Skip to content
Fender Tele vs Squi...

Notifications
Clear all

Fender Tele vs Squier Tele - a few comparisons.

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
22.7 K Views
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I will get round to a detailed comparison eventually, but for now, here's a few first impressions......

First thing to bear in mind - these are my two guitars we're comparing, so obviously I can't speak for every Fender and every Squier ever made. To date, I've played two Squier guitars - a Squier Strat which I bought not long after joining GN about 3 years ago when I was still utterly awful, and a Squier Custom Tele which I bought a couple of years ago when my playing had improved more than a little. The Squier Strat was a nice guitar - nice easy neck to play on, but it was, for me, a beginner electric. The Squier Tele has been my main guitar ever since I bought it - I hardly ever touched the Strat again, and sold it cheaply.

I bought the Squier Tele after seeing a Status Quo live gig....for those who don't know about Quo, they're a - basically - 12-bar blues/rock band. Both guitarists use Teles - the lead guitarist has his Tele fitted with an extra p/u, like a Strat configuration, and uses light strings - 9's. The rhythm player uses heavy strings - 13's - and uses lots of barre chords up and down the neck to about the 15th fret, adding 6th's and 7ths in the classic blues/rock shuffle manner. Anyway, I decided I had to have a Tele - and when I came into some money, I went to the local guitar shop with a full wallet to buy a Fender Tele. And came away with the Squier. It felt better and sounded better than its dearer relative - the Squier Tele cost £135, the Fenders were £335 - to me.

This time, I wanted another Squier Tele - with P90's instead of Humbuckers, what I wanted was a second electric to tune to open G. I'm playing a lot of slide these days.....

But when I saw the white Fender Tele, as I've said in another post, it didn't so much speak to me as SING to something in my soul...I knew I wanted it straight away. When I felt it and played it, it felt so good in my hands that I didn't need to even try another guitar.

So having had it for a week or so - though it feels like a long time, it's adapted to its owner pretty well - here's a few comparisons.

TUNERS. The Fender scores heavily here - it stays in tune beautifully. Took it out of a warm house into a cool evening (in a gig bag) into a really warm crowded pub....didn't need re-tuning. Although the top E needed tweaking once or twice - but not by much.

NECK. Little to choose between them. The frets feel a little easier to slide over on the Fender, but the first thing - the very first thing! - I noticed was there's more wood behind the first fret of the Fender - ie less of a slope between the headstock and the fretboard. That's down to muscle memory! I think the Fender neck is slightly more rounded - but again, not much in it. The Fender wins - but not by much.

PICK-UPS. This is where the Squier scores - seems more versatile than the Fender, ie there's a bigger difference between the bridge P/U and the neck P/U on the Squier. The Squier seems capable of any tone from Rock to Blues to Heavy Metal to Country to Fingerpicked. I can get a huge difference in tones just by addressing the tone pots. The Fender? Yes, there's a nice difference between the bridge and neck P/U's - but very little difference between the middle position and the neck PU.

The Squier sems to handle distortion better - maybe that's the difference between the Humbuckers on the Squier and the single coil P/U's on the Fender? - when the gain's fairly cranked. Bear in mind though, I'm still experimenting with settings, trying to find MY signature tone, if you like, on the new Cube 30.....

PLAYED CLEAN. This is where the Fender TRASHES the Squier - I've got some cool acoustic-ish guitar effects from the Squier in the past, playing with a bit of reverb and chorus - but the Fender is absolutely beautiful played through the clean channel. I can strum it like an acoustic, I can finger-pick it like an acoustic, I can almost do away with an acoustic guitar! (Nick - wanna buy an SPT?) (Forget it- I'm kidding - I'd NEVER get rid of that!)

BALANCE. Again, little to choose - but I can wear the strap a fraction lower on the Fender, it just feels that little bit more comfortable.

MY SONGS. I tried playing a few of my own songs with both guitars - played rhythm and lead, switched from bridge for lead to middle or middle and neck for rhythm. The sustain on the Fender is incredible - I thought it was pretty good on the Squier, hit a chord with distortion and it would hold without those beats - but it holds for longer on the Fender. Solos seemed a little easier on the Fender - but I'm so used to playing rhythm on the Squier, it definitely held its own.

ACTION/SET-UP - Had the Squier for two years. Originally, it was meant to be in open G - I raised the action slightly, it was just a touch too low for the light strings I prefer. But it's easy to adjust, and the intonation's pretty good. The Fender? The action seemed high at first, but I soon got used to the smaller frets and now it feels as smooth as water on glass. Both guitars were set up almost perfectly from the box.

PLAYING SLIDE. Haven't experimented much yet, but so far I like what I've heard from the Fender. I don't tend to catch the frets quite as much and rattle the slide. Haven't tried it in an open tuning yet - but it's pretty nice in standard. Thing is, I'm not going to pay so much money for a Fender then relegate it to slide guitar when rhythm is what I'm good at. So the Squier will probably end up in open G with the action raised just a touch to avoid that fret-knocking.

LOOKS - A white Fender Tele vs a Black Squier Tele - do I really need to go any further? Doesn't matter what anyone says about guitars, it's the look that draws you in first. I thought the white Tele was the most beautiful guitar I'd ever seen, so 'nuff said. Although the Squier Tele is pretty cool, the one gripe I have about the look is that the bottom pickguard seems cut off - doesn't extend all the way over the bottom "horn."

THE TELE TWANG - The Squier, contrary to what you may have read elsewhere, DOES have the Tele twang. But not like a Fender. The difference is like having fat-free, taste-free skimmed milk in your tea or coffee instead of proper full-fat milk with the cream.

OVERALL - The Fender wins. Let's face it, the Fender Tele is a true icon - along with the Strat, the LP and the SG, it's probably one of the big four when it comes to guitars. At least on this site. BUT - it doesn't win by that much. It's a beautiful guitar, no question - but the Squier Tele I own is also a lovely guitar, a well-made, well assembled piece of kit. I'd recommend the Squier Tele to anyone for a first electric. There's a big difference in price - the Squier Custom now retails at £175, the Fender Tele at £330......probably a fair bit cheaper in the USA.

I've waffled on a bit further than I intended - kept picking the guitars up and making comparisons between them. I love them both, but the Fender's definitely #1 now - money spent on it alone would justify that. But I wouldn't have spent so much if I didn't think it was worth it. Then again, I'm not about to throw the Squier away - it's been a fun guitar, we've had a lot of good times together, and I'm a sentimental so-and-so. It's just been promoted to #1 slide/openG guitar. And with these two guitars, I don't think I'll EVER need another..... honestly, I'm good to go, as they say in the USA.

I do NOT need another guitar.
I really do NOT need another guitar.
I don't WANT another guitar.

I just have to keep those last three lines in my head for a while.......

Hope you got something positive from this post.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I don't have a Fender tele, but my Squier tele pretty much compares to yours I think.I have the Black and Chrome Standard Squier. Mine twangs nicely, but is not all that great for slide guitar IMO. Mine has the single coil pups. The bridge PUP has lots of bite :twisted: I can get some cool sounds out of it. The neck PUP is OK, but not great. The Strat does that neck pick up thang much better. I'm thinking of changing th string from .09's to .11's and lowering the action a bit :idea: In a year or two I will probably trade the squier for a Fender Tele, until then.......

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I don't have a Fender tele, but my Squier tele pretty much compares to yours I think.I have the Black and Chrome Standard Squier. Mine twangs nicely, but is not all that great for slide guitar IMO. Mine has the single coil pups. The bridge PUP has lots of bite :twisted: I can get some cool sounds out of it. The neck PUP is OK, but not great. The Strat does that neck pick up thang much better. I'm thinking of changing th string from .09's to .11's and lowering the action a bit :idea: In a year or two I will probably trade the squier for a Fender Tele, until then.......

Hey Ken, if we're talking Slide Guitar, remember "Mother Carey's Chickens?" It wasn't that long ago - and I don't think I've ever played guitar better than that. At least playing lead. It was played in standard on the Squier....

With the action raised a little, I should be able to play it better now.....on the same guitar......

And that's what playing guitar's all about - just striving all the time to get that little bit better....might try it again this week.....

One of these days, I WILL be a good guitarist - and if I don't, well, hell, at least I can hold my hands up and say "I TRIED!".....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i've never played a Squier tele but I have a Fender tele. I can be quite happy with this guitar forever. The only thing about this one that I would change is that the new Highway Ones don't come in any "good" colors. IMHO. It's a nice color but not great. Mine is a sort of wine red and it's a matte finish, not shiny at all.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Telecaster?sku=511255&src ="3SOSWXXA"

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey Ken, if we're talking Slide Guitar, remember "Mother Carey's Chickens?" It wasn't that long ago - and I don't think I've ever played guitar better than that. At least playing lead. It was played in standard on the Squier....

With the action raised a little, I should be able to play it better now.....on the same guitar......

And that's what playing guitar's all about - just striving all the time to get that little bit better....might try it again this week.....

One of these days, I WILL be a good guitarist - and if I don't, well, hell, at least I can hold my hands up and say "I TRIED!".....

Vic

Vic

Well, I turn 50 next month, so I probably have another 20-30 years to get it right :D Probably won't but I'll have some fun trying

My Youtube Page

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

i've never played a Squier tele but I have a Fender tele. I can be quite happy with this guitar forever. The only thing about this one that I would change is that the new Highway Ones don't come in any "good" colors. IMHO. It's a nice color but not great. Mine is a sort of wine red and it's a matte finish, not shiny at all.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Telecaster?sku=511255&src ="3SOSWXXA"

As I recall from last week's jam, your tele has a very nice wood grain. The matte finish very likely could be buffed to a gloss if you prefer shiny.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. I've been wondering about the differences between the two, but have only heard generalities. Your review was a good read and a generous donation of your time.

I've been thinking of getting a squire Strat, putting my pick guard from my Fender on it that's loaded with some hotter tex-mex style pickups onto it and setting the current Fender up with the David Gilmour setup. Sort of un-related because they're not teles, but they are Squire vs Fender still.

Thanks again!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks for the review Vic!
Hope you got something positive from this post.....
Yes. My next guitar will be a Fender. :D

ReplyQuote
(@tsunami71)

I acquired a 1985 Japanese made "SQ" series white Squier Tele, free from my brother-in-law & had some modifications done to spice it up. Put an active EMG SA pickup in the neck & a Rio Grande Muy Grande for Tele in the bridge and changed the string gauge to 11'...... :shock: :note1: :note2: The EMG gives you a really warm, thick, and smooth tone while the Grande is like getting #11 added to your volume knob with an incredible sticky grit when you really dig in. And the blend, was made to scream the blues. I am not the largest fan of the neck, hard to grab those high notes. But that is easily fixable with a new neck.

Overall she is a growling beast when driven hard, but can be sensually silky & smooth with creamy warmth. And if you tickle her just right, she'll honky-tonk with the cleanest staccato twang you could ever imagine.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I got a 1989 M.I.J. strat that really sounds and plays great :note1: :note2: I will probably up grade the pick-ups, but its really nice the way it is.

My Youtube Page

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have a Fender tele for the very reasons you discovered and posted.
the Fender neck is amazing. the feel is great. and it is because they round over slightly the side of the neck. the fret ends are trimmed and polished perfectly. it is so smooth and comfy. I have found the Squiers have lesser finished neck and fret ends. some better than others. some are like saws.
the sustain and twang in a Fender tele is signature to Fender. the bridge plate and neck thickness and angle at the headstock has everything to do with that. Squier does not add the extra work to keep the price down. they make no bones about that either. there are very nice guitars in that price range. I started out with lower end guitars.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote