Skip to content
Great Stretches Of ...

Notifications
Clear all

Great Stretches Of Albums by Bands/Artists?

26 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

It just hit me that I called Blueline's favorite band, "Pantera". :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now I'm drawing a blank. Nothing new there.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Neil Young:
(Neil Young)*
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
After the Gold Rush
Harvest

Roxy Music:
Roxy Music
For Your Pleasure
Stranded

* I start with 'Neil Young' for the rare 4 spot, but a lot of people wouldn't.
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

It just hit me that I called Blueline's favorite band, "Pantera". :oops: :oops: :oops:

Now I'm drawing a blank. Nothing new there.

I DO like them. Favorite? Na, not really. It IS a shame that the Dime Bag Darryl was gunned down on stage though. The guy was an icreadible guitarist. BTW, I kept my list short. I coulda mentioned at least 50 other artists. Did you notice...I stayed away from mentioning Dream Theater?

I agree. This is a great thread.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Did you notice...I stayed away from mentioning Dream Theater?
That's the one I was trying to think of!

(we need an emoticon for a "duh!" moment. A Roy-a-con.)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

(we need an emoticon for a "duh!" moment. A Roy-a-con.)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

dylan's had 3. the freewheeling through blonde on blonde (greatest stretch of lyrics ever), his mid 70s stuff (blood on the tracks may be his seminal work), and time out of mind through together through life. a lot of his other stuff's good, but a lot's also inconsistent, as he constantly experiements with both sound and style.

the 3 jimi hendrix experience studio albums changed everything

miles davis from about 55-70 were maybe the greatest jazz records ever.

radiohead the bends through hail, excluding amnesiac, which is basically leftovers from kid a, regardless of what they might try to tell you.

most, if not all, of the beatles studio albums are classics.

early 90s rem.

early townes van zandt. probably the second greatest stretch of lyrics ever.

ReplyQuote
(@scrogdog)
Estimable Member

I think that a very good case could be made for the first six Black Sabbath albums.

Black Sabbath
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Volume 4
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage

These albums did more than define a band, they defined an entire genre in my opinion.

The albums also show an interesting progression for the band where they just did everything better than before. I'd say that the culmination of that progression was displayed in fine fashion on the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album.

That's not to say that Sabotage was a lesser work; no, no, no! As a matter of fact, again in my opinion, Sabatage marked a return to less progressive roots and is in my mind the greatest onslaught of metal music ever seen by humankind.

Clearly I am one of those who believes that in the world of metal there is Black Sabbath and then everyone else. :)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

How about Stevie Ray Vaughan???
Everyone forgets the impact this guy had. If you don't have his first 4 albums in your collection, somethins wrong!

Texas Flood
Couldn't Stand the Weather
Soul to Soul
In Step

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Pronounced 'Leh-nerd Skin-nerd'
Second Helping
Nothin' Fancy
Gimme Back My Bullets
Street Survivors

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Here's a trio of albums released that have made their band for them.

Styx:
1977 - Grand Illusion
1978 - Pieces of Eight
1979 - Cornerstone
1981 - Paradise Theater

and some styx fans might argue that Kilroy Was Here was a part of this. I don't know. Can't say as I remembered it all that well. Cornerstone too, for that matter.

And the earlier mention of da Boss by 'Slej. I'd be tempted, if allowed, to add in the 'Greetings album. Doing so, however, would mean I have to include "The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle". Aside from Rosalita and maybe 4th of July (Sandy), I thought it to be a little soft. Though call.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

How about Stevie Ray Vaughan???
Everyone forgets the impact this guy had. If you don't have his first 4 albums in your collection, somethins wrong!

Texas Flood
Couldn't Stand the Weather
Soul to Soul
In Step

it's funny, i have a couple srv albums, but i don't get much from them, but when he comes on the radio, it always rocks.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2