Clear all

Ever try to find a guitar you sold?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Lately, I've been thinking about one of my first guitars. A black, American standard strat, left-handed, I bought in about 94. My guitar playing wasn't progressing (due to lack of practice) so I finally sold it about 5 years ago. A couple of years ago I decided to try my hand at guitar again, and it's going much better this time around. But I wonder what my old Strat has been up to.
Anyone here ever try to find a guitar you let go? Any luck? I don't have the serial number, but I sold it to a local Music-Go-Round, so it's a start.

Dan

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I have sort of an opposite story.

A few years ago I traded a drumset for a guitar.

Last year while rummaging through a local Music-Go-Round, lo and behold there sat the same kit I had traded. It had been through two previous owners (after me) as it had two other "pawn shop" stickers on it.

It had really been beat to crap, too. I felt sorry for it. Kinda like leaving your pet at the humane society. :cry:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Bish, you're heartless! It was calling out to you! Haha. I'm always on the look out in the papers and online ads for black Strats in my area, just in case it's my old one. But I wish I'd have taken down the serial number so I'd know for sure.
I almost think of the guitar as an ex-girlfriend...and I don't know if that says more about the guitar or the women I've dated. But I wonder how many other people have played it, if it has more wear and tear on it than when I let it go, if it's being taken care of...

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I have yet to sell any guitars I've owned, although I did lose a classical guitar when my bro' decided to use it as a hammer. I find it difficult to let guitars go - they're like part of my life, or a blueprint or history of where I've been and what I've done. Mind you, I've also had to do some seriously hard saving for most of my guitars, or I inherited them from my pops, so I look on them as having more than merely a monetary value. If I ever became rich and famous, I'm sure I could be pretty blase if I had a massive collection, lol.

There was a guy in the latest issue of Guitarist magazine though who made his first guitar, then sold it and years later tried finding it again. He got lucky and bought his back from the then-owner - but he benefited from it being hand-made by him and therefoe pretty unique.

Hope you do find that axe man - and I hope no one's gone and changed the colour on it to confuse you.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Scrybe, thanks. I hadn't even THOUGHT about someone changing the color! I'm going home tonight and writing down all the serial numbers of my guitars!

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Back in the 80's, I'd had one nylon-strung acoustic and one truly god-awful POS electric guitar which I'm thankful I can hardly remember. I got made redundant, so having got a pocketful of money, I treated myself to a new guitar.

Bear in mind, at the time I wouldn't know a Stratocaster from caster sugar - I was a salesman's dream, knew nothing at all about electric guitars except I wanted one. I saw this guitar that looked like a work of art to me - it was a rich, dark Maroon colour (Wine? Black Cherry?) Epiphone Les Paul. I tried it through a Vox AC30 amp in the shop, and it even sounded good in my hands...bought the guitar and the amp.

Nine months later, flat broke, newly divorced and living in a Salvation Army hostel, sold guitar and amp for about £60 - roughly a 1/6 of what I'd paid for them. It'd be twenty years before I laid my hands on a decent guitar again.....

Still remember that Epi, though. I'd love to get my hands on it, to see if it really was as good as I remember....anyway, if you ever come across an Epi Les Paul Custom, serial number K777090, let me know!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There was an Ibanez hollowbody that I admired and thought of buying when it came in the music store. Someone else bought it. 2-3 years later he traded it back in, in like-new condition, and I bought it for my boy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote