Clear all

Good versatile Amp

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yep I'm back, I asked for a good versatile guitar last time, and many said Strat, so I went ahead and bought an Ibanez, really great guitar, with great pickups the guy put in, and at a great price, he even showed me the receipt for the APh-1 he put in at the neck and for the Seymour Duncan Custom Custom ( 300 green papers ) and the Tremol-no ( 75 bucks I believe ) and the guitar without anything was worth like 1000 bucks already, and I got it for 675 more or less, so I think I got a good deal.

Ok so what about the other half, amps, I'm really not looking for alot of effects, I'm just looking for a good clean, and a good distortion ( which I can't really find with Fender amps :( ). DOn't get me wrong I like the Fender Frontman 212-R I get to use in the worship group, cause I'm playing clean, but for some more heavy sounds I tried it and it doesn't sound that great.

Tube amps vs Solid State... I know this comes down to what I like, but i read somewhere that tube amps are more fragile ( cause of tubes ) and that I need to change the tubes every 8 months or so ?, But I heard from a guy who I seriously respect and value his opinion ( the guy who sold me the guitar ) told me this was not true and unless I hit my Tube amp ( hypothetical tube amp of course ) really hard or the tubes were too exposed that they could last a few years.

Solid State amps, I've heard that these can sometimes sound too digital?

What I absolutely want is to test the amp out, so that I absolutely love the sound ( cause mom said no more guitars or stuff after the amp to go with my guitar until I could buy my own xD), and make sure its durable and maybe that even has some kind of warranty ( I think thats the word for it right ? )

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

The world is your oyster my friend.

It really depends on what you want to use it for. Gigs? Basement? Your room? The garage?

Did you say what your budget was?

Tube amps being delicate is nonsense. The only trouble I've ever had with one is that I placed one in a bad location, the tubes got way too hot and from that point forward they were a little loose in the slots. Sometimes I needed to jiggle them in after taking them to a gig. I've never had one go bad. I have had a solid state amp go bad once, but that was long ago. I have a Fender Vibro Champ tube amp from the 70's that is still going strong, and a solid state of the same vintage. The nice thing about tube amps is that if a tube goes bad, and that rarely happens to me, you can replace it for cheap. What do you do if the solid state stops working?

I have a few amps, not as many as guitars mind you, but I find I get the best results when I combine a high quality effects pedal with an amp that will do good colorless amplification. I use either the M-Audio Black Box or the Digitech GNX3000. With that in mind, nothing beats the Tech21 line.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-Trademark-60-Combo-Amp?sku=480215

I really love my new Fallen Angel Tube amp too.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

:D I love long detailed replies lol.

Well my budget is around 300 dollars or maybe a bit more, but not right now, in a few months.

I'm really looking to the future, I don't think I'll be gigging at bars any time soon, I first need to be able to get in to a bar :P, but I desperately want a good amp for gigging, and an amp that I hope will last me a long time, I'm sure there are other gigs somewhere for a determined 14 year old xD.

And also I need a good amp for jamming with my friends, I'm tired of using my uncle's Fender ( its a good amp, but I don't like the distortion X_X) to try to play heavier stuff, Beatles on it sounds awesome though :P.

So if I'm getting a Clean/Distortion only amp I should get a good multieffect pedal ?

EDIT: LOL thats an Acoustic Guitar amp ( gross xD ) maybe that same model for Electric guitars is out there ? xD

EDIT: I just saw this Marshall and it got my attention ( a bit over my price range, but :D we can always work that out.. some how O_O) http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-MG100DFX-Combo-?sku=483190

EDIT: Well I read the reviews and it has a 7 O_O on most things ( Harmony Central ), I was also looking at a Line 6 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272

Those get bad reviews too, sigh this is harder than shopping for guitars .

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I don't want to sound like and enabler or anything, but...

tubes sound better.
tubes sound better.
tubes sound better.

and, think of getting a distortion box to go with amp if you like the clean sound but are less keen on the dirty sound. this might work out better for you.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I like tubes also. Been through too many amps to mention, 40 maybe, more, I dunno? So, now it's back to tubes, only tubes, they're retro, and maybe they were always just best - someone got it right in the first place? 8)

I looked up your Frontman, and I used to have several Chorus amps like that. Pretty good, not too shabby at all, that's nice.

What you say about distortion, or overdrive is true. In many cases, a mega monster of a guitar will drive the amp anyway.

But you can definitely go for a favorite pedal, like a Snarlin' Dog, Big Muff or many, many out there. Ibanez Smashbox!

This thing is nuts, a wild animal, insane, a killer on the loose, and more http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBATLSM7

Of course the Marshall in your link is very doable, just not exceptional IMO, because it's one of many, not a classic.

If you're not yet ready to get a Fender Twin Reverb, here's another classic you might be able to find used. :D
http://www.roland.com/products/en/JC-120/

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

lol what do you mean READY for a Fender Twin Reverb, I'll never be ready for a Fender... never!

I used the Frontman today ( with the worship group X_X, but thats another story) and it sounded quite well actually, I have an MXR distortion pedal ( I think thats Dunlop, a little yellow box :D ) my uncle gave to me, I have yet to test that with the Frontman.

It is loud, and it has crap Distortion xD, well its more like Overdrive not distortion, not muddy enough ( well I hate my Amp cause it is way too muddy, but distortion needs a little mud right ? )

I really need a stand for it though Cause its on the floor and I can't listen to myself when playing, maybe I'll get that one, I just need to run my Distortion Pedal through it to see if I like the sound.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

I am strictly a bedroom player.....
I purchased a 2nd hand 30w Peavey Classic (tube amp) and I loved it but I could not turn it up past about 2 with out rousing a few complaints...So I sold it...
Now I have a 30x Roland Cube (solid state) and I also love it.
It can take headphones and also I can plug my iPod into it.
I have a few pedals a Behringer TO800 (thanks for the tip Wes!) an MI Audio Blues and a Jimi Hendrix Wah that all play nice with the Roland mainly on the clean channel.
I also have a Roland Micro Cube (solid state) that can run on 6 AA batteries, great for the back yard.
Just my 2 bobs woth
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Lol I live on a hill, so volume is good, my only neighbour is the Mayor of the municipality ( he has alot of cops around his house O_O ). But he's never in his house anyway, so I can play anything with lotsa volume :D, and maybe I'll get used to it, I get so nervous whenever I am playing a really loud amp.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

$300 isn't a lot to get a larger tube amp if that's what you want. It will also depend on what kind of music you want to play. For $300 you're only going to be getting the smaller low featured 5W tube amps like the Epiphone Valve Jr (some like it, some like it a lot, I didn't and sold mine) or the Fender Champ 600. These will be fine for bedroom practice and jamming with friends as long as the drummer keeps his volume in line. They could also be miked and run through the PA if/when you play out but some of the places you might play as an underage person (maybe a school dance) won't have the right mikes and such for you to do this.

Another option to consider is the Tech 21 line of amps. These are analog modeling amps that use analog electronics to model tube amps - there is none of the sometimes harsh distortion or brittleness of the digital modeling amps (particularly the cheaper ones). If you wait and watch you'll find them going used for about $200 for the Trademark 30 and $300 for the Trademark 60.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote