Skip to content
First electric - wh...

Notifications
Clear all

First electric - what effect pedals are de rigueur?

13 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

I'm enjoying this guitar playings so much, I'm going to treat myself to an electric - nothing fancy or expensive - I'm sticking to the $100 rule (well, it's about $140 which is close enough for me).

I can get a kit that comes with an 8w practice amp which has gain, volume and tone. The guitar has a tremolo bridge, 3 single coil pickups, 1 volume and 2 tone controls and 5-way selector (what's that?)

I'll probably ask some more questions once I've got the kit, but while I'm ordering, what effect pedals do you guys and gals recommend I get - for a beginner, that is...

Thanks.

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There is only one pedal that is de rigeur - the Equaliser. All the rest are optional. 8)
Nice to have (in no particular order):
Compressor
Chorus
Delay/Reverb/Echo
Overdrive/distortion

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

an electric guitar in your future...cool. by your description it sounds like you are getting a stratocaster type copy. the 5 way selector switch you mention is an essential tool on the guitar. it 'turns on' he pickup (s). for example, if the switch is all the way forward (away from the heel of the guitar) the forward pickup or neck pickup is active. if the switch is all the way back (towards the heel of the guitar) the bridge pickup is active. the switch positions between those tow create pickup combinations.
in the bridge position the guitar will have more treblely sound. twang, surf, bright, brittle, sparkle, crisp crunch are all adjectives that could be used. the neck pickup will give you a mellow sound. bell like tones. woodier. jazz. adjectives like that.

play your electric clean until you understand the switch positions and how the tone control works in all positions before you get too involved with pedals. then start simple. get an overdrive pedal. that will keep you busy for a long time.

then keep in mind that a starter electric in that price range will have some limitations.

I love single coils. others like humbuckers. but that is another story.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

There is only one pedal that is de rigeur - the Equaliser. All the rest are optional. 8)
Nice to have (in no particular order):
Compressor
Chorus
Delay/Reverb/Echo
Overdrive/distortion
I just picked up my first electric a Parkwood Hybrid the H4 to be specific, myself. To sound something like Pat Metheny just going by the names I expect a chorus or a delay/reverb/echo is what is called for.

So is there a primer on the different effects posted?

ReplyQuote
(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

You could pick up a very cheap multi-function pedal, like this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-RP50-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Pedal-102135435-i1124374.gc

That will let you try out different effects and see what they sound like. Then, when you're ready, you can look at individual, higher quality pedals.

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

There's the whole From Here To There section under In The Studio that I find most helpful. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40 I went from total ignorance to just plain stupid in weeks. :lol:

What you getting for guitar and amp? You got a link?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Roy

I got my acoustic kit from these guys and the Stagg seems to be pretty robust - good for a starter. I expect there's a lot of folks have their own preferences, but I reckon this is as good as anything for starters...

http://www.normans.co.uk/Items/ESURF-BK?&caSKU=ESURF-BK&caTitle=Stagg%20ESURF-BK%20Electric%20Guitar%20Starter%20Kit%20in%20Black

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

play your electric clean until you understand the switch positions and how the tone control works in all positions before you get too involved with pedals. then start simple. get an overdrive pedal. that will keep you busy for a long time.
+1

Probably the amp has two channels: the clean and the overdrive. Thus you can try that sound directly without a pedal. Initially I didn't distinguish the bridge and the neck pups in the clean channel and they are as the day and the night. It needs time.

You also can consider one of those multi-effects. They include lots of different effects: overdrives in all the flavours, delays and echos, modulation as chorus, etc.

When you know all the effects always can improve your favorite.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hi Roy

I got my acoustic kit from these guys and the Stagg seems to be pretty robust - good for a starter. I expect there's a lot of folks have their own preferences, but I reckon this is as good as anything for starters...

http://www.normans.co.uk/Items/ESURF-BK?&caSKU=ESURF-BK&caTitle=Stagg%20ESURF-BK%20Electric%20Guitar%20Starter%20Kit%20in%20Black

Rock on!

D 8)

Sweet man! That oughta do the trick. Good price and everything. You'll have to post something when you get going with it. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There are no pedals de rigeur. I usually plug straight in and play.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

There are no pedals de rigeur. I usually plug straight in and play.
Awe...I like my toys... I love the sound of the 'overdrive' pedal... :D

Don't get me wrong, of course I'll try and play it clean to start with anyway - I'm still learning my acoustics capabilities with hammer-ons and pull-offs and such like so I've a long way to go... but boys with toys y'know!

Of course I'll post the unveiling ceremony and my first tasty licks, but I don't think I'll be getting it for a little while yet... although it's getting more and more tempting. I'll wait for my first 12 months of acoustic to pass before moving on to electric. I reckon I would have earned my stripes by then.

Rock on!

D 8)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Dylan, you earn stripes by playing. if you want an electric get one. playing both acoustic and electric . I see only benefit.
they are, of course, different beasts. IMO both will add to your abilities by learning the nuances of each. as for electric bing played clean we all have been to a guitar store and had to endure that awful shredding noise made worse by poor technique, crappy guitars, and way too much effect from a pedal.
the tone is in the fingers for sure. that goes for both acoustic and electric.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

we all have been to a guitar store and had to endure that awful shredding noise made worse by poor technique, crappy guitars, and way too much effect from a pedal.

Crap. Were youall in the guitarshop last time I was shopping?

But seriously- I've had my electric for six months, no pedals. Just the guitar and a dead cheap amp. My two cents worth is that if I had a multi-effects pedal, or any kind of a pedal, or even a modelling amp, I'd spend too much time screwing around with the settings and not get any serious practicing done.

Best,
ande

ReplyQuote