Clear all

Favorite Movie Scenes With Heavy Music Presence

35 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

2001: A Space Odyssey -- probably where many of us first recall hearing Also Sprach Zarathustra
+1

Amelie is a funny movie with a great music.

And The Guns of Navarone and The Bridge on the River Kwai!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I totally forgot about the Easy Rider sound track gnease mentioned. There were a few scenes in that movie that were really enhanced by the musical selections, especially at the beginning. The Pusher, Born To Be Wild and The Weight stick out in my mind. (Although I still have no clue what The Weight is about)

does anyone really know what it's about? those crazy &%$#*@-up lyrics are what makes it such a great tune. (and don't tell me if you know. that'd spoil it.)
I thought of another scene recently. The Tango scene in Scent Of A Woman where Pacino (playing a blind retired Army Officer) dances the Tango with a sharp young lass.

thx to Mr. Parker, a neuron fires: for some reason this triggered a memory of Last Tango in Paris, about which I remember little -- certainly not the music -- except it was improbably creepy (thx Brando), and that comment about playing soccer (yes, he is American).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I woke up this morning singing the song during the final scenes of the Thomas Crown Affair (90's version with Brosnan/Russo). "Sinnerman", by Nina Simone. I think the song was part of a dream right before I woke. Odd. Anyhow, that's another movie inspired song that I actually took the time to find a guitar chord sheet for a little while back.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I like Tarantino's choice of music for his films - a nice eclectic mixture. Scorsese's films always have a great soundtrack, but that could be because I love the Stones....

As for one of my all time favourite films - well, could you honestly imagine watching The Magnificent Seven without Elmer Bernstein's theme and score?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@cd-60-blk)
Eminent Member

I'll have to say Rob Zombies' The Devil's Rejects. The Devil's Rejects wouldn't have even been the same movie without the music. When there singing and partying to Rocky Mountain Way, Free Bird at the last scene and the perfectly fit Seed of Memory by Terry Reid at the end credits, great song too. Thinking of Free Bird, in the movie Duets when the guy (can't think of his name right now, he's on the show House right now) sings it acappella, sounds good in my opinion. I agree with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, Tarentino usually has a good soundtrack. :note1:

Where do you get your energies? Well its a vicious circle thing, If I hadn't ever played an instrument then I wouldn't ever need to play one. But now that I've been playing, I need to play. - Eric Clapton 1967 RollingStone interview

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

give a listen to "death wish II" music score by J.Page & Herbie Hancock

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

The DARTH VADER entrance music!!!!

love it!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Generally, anything by Quentin Tarantino is great... Kill Bill is great for the music... every song he picked is perfect for the scene and are so much more than background music.

Along the same lines... the TV show House has great music selection and the songs play a very important part in the show. Hugh Laurie picks all the songs for the show and is a great musician himself

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

A lot of good choices already mentioned but missing is Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man with the soundtrack by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. The music and the film are almost one.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

A lot of good choices already mentioned but missing is Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man with the soundtrack by Neil Young and Crazy Horse. The music and the film are almost one.

Wow, I never heard the music, all I could hear was me saying "God, this movie sucks" over and over. :evil: I love watching Depp in his oddball rolls, but this was a real disappointment to me. No matter how good the music, it couldn't make this movie worth watching. But, hey, maybe it's just me... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I got off my butt and learned an easy version of Nina Simone's "Sinnerman" that backed the big climax scene in the Thomas Crown Affair. It was mostly just Bm with an A and an Em thrown in for good measure. Fast as heck strumming though. Ouch! Lyrics fun too, and no, you'll never hear them from me. Alone in the house type singing only.

Here's her doing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6_BWNzThJY&feature=related I'd post that scene instead of the song I linked too except that it would be a spoiler if never seen before.

Probably the only reason I have heard of Nina Simone is perhaps because of the movies. An album of hers was shown in "No Way Out" with that chick that looks like John Bon Jovi (Bridget Fonda), and the afformentioned scene in The Thomas Crown Affair. I am Sooooo sheltered. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@cd-60-blk)
Eminent Member

I watched August Rush the other day, with the young kid who is a musical prodigy. Pretty cool guitar playing, its like slap guitar or something. I tried hitting my guitar like that, didn't work out so well!! Good movie though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN0c_egqXAM

Where do you get your energies? Well its a vicious circle thing, If I hadn't ever played an instrument then I wouldn't ever need to play one. But now that I've been playing, I need to play. - Eric Clapton 1967 RollingStone interview

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey, cool topic! :D

Lesse....

Easy Rider - Yes! IIRC, the first movie to use pop songs for it's soundtrack.
'Wasn't Born to Follow' was used twice, and I don't mind; Great song.
Love the juxtaposition of when Hendrix's 'If 6 was 9' comes on.
Dylan wouldn't let them use his version of 'It's Alright Ma', cos his singing was awful! LOL!
McGuinn does a fine version, as he does with the closer - 'The Ballad of Easy Rider'.
Really enjoyed the (Always great and oft overlooked Electric Prunes) doing a psychedelic version
of the Catholic mass standard 'Kyrie Eleison' 8)

2001 - 'Thus Spake' was fantasic, of course. And I believe it was key to understanding the underlying theme or motive
of the movie, with it's tie-in to Nietzsche and Existentialism.
(I believe 'Thus Spake' was also used in 'Catch-22', for a more risque effect).
Let's not overlook the wonderful use of the 'Blue Danube Waltz' in 2001.... Strauss always puts a smile on my face :D

The Third Man - I'm sure Vic will agree with me here; Who could forget 'The Harry Lime Theme'?
Anton Karas' use of Zither music throughout the movie has you ready to strangle somebody at the end of the movie;
but I wouldn't have it any other way :wink:

Bridge on the River Kwai - How many people here have whistled the 'Bridge on the River Kwai Theme' while doing manual labor?

Wizard of Oz - How many people have hummed or sung 'If I Only Had a Brain' in the office when someone does something stupid? "I could while away the hours, conversin' with the flowers.... dada da-da da-da' :P

Once Upon a Time in the West - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly was fantastic, for sure....
So was OUaTitW. Each character having their own theme (much like Darth Vader).
And, relating another song to this movie, I always think of Henry Fonda's incredible (against type) villian, whenever Lou Reed sings 'and villians never blink their eyes'.... as I don't think that Henry ever blinked his steely blues once in the movie! :shock:

M*A*S*H* - Suicide is Painless. Fantastic opening song, as well as the acoustic one performed in The Last Supper scene.

Coming Home - Love the use of Tim Buckley's 'Once I Was' during that wonderfully edited scene.
The whole soundtrack is absolutely incredible! (And no, I don't care to hear anyone grumble about Jane Fonda!)

Billy Jack - One Tin Soldier Rides Away.

Hair - Too many good Movie/Music parts.

The Blue Angel - Marlene Dietrich's 'Lola Lola' sings 'Fallin' In Love Again (Can't Help It)'

Blue Velvet - Isabella Rosellini does a torch song version of Blue Velvet.... But the show stealer is def Dean Stockwell
lip synching to Roy Orbison's 'In Dreams' into the drop light as microphone at Hopper's request! (Do, candy colored clown!)

Honorable mention: Wonder Boys and Girl Interupted soundtracks.

Ken

ps - Was going to mention the Chanel #5 commercial with 'I Don't Want to Set the World On Fire'
Always loved that one. Of course, I like it because my Grandpa ALWAYS sang that song :D

Then there was Dueling Banjos from Deliverance.... and I had another, but forgot it.

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Bridge on the River Kwai - How many people here have whistled the 'Bridge on the River Kwai Theme' while doing manual labor?
The tune that you're talking about isn't actually called that. The 'Bridge on the River Kwai Theme" is a different piece of music (but written by the same composer), used in the film. The piece that you're talking about is called the "Colonel Bogey March". In WWII, the British put words to it, which were somewhat derogatory to the Nazis and it moved into the fabric of British culture, where it has stayed ever since.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Cool.
Thankx for the correction and additional information, Greybeard :D

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"