Notifications
Clear all

Epi LPClassic vs LP Standard

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tumbleweed47)
Topic starter  

This will be my first electric guitar, I have it narrowed down to three, Epi-LP standard, Epi LP classic quilt top and the Epi-LP custom, I can't find a bad review on any one of these, I'm just wondering if ya'all have a oppion on these, I'd like to go Gibson but it's just not in the budget, also, I,ve heard that the Alnico humbuckers are pretty good, is there a different pick-up that goes well with these guitars? I plan on running them thru a Marshall half stack MG100HDFX, style will be country/rock/blues... thanks in advance... oh yea I just love this guitar site!!!, problem is I'm starting to spend more time here than where I should be, playing my guitar!!!

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I've been shopping for an lp type guitar for some time now and the more i do the less i am inclined to go for less quality then an epi elitist, or one of the signature models such as the joe perry boneyard.
however today i decided to check out the "new products" tab at MF and came across this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=516951
the reviews i've found make quite a compelling argument to at least check it out.
it even comes with a hard case.
i plan on trying one out in the next couple of weeks if i can get down to the local MF.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't know which is the LP Classic, I was searching in a Epiphone catalogue. I bought a Standard last month and I am very happy. According to the salesman, some Epi LPs are basically equals, each new "level" includes better finished, sometimes visual finished that doesn't imply a better sound.

My advice is that play the guitars to make the decision. Usually the reviews are always good.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I think you'll find that there really isn't too much difference between those Epi models. A few cosmetics, perhaps, but nothing to change the tone or playability. In the Gibson line those models have different pickups and tuners.

My recommendation - much like TL's - is to look at some other, non-Epiphone, models and brands. Michael Kelly makes a fantastic Les Paul for about $375 - 425 ( http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/ ) and the Washburn Idol series is fairly well known.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Agile at rondomusic.net

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@tumbleweed47)
Topic starter  

Thanks to all for your replys, twistedlefty I get a chuckle when ever I see your name on here cuz I have a friend that I refer to as left of twisted. anyway I was thinking that all three models were the same also except for the bells and whisle's, the standard I believe is a alder body with a solid color finish (399.00) and the classic has a quilt top with a transparent finish(450.00) and I'm not sure about the custom(599.00) I have'nt played any of these yet, I want to arm myself with as much info as I can get befor I go down to the Guitar Center, that Washburn looks pretty sweet also so I'll have to check that one out also, this guitar/amp is going to be a xmas gift to myself so I'll be getting them pretty soon, I'll let ya'all know how it works out, there's one more thing I've been wanting to do and that's some simple recordings like on that soundclick thing, Ive been lookin for software to do some recordings but all I have is a old hand-me-down computer with windows 98, where can I go to find out how to do that? thanks again

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't remember so well but I think the difference (or one of them) between Standard and Custom are the body's edge (on the top side), they use a different material and finish, also the knobs are different (basically cosmetics I think).

For the software, try Audacity. According to the requirements it is Win98 compatible.

ReplyQuote