Skip to content
GAS Iceman Electric...

Notifications
Clear all

GAS Iceman Electric and Les Paul Eukele (with pictures)

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I got some serious GAS over the weekend. Friday I went to the biggest music shop in the area, with no real idea why I was going. Didn't buy a guitar, but did expand my 'lick library' collection with a Pink Floyd and GunsNRoses DVD. Those DVDs are excellent for learning a song from start to finish. I got home and wondered why I hadn't bought myself an accoustic like I'd semi-planned to. I'm learning a bit of flamenco style just as a fresh view on the instrument and improving my hands on strumming.

I'd been searching through GN through the week at work, and sent myself a link that I didn't look at until Friday night. It was Jake the crazy Eukele player, and I thought - Wow, got to get me one of those!

So Saturday I decided to go back, with a view to buy a new Axe and possibly a Eukele. Ended up buying an electric Les Paul Eukele for £60.

I almost bought an Ibanez Iceman guitar on credit. Turns out there was a problem with the credit company, my house doesnt exist! So I wont get that guitar til today. I'm paying £650 for it, but its on the higher end of the scale of those guitars as far as I can work out.

Heres a picture of the features and colour, not necessarily the exact model. The bridge and locking string tuner things are the same though. Looks identical actually:

So I'm just about to go pickup this guitar, so I can play some real 80's rock :)

I love the sound of the Eukele too, shame it doesnt hold its tuning for very long. I picked up Jack Johnsons - Breakdown, which is actually played on a Eukele. The songs really simple and sounds really good. So not a bad weekend for me, new instruments, new songs.

Anyone have an Ibanez Iceman or any nice Eukele links or experiences?

(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Let us know how that ice is.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That LP uke is way too cute! Never knew such a thing existed.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Atleast the Uke doesn't cost 2600$ and must have got more 'tone'. :note1:

Nice one.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The Iceman does look like it needs (starts with a V and rhymes with Niagara.)

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The Eukele has the most awesome tone I've heard from an instrument that is barely the length of my forearem lol. I love the sound of it. If anyone gets to have a go of one, you should look up the chords for Jack Johnsons - Breakdown. Its almost instantly recording perfect and makes you feel like sipping rum and coconut from your hammock. I love it, and I can play it when my sliced fingers can take no more on my electric.

The Iceman, well its very very nice. Its the STM1 model, which is the signature model of the guy off of Dragon Force. I think its the best model you can get, and it really should be for £650/$1300. Apparently it sounds as good as a Les Paul, but I'm still a noob really with too much spare money lol. I have been playing guitar for 3-10 hours a day for the last 6 months though, so I deserve it hehe.

I thought the locking part of the nut would mean no tuning issues, but I had to loosen them off so I could open up the bridge adjustment screws a little. I'd ran out of thread on them because it kept dropping out of tune. This may be because its barely been played and needs time to settle, but I loosened the nut screws, tuned it, and them put them back on and re-adjusted at the bridge and it seems ok for now. I can always get it resetup at the shop if needed, although I'd prefer to handle it myself.
The main features of the Ibanez STM1 include:

Striking STM - Sam Totman series, Iceman style electric guitar with DiMarzio Evolution pickups, at a great price
5pc Wizard II Neck-thru Maple/Walnut neck
Mahogany body (bound)
Rosewood Fingerboard (bound) with angled block inlays
Scale: 648mm/25.5 inch
Width at Nut: 43mm
24 Jumbo frets
Chrome hardware
Edge III tremolo bridge
DiMarzio Evolution (H) Neck Pickup
DiMarzio Evolution (H) Bridge Pickup
3-way pickup switching

I keep forgetting about the bridge and since I'm practising my muting etc. I sometimes rest on it by accident hehe. The jumbo frets are quite good I think, It seems a little strange to slide without touching the fretboard (too much pressure and you feel every 'jumbo' bump). Its also easier to make your notes sharp. But the sound is awesome, unplugged. I've got a new baby, and I was tired yesterday so I couldn't be bothered plugging it in. I played it at the shop though, so theres no nasty surprises there.

There are a number of reviews with negatives on the build quality - I cant see any issues though.

All in all, an awesome sounding guitar with lots of nice features. 8)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

That LP uke is way too cute! Never knew such a thing existed.
Yeah! That uke is very cool! And it has only four strings! :D

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Very nice. I always liked the look of the Iceman. You'll have to post pics and clips!!!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That Iceman seems like a real nice guitar. Congrats!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

A little late, but heres a few partial songs I've recorded:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=42640

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ukes are fantastic. I love mine and play it everyday. four strings is all one needs. there are so many songs to play.

it is easy to bend the strings out of tune so a lighter touch is needed.

http://www.beatlesite.info

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

http://www.beatlesite.info

Hey - thanks for that site - very cool!
I haven't touched my uke for a while but - a change is gonna come, oh yes it will :)

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I remember a Gibson electric mandolin (an old one) that came through the old music store. It had a pickup like one of those pre-P-90 Gibson pickups on the old hollowbody guitars, but with only 4 poles. That thing sounded killer! Bet that uke sounds great, too.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hey Dogbite!
That site is very cool! 8)

So, the ukes uses the same tuning than the four higher strings in the guitars... It is curious that the basses use the four lower strings. I always thought both instruments shared the same standard tuning.

Kroikey: I'm hearing your stuff. It has a great tone!

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My Uke is tuned to GCEA as far as I remember. I can't play much on it, been playing too much with my electric. But I sometimes pull it out and relearn a song on the Uke for a nice change of tone. I keep meaning to print out a Uke chord sheet, think I'll do that today.

@Nuno: Thanks Nuno, its the first time I've recorded SCOM at full speed, because I can barely do it. But its fun all the same! I'd love to know a little about what you think.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2