Clear all

Worst guitar solos ever?

55 Posts
29 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thought you might like to take a look at this....

Worst Guitar Solos

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

(@steinar-gregertsen)
Honorable Member

This is not in defense of Kurt Cobain, as I've always been totally indifferent to Nirvana's music, but this comment just doesn't make sense to me:
The solo for Smells Like Teen Spirit obviously fits the song perfectly, but technically speaking, it's just a few bars of tuneless nothing.

Well, in my book, if a solo "fits the song perfectly" then it's a good solo! :roll:

Alright, alright, I know, I shouldn't take stuff like this seriously, I just had to get it off my chest..... 8)

"Play to express, not to impress"
Website - YouTube

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

i'm probably in the minority here but i consider the solo in Freebird to be one of the worst.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Well, at least they got the Fred Durst thing right! :D Never understood him or that band. Just goes to show that you can really suck at being a musician/band and still make it big at least for a little while.

Before I turned 21, Twisted Sister played almost every Friday night in local place down the street from me aptly named
"The Hole in the Wall". I used to go there and just watch in amazement at how many people thought that TS was the ultimate band. They were decent live...in a small, small club. But for Dee Snyder to have represented heavy metal music in Congress, to me, was just ridiculous. Anyways, back on track...no surprise there either. TS solos were never that good.

Hmmm worst one I can think of....Um..ANYTHING I PLAY???!! :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Anything played by death metal bands.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

i'm probably in the minority here but i consider the solo in Freebird to be one of the worst.

Hmmm. Well it certainly suits the singing. Which means I agree with you.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

After a quick glance, it seems to me they have made the list from one criteria: How fast do they play?

We can agree to disagree about that criteria - I think :roll:

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yep, you sure are :-)

Anything by anyone using speed to cover up for a total lack of musical ability; I've heard some hideous stuff done by shredders who think they're the mutt's

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Nigel's solos were the worst. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD2I5LyHBFs

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

I find any solo that lasts longer than a minute bad. This is only one listener's opinion and will probably bring up the question: "One Winged Grungesunset Angel, if you don't like guitar solos why are you a guitarist?" but hear me out.

I just figure whether you are milking one note for 2 minutes or playing a million notes in two minutes, it's still kind of showing off. If a solo goes on for too long, which is about a minute for me, I sit there thinking "ok, you can play. Can we get back to the music now?" which for me means the vocals. That's not to say that I can't listen to music without vocals but a guitar solo over another guitar, a bass and drums just seems kinda hollow to me. But take Steve Vai's For The Love of God, when I hear it I picture the proganist of a story (none specifically) looking at the setting sun on the horizon and he's sad because he just lost someone close to him. At the end of the song, he sets off to avenge his friend. Yes I know I'm weird but I like instrumental stuff like that, where it paints a scene in my head. When I hear your typical rock or blues guitar solo, I just see the guitarist playing, and that image gets old fast.

So for me, any solo that goes on too long is trying to cover up a lack of skill or show off *pauses while the irony of that filters through* I just figure a solo should say something, and most of the popular ones I hear don't say anything.........at least to me.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I think one of the worst solos ever comes from Dave Mustaine during a Dream Theater cover of "Cemetery Gates" by Pantera. Wow that was a mouthful. Here's a better than average guitar player playing one of the most horrendous shreds ever... What key is he in??? Who knows. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiH_yDpyRDU
Go to 4:50 in to see Petrucci nail his solo, then out comes Dave Mustaine with such epic garbage I found myself listening to it over and over in disbelief. It's absolute horror.

Also, all you need is love by the beatles has one of the most horrible guitar solos ever in it.

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

umm..WHAT! Maybe I'm the minority, but I love the solo in Freebird, its so...free. I don't know, maybe its another example of differing music tastes.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

It is a different in taste, and no, you're definitly in the majority. I find it extraordinarily boring and repetitious - its the same three licks played over and over in various positions. Other people love it. I've only listened to the entire thing one time though, I usually turn it off after 40 seconds. Oddly, I love the song Freebird, just not the end solo. Uhh, the middle solo though I think is great.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Cover of the Rolling Stone - Dr. Hook . Although I know it was done in humor , it qualifies as the worst I've heard on a song that was a certified hit .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Cover of the Rolling Stone - Dr. Hook . Although I know it was done in humor , it qualifies as the worst I've heard on a song that was a certified hit .

I aspire to be good enough to be able to play that solo. :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4