Skip to content
Great Stretches Of ...

Notifications
Clear all

Great Stretches Of Albums by Bands/Artists?

26 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I was just thinking about this while reading an article on the new "Exile On Main Street" remastered set. The Stones had a great string of albums starting with Beggar's Banquet and ending with "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll".

Other bands, too, have had their hey-day stretched out over a few definitive great albums. Led Zep comes to mind with I thru IV and Houses Of The Holy. Maybe Pink Floyd with DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall. Some might not include Animals, but most 'Floyd fans would.

So, what other groups have done similar to this that you like?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@alangreen)

Queen - the albums Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack and Night At The Opera being their definitive performances IMO.

There were some great Brian May moments on other albums, but for sheer bombast these three have to be their peak.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The Who. From "A Quick One" in '66, "The Who Sell Out" a year later, "Tommy" in '69, "Live At Leeds" in 1970 (IMO, just as outstanding as "Ya-ya's" for a live album) "Who's Next" in 71 and "Quadrophenia" in 73. "Odds and sods" was a collection of outtakes and oddities released in 74, but I actually like it better than "The Who By Numbers" from the following year, although I think most Who fans would put the latter album in the "classic run!" From "A Quick One" to "Quadrophenia," though, those are all great albums.

Agree with you re the Stones, Roy - did you think I'd disagree for one minute? From Beggars Banquet to It's Only Rock'n'Roll, they were at their peak, and Exile On Main Street was the creme de la creme.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'd not argue against anyone plucking 3-straight at will from that era, Vic. Good stuff.

So, I know this is hard to fathom, but I have several volumes of Queen's Greatest Hits on CD as well as "A Night At The Opera". I've never listened to the other two albums. I'll have to purchase If I can't make playlists from the tracks I have.

And The Who. I can't remember the last time I heard "Quadrophenia" album. I almost grabbed that one a few weeks back, but opted for a David Gilmour DVD instead. I have "Tommy" and "Who's Next" I think I need some more Who stuff.

Vic, or anyone, maybe you can answer this question. Is this clip from "Live At Leeds", or "Isle of Whight", as a user commented? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3mWiV3_-2E&feature=PlayList&p=C66716CBBB0A0179&playnext_from=PL&index=63

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic, or anyone, maybe you can answer this question. Is this clip from "Live At Leeds", or "Isle of Whight", as a user commented?

That one's from the Isle of Wight. And as good as the "Live At Leeds" album is, the Who were even better at the IOW. Came on at some ungodly hour of the morning, played all of Tommy and most of the classics. I believe it's available on DVD now, and it's pretty near the top of my "must-have" list. Well actually, it's in the top three - "Exile," "IOW" and John Fogerty's "Long Road Home" DVD. Just need an influx of funds, is all.....

I don't think there's any live video footage available from "Live At Leeds" - I may be wrong, but if there is, I'm sure they'd have put a DVD out by now.

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I saw the IOW on VH-1 a month or two back. I agree that it's really good. It was a performance that would be hard to beat. On top of their game, for sure. It was as if they were both loose as well as determined and focussed on giving a peak performance.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I'd not argue against anyone plucking 3-straight at will from that era...

I'll take 3 Stones, please Roy. :D
Let it Bleed thru Exile is my favourite Stones period by a mile.
In my mind, Keith Richards gained the upper hand for a brief period, added overt country and gospel influences and with Mick Taylor (some or maybe a lot of Gram Parsons as well; accounts differ) really transformed the band.
I can think of any number of bands who had great strings of recordings. But mainly, in the 'more of the same but better' variety.
What's unique for me with the Stones in this stretch is the sensibility seemed to change so dramatically...and made for great records. I think of it as countrified Stones.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I think what REALLY separated the Stones from anyone else during that period was their willingness to experiment with different genres - they'd done blues, rock, ballads, and rock'n'roll, then they moved into country a little. But the biggest thing that happened to them in that period was Keef's discovery of open G and open D, his experimenting with those tunings, and his desperation to try something new and try to find a completely new sound. For me, that sound peaked on "Exile" - but he's carried on pretty well ever since then!

I never liked the Stones' "Disco" period - I still hate "Miss You," and a few similar songs from that period. For me, they went through a lull for a long time - couple of good tracks on Voodoo Lounge, then "Bridges To Babylon" was a return to the Stones we knew and loved. First time I heard "You'll Never Make A Saint Out Of Me," I thought, oh, YEAH.... the Stones are back.

Since then, there's been a few live DVD's - one from the Voodoo Lounge tour, the "Stripped" DVD, and a couple of others that prove as a live band they have absolutely no peers. For me, anyway! And, sadly, I've still never seen 'em live....one of these days, eh? If there's one band I do want to see live before I die, it's GOT to be the Stones!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Oh and just to put things in perspective, I asked a few of my daughter's friends (she's 23 - most of her friends are aged between about 20 and 27) who's the band you'd most like to see live? Red Hot Chili Peppers came out top by a long way, followed by a few british groups - Snow Patrol, Arctic Monkeys and Kasabian....

Just thought I'd pass that on, for what it's worth!

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Did ZZ Top have a defining set of Albums? I've recently discovered that I now like them, although you can keep some of the 80's pop rock. I am probably going to get Les Ombres (I know I just botched that one up, wife is wanting to bring me shopping and is waiting on me.

Ahhh, the Stones and experiments. Nothing like the stretch of songs on Sticky Fingers. "I Got The Blues", "Sister Morphine", "Dead Flowers" and "Moonlight Mile". Talk about some different tunes, eh? In case anyone's wondering, "Bi**h" is right before that. The album's only crime is that it was not a double album.

Oh, and the last Stones show I saw, they FINALLY played "Dead Flowers". A few nights earlier in Virginia, they played "Sweet Virginia". My sister-in-law and hubby dug it. The play mostly the same line up, switching out 2 or 3 song slots per show. Mick (or someone) decided that he was in NC and that we all liked Country Music. Not so, but I'm glad they did it. I remember when the first few chords were strummed that I was quite excited and explained to the teenagers surrounding me as they asked me what this was. They opened up to it more than I thought. (Yeah, I was a gray-beard in a sea of teens that night. I'm glad my son was one of them. :) )

OK, now I GOTTA go.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

RUSH:
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals

U2:
War
Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree

CLASH:
The Clash
Give 'Em Enough Rope
London Calling

SPRINGSTEEN:
Born to Run
Darkness on the Edge of Town
The River

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

:lol: Now, what were the odds that Slej WOULDN'T have chosen RUSH? :lol: Not that I disagree with the choice but I could have bet my house that the boys from the Great White North woulda been on his list! Nice pics bro! +10 for the Clash stuff!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Rock
Aerosmith:
Aerosmith
Get Your Wings
Toys in the Attic
Rocks
Draw the Line
Live Bootleg

Early Heavy Metal
Judas Priest:
Sad Wings of Destiny
Sin After Sin
Stained Class
Hell Bent For Leather
Unleashed in the East (Awesome live album!)
British Steel
Point of Entry

Rock (Again)
The Black Crowes
Shake Your Money Maker
The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
Amorica
Three Snakes and One Charm

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've got everything but one of the Rush albums and the Clash albums that slej mentioned. Curiously including "Signals". I've heard many a Rush afficiando decalre "Signals" to not be a good one. I've always liked it. And the Clash...I probably have most of those three albums on my "Essentials Plus" collection. +/- 40 songs. Perhaps I'll make a playlist on my media player of those albums' tracks listings.

BL, I love "Get You Wings" and "Rocks" albums by Aerosmith. I have 1 and 3 on your list as well. I don't have any Judas and only have the debut album by The Black Crows. I was not big fan of them until I saw them open for Petty 4 or 5 years ago. I still need to get a live CD of theirs at some point. No Pantera?

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

:lol: Now, what were the odds that Slej WOULDN'T have chosen RUSH?
I was going to post the whole discography ... 8)

But, there was that rap part in Roll the Bones ... reminds me of the line "Every great band should be shot / before they make their Combat Rock." RtB was Rush's Combat Rock. I've forgiven them. :wink:

Interesting thread, Roy. Going through my collection, I realized how few bands have stretches of three or more albums that I would consider 'great.'

Gotta add the first three Tom Petty albums to the list:
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
You're Gonna Get It
Damn the Torpedoes

(edit: LOL, I did not write 'darn'. Family friendly forum!)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2