Clear all

Guitar Break-in Periods

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Do guitars have a break-in period? I'm mostly wondering about the neck.

My 2008 Squire Affinity Tele's neck has a little habit of getting too much curve in the neck. It seems to happen over-night. Unlike my other guitars, this one does not need to have a big weather change. I know, stop buying cheapos.

The upside is that I get to play slide tele for a week or two until I set it back up. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

All of mine have moved around a bit the first few weeks in a new place. The only new one I bought new was my LP, and that was rock stable till the dehumidfyer died one summer when we were away. Celler got WICKED humid. Well replaced the unit, then it over dryed the celler, and after I got it set right, I pulled the guitar out of its case and it was warpped BAD!!!!!!!!!!!! Had it setup by a buddy that builds guitars, and sence then its sounded better, and doesnt move a bit!! I think the new wood needed to get it all out of its system. :D

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I used to have one of my 5-gtr racks near a window with no direct sun-lightand under the HVAC vent for the room. Supposedly good quality windows, but i don't think so. They're much more stable on the opposite wall. Not get through the Spring & Autumn air changes good, but nothing is.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

There is no break-in period for guitars. Some laquers can cure for several years and acoustic guitars will sweeten and might need tuning on the braces. But there is no break-in period on a guitar.

ReplyQuote