he'll look at it, but I am somewhat wary of what he will be able to do without the above recommended procedure.

Here is where the emotional decision comes in. I understand that a good tech should be able to remedy the problem, but I guess I am somewhat dismayed that after spending $600 plus, I am going to have to lay out some more cash, which is kind of tight after the purchase. When I was looking at the guitars, there were a few that made it to the final test run. One was the JV Strat which will also cost me more money (about $100). Then there was a natural MIM Strat that was really in the front running until I found this one. I am very tempted to return the 60s Strat and exchange it for the one that was my initial first choice. While the 60s Strat is very nice, it didn't have that initial vibe that the other guitar did. But, I decided for the money, the 60s one was the way to go.

Am I obsessing too much about this? What would you do?

BTW, thanks for listening to my mini-rant.

Jim

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Get the one you want. $100 isn't worth that nagging feelin' you'll have every time you pick up this guitar, knowing you really wanted something else. Suppose it'll last you ten years, that means you'll be paying less then a buck each month to get what you really want. That's half a beer less a month. Add a newyears resolution that you'll cut down on your beer-consumption and the guitar is just a reward for looking after your health. Call it Karma and bless your soul. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Conversely, a $600 guitar should have a proper neck. GC should make the adjustment for no charge.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

don't pay any money to get a new guitar fixed. either they fix it or get a different guitar...

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Conversely, a $600 guitar should have a proper neck. GC should make the adjustment for no charge.
Return to GC with the guitar and change it for a new Classic Player 60s. You and everybody are paying a lot of money for our instruments. Fender must review that kind of things before they send them to the stores. What do you do if you buy a computer or a car with a wrong part? It is a Fender's problem.

BTW, usually Fender always has the same problems. They are not be able to make two guitars in the same way! :evil:

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Ohhhh your gonna hate me for this..

I'd take it back and get the Epi LP Gold Top with Soap Bars..... but that's just me. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

GC definitely should fix it at no charge to you.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

+1 on everything. Get what you want. If you already have, get them to adjust or replace. Also, borrow a tuner from their counter and check out before leaving the store just to make sure.

Oh, and I'm with Dagwood. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

imo a $100 guitar should not even need a setup, but thats me.
i would take it back and ask if they have one that you can play without investing $ past the purchase price.
the reason these fools get away with selling this kind of stuff is because we allow them to.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Don't be emotional. Guitars are made in masses in a factory and you haven't owned this for long.

Just return the guitar and make them realize the inconvenience you went through at New Year, due to their faulty guitar.

They should provide you a new guitar, properly setup and with additional discount (or some extra strings).

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It is GC's obligation to deliver the guitar properly set-up. If that is extra $$ -- totally that store manager's decision -- then you should be told up front, and you can always decide to do business elsewhere.

On the Fender truss adjustment: The need for neck removal for truss adjust on that particlar truss rod/neck design has long been an issue for a fair percentage of the owners. And this difficulty is not uniformly similar even among guitars of exactly the same model. Some necks just happen to need seasonal adjustment; others do not -- has to do with many factors: including, grain direction and saw method, particular subspecies of the wood, seasoning/aging, type of fingerboard, finishing. If you end up with one that does need periodic adjustments, it will always be a bit of a PITA, even if you learn to DIY. Unfortunately, there is no way to know until you've owned and played a guitar for a year or two how much adjustment it will require. Even then, some necks will have different stability characteristics -- either better or worse -- ten years down the road.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry I don't have time to address everyone's comments right now, but I wanted to post my thanks for all of the advice. I really like that guitar and they don't have another like it in the store, so I am sure to have to get something different. I don't think I even want them to dink around with this one. I have the feeling it won't just be one time to get it right.

Thanks again and if I don't post anything else before the end of the day, I want to be the first to wish you all a safe and Happy New Year!!

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I went to GC yesterday and the sales guy was very cooperative. I said that I was going to look around for somehting else, and if I couldn't find anything, that I would request a refund. In the meantime, he said that he woud try to adjust the neck. Long story short on that, he was going to try to get to the truss rod screw by taking off the pickguard. That didn't work.

After looking around and playing the JV Strat for the umpteenth time, I told him that I was just going to get my money back. He asked if I had tried the Highway One Strat. I told him that I hadn't even seen it. Anyway, he brought out a flat black HSS and I played it. Very, very nice. After some haggling, he said that we could exchange the guitars for $60. I asked him to hold it as they were close to closing and are closed today.

I talked to my wife and she has just taken a higher paying job. She suggested that I save my money and put more with it to get a nicer guitar. Now, I don't know what kind of time frame there is on this. Right now money is a bit tight, which is why I am trying to get the best guitar for the money.

Should I pony up the extra $60 and get the Highway One, or get the refund and try to save more money? Or maybe even find a used USA Strat?

Thanks,
Jim

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I vote for the Highway One. The American made Fenders have better quality hardware and electronics. It is not a question of workmanship, just better materials.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Should I pony up the extra $60 and get the Highway One, or get the refund and try to save more money? Or maybe even find a used USA Strat?
I've played several Highway One and I don't like them. Nothing wrong, here there are several users and probably they can give you his/her opinion. I read several reviews and usually people complain on the paint finish.

And just as a comment, the Classic Player Series guitars are Mexican and they have better electronics and hardware than the normal Americans. The normal Americans have better electronics and hardware than the normal Mexicans. To me they are two different guitars.

Fender is a very special brand and they have lots of different models. You must check each model and each guitar.

Jim, I think it is your decision... but if you really like the CP 60s, get the money and go to another store or wait for a new one in the GC. Else, play several Strats and several non-Strats and if you don't like them...

I would wait. I did it more than one year to get my guitar.
Just my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2